PDA

View Full Version : Let me start my tenure here with something light....

Amfortas
10-31-2005, 02:42 PM
What is the meaning and purpose if any of existence ?

Perspicacity
10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
To live, laugh, and love!!! :D

ThatIndividual
10-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Perspicacity, you are perspicacious indeed!

Amfortas, allow me to welcome you. I see that many have viewed your thread and failed to greet you, so here you are!

I notice your use of the singular form of the verb 'is' in your most interesting of questions. This seemingly implies that the meaning and purpose of existence is one thing. (Which frankly, it may be.) I, however, am not inclined to think so. Surely we may be as able to carve out a possible and plausible meaning for existence that could serve as the purpose as well, just as we could do the opposite, thus hypothesizing our way to a separate meaning and purpose.

Since you asked, I believe three things concerning your question, and they are as follows:

1. I believe existence is purposeless.

2. I believe existence is meaningless.

3. I believe that I am quite possibly wrong in my views.

Now that I think further on this one, I should certainly not fail to mention an all important 4th belief that I have erstwhile, and quite unjustly, overlooked.

4. I believe that each individual is free to, yes free and furthermore unable to not, create his or her own purpose and meaning in and for life. Whether these subjective purposes/meanings are congruent with the objective purpose/meaning is unknowable, at least before death, and therefore...

...meaningless.

Welcome friend.

ThatIndividual
10-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Oh, yes... I almost forgot. You wrote that you were going to start your tenure with "something light" and then proceeded to inquire of the meaning and purpose of existence.

I just wanted to point that out. I've no comment on that, just pointing it out. :)

Ever read any Heidegger?

ThatIndividual
11-08-2005, 07:31 PM
So where did Amfortas go?

subterranean
11-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi Amfortas, you might want to check out previous discussions in regards to purpose of existance/life in this thread (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4508)

Welcome on board :wave:

bluewire
11-26-2005, 05:09 AM

That, my friend, is for you to figure out on your own.

starrwriter
11-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Thirty-six.

smilingtearz
11-26-2005, 01:17 PM
hi amfortas :wave: welcome to litnet...

nice question u asked...
if its in ur own context...then thats something ur supposed to tell us..
and if its for everyone to answer depending on what they think is the meaning/purpose of existence is...well my answer(more than 1)

1)To thank ur creator by making the best use of ur ability
2)To play all Roles that im supposed to play...daughter, sister, friend...and wutever comes later
3) To be available for anyone who is in genuine need
4) To stand up to the expectations of people around me...and not to hurt anyone

now that i come to think of this...this is a wonderful question...there's so much to reflect upon!