PDA

View Full Version : teaching lit at high school

bhekti
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
if you were a teacher in a literature class in a high school, what would you say/do to the class in day one and last day?

becca2389
10-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but my english lit teachers generally went round each person with ice-breakers like what would be the perfect murder, what kind of fruit are you etc etc... Though not exactly to do with literature, they help ease first-day nerves and it's far easier to remember people and their personalities that way

subterranean
10-30-2005, 07:21 AM
First day: Like any other civilized people, the first thing I'd say is good morning/afternoon/evening. But of course I'd say that if the class is already in order situation.
Last day: probably I'd say: "will you all going to miss me?"

Maida
06-09-2006, 01:15 AM
The first day I'd hand out the class syllabus, and the usual first day procedures.

The last day I'd ask the students to evaluate me on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being bad teacher and 5 being super teacher! Then I'd tell them to enjoy their summer!

byquist
06-09-2006, 05:58 PM
First day I'd have them all do introductions -- telling about themselves. You have all year, so don't rush. Put the emphasis on them, not yourself.

Last day call out for pizza.

imthefoolonthehill
06-20-2006, 11:24 PM
First day, I'd introduce myself bla bla bla.

Write on the board: Rule #1. You are responsible for your actions.

Rule # 2. You are responsible for your actions.

Rule #3 Studying is an action.

Rule #4 Choosing not to study is an action.

Rule #5 No one runs out of choices. They just run out of good choices.

With that said, I'd smile, and tell them to write a short story about anything they want until the end of class.

genoveva
06-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Try letting the students create the classroom rules. They will be more apt to respect them if they create them.

imthefoolonthehill
06-22-2006, 02:16 AM
as recently as last year, I was a high school student. I would have taken advantage of that like none other.