PDA

View Full Version : One Thousand and One Ghosts

LeslieS
10-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Has anyone read this Dumas novel? I am reading it now. I think I'm missing a lot of the underlying political metaphors. Does anyone have any insights? Am I just being paranoid? It's an awfully simple plotline for Dumas.

LeslieS
10-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I found it interesting. After reading the introduction, I see that separating head from body may represent separating a monarch from his/her subjects. And yes, the political past can 'bite' the current regime. But the severed head has limited ability to harm the one who inflicted the wound.

Now that I'm writing this, it sounds really gory. I normally wouldn't touch the horror genre with a ten foot pole. But it IS near halloween, and this IS a Dumas novel, so allowances had to be made.

Is anyone else out there?

Darlin
10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Leslie, hi! I looked up this book and freaked when I read the brief summary. Don't know why I was so surprised to find it was about ghost - duh! :D But I hate scary stories and movies. Still, it's Dumas so I'll have to look into getting it. Seems really appropriate for this time of the year too! Funny we feel the same way but I guess not everyone's into horror.

Btw, are you going to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow on all Hallow's Eve when the forum's doing it? There's supposed to be a live chat too.

LeslieS
10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Darlin,

Don't worry - One Thousand and One Ghosts won't scare you. If I can read it, anyone can.

Thanks for the info about Sleepy Hollow, but I just started A Tale of Two Cities. Actually, I'm reading that at the same time I read another book and I've decided I should limit myself to two books at once. I might check out the live chat, though!

Let me know what you think about OTOG.