PDA

View Full Version : The ENDING!

AmberLeighx3
11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
okay, the ending of this book TOTALLY threw me off...I guess I make things too difficult...BUT if someone could explain this to me it would be most appreciated...Was Valentine really dead? Was she just a dillusional figure in Maximilien's dying mind? In the book it says, "'Wake up, my darling, and look at me,' said Valentine with her adorable smile. Maximilien uttered a piercing cry." ::: Does this mean that he stabbed himself with the knife? Further down on the page it says, "The next morning at dawn Maximilien and Valentine were walking arm in arm along the shore." Does this mean like in his mind? or like in heaven? And if he's dead and this is his imagination...how is that happening? This totally threw my off! And Jacopo....where did that come from?? If they're dead..how did he get there? and how are they seeing Dantes and Haydee sail off....SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!! Thank you!

gamergirl216
11-03-2005, 08:32 PM
she didn't die and they really do walk the shores
idk bout the jacopo person/thing bc i already forgot

:yawnb: Heather

Aramis
11-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Jacopo doesn't die. Remember, he got the ship from Monte Cristo. (He sort of works for Monte Cristo now, which is why he came to get him and Haydee in the end.) Also, Monte Cristo gave Valentine a drink to make her appear dead. (Think "Romeo and Juliet", except Maximilien didn't kill himself at the end, and neither did she.) The two of them lived happily on the island, with Valentine's grandfather's blessing and Monte Cristo's fortune.

closedbyrequest
12-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah, Aramis is correct. Great name, by the way. I named my harddrives "Athos", "Aramis", and "Porthos".

Anyway, the Count gave a sedative to Valentine which allowed her to be burried. Then he dug her up and Haydee took her to Monte Cristo.