PDA

View Full Version : BOREDOM

fayefaye
10-02-2003, 06:37 AM
BOREDOM. it plagues us all. has that horrifying death-grip on my life. i get the feeling i'm gonna be one of those ppl who look back on their life and realise they wasted their youth. and then spend the rest of the time trying to live vicariously thru their kids. other than reading, what are the weird *** things u do to stem boredom?

Koa
10-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Ahem...spend my time aimlessly in the internet...

I wasted all my youth already (only a small percentage of it was wasted in the internet after all, don't worry), now I'll waste my adulthood and finally be as old as I've been feeling since my wasted teenage years.

Let's hope at least before that i can produce some small piece of literature that will be remembered (ahahahahahahaha lol :D )

lazy cat
10-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Watching too many films on video or the cinema,listening to music ,endless phone conversations with friends,daydreaming... :)

Shea
10-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Oddly enough, I really don't get bored. Maybe because I usually have a book to read or sewing to do. But to add to the comments, I was thinking about this earlier today, and I remember when I was around the jr. high age, and wanted to listen to music I couldn't read at the same time. So, (and this is so sad!) I had a 100 peice puzzle that was a photo of a snow scene and I would put it together and take it apart over and over. If I'm not reading I have to have something to do with my hands. I'm rather glad that I've learned to sew and knit since then! :rolleyes:

b
10-03-2003, 08:44 AM
To be presice, and reveal a wicked association:

This is a quote from Baudelaire that hangs above my desk... Accompanied by the movie poster of L'Escenseur pour l'échafaud, which has music by Miles Davis:

C'est l'Ennui! - l'oeil chargé d'un pleur involontaire,
Il rêve d'échafauds en fumant son houka.
Tu le connais, lecteur, ce monstre délicat,
- Hypocrite lecteur, - mon semblable, - mon frère!

(And it is Boredom! Eye laden with involuntary tears,
Dreaming of scaffolds, pulls upon its pipe
You know it, reader, this delicate monster
- Hypocrite reader, - my likeness, - my brother! )

Koa
10-03-2003, 01:27 PM
I think I've heard at least part of it already... ;)

Ah, Baudelaire knew it, he knew everything! Le Spleen, l'ennui de vivre...

Rotty1021
10-03-2003, 10:45 PM
I am hardly plagued by ennui. If I don't have something to do, I find something. ;)

Koa
10-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Opposite for me. Even if i'd have plenty to do if I just wanted, I find myself staring at the ceiling (...or at a computer screen) for hours without concluding anything.

Rotty1021
10-04-2003, 11:30 AM
I get frustrated when I'm not accomplishing something, though it is important to just relax and hang out once and a while. I get the most satisfaction from reading, writing, and conversations.

KLO
10-04-2003, 05:29 PM
When I get bored, I clean. Yes, I do everything from dishes to laundry to general cleaning around the house or the car. I shamefully admit that I do not clean on a regular basis, so there is always something in my life that needs some cleaning. :oops:

lazy cat
10-04-2003, 05:39 PM
well i'm not fond of cleaning either,but when i'm bored it's the LAST thing that i want to do :rolleyes:

Shea
10-06-2003, 03:19 PM
sometimes I wonder if my husband plays goofy tricks on me by accident or on purpose. For instance this afternoon, I went to get my bottle of water out of the fridge and found it in the freezer. Can anyone guzzle a block of ice? :rolleyes:

AbdoRinbo
10-06-2003, 03:26 PM
Over the summer I saw tons of people carrying around these bottles of water (like trophies) that had huge ice-blocks in them that could only have been produced by freezing the water that was already in the bottle. Perhaps it wasn't a trick?

Shea
10-06-2003, 04:39 PM
No, I knew that he just took my bottle of water and stuck it in the freezer, I just don't know whether or not he did it on purpose. Sometimes he does things that I just don't understand, like taking the dish towel off the fridge handle and carring it off, so I either have to hunt all over the house for it (it's usually found in the media room or the office) or grab another one. Or, he'll make a pot of tea or coffee, won't tell me about it and then let's it stand so it gets too cold to drink :P . Or letting food cake up on the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher so that it doesn't come off and then putting them away anyway :P :P . I guess he'd just been a bachelor too long. None of that really bothers me (except the dishes thing), I just don't understand it.

I'm just glad he stopped pouring old coffee back in the coffee machine to be rebrewed! Yuck! :P :P :P (but he's so sweet!! :D)

den
10-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Boredom never plagues me, I'm too busy marvelling at how people become bored to be so myself.

Rotty1021
10-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Boredom never plagues me, I'm too busy marvelling at how people become bored to be so myself.

Pretty cool; I like that. A true observer of human nature. :D