PDA

View Full Version : Aloha

starrwriter
10-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Yes, I live in Hawaii, tropical islands of sun and fun. The Air Force brought me here in 1972 -- the only good thing they ever did for me. I have lived on three islands: Maui, the Big Island and now I'm back in the big city of Honolulu.

I'm a former newspaper reporter and travel writer. I began writing fiction in 1990 and it took me 9 years to get my first book published. Two more books have been published since 2000 -- a mystery novel and an autobiographical novel. I have written a total of 77 short stories (my favorite fiction format) and 27 have been published in magazines and book anthologies. I write journalism pieces from time to time. Last year my magazine article about 5 fishermen lost at sea in a storm won a first-place award from the Society of Professional Journalists.

I grew up in a small town in Michigan and left for warmer climates after graduating from high school. I have a BS degree in anthropology from the University of Hawaii, but I have never used it for anything practical. When I'm not writing, I dabble in web design and software programming.

I was married for several years long ago, but you don't want to get me started on that. I plan to retire next year, ogle young bikini-clad tourist women on Waikiki Beach like a dirty old man, and write occasional short stories when the spirit moves me. And go snorkeling often. Half of the beauty of Hawaii is underwater.

B-Mental
10-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Hi Starrwriter, welcome to the forum. Maybe you could add some links to any of your writing that might be posted on the web. Cool, thanks

samercury
10-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Hello starrwriter :D

Welcome to the forum! I support B-Mental's request ;). See you around

starrwriter
10-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi Starrwriter, welcome to the forum. Maybe you could add some links to any of your writing that might be posted on the web.

Aside from my writing website, these are the latest of my stories published by ezines:

Juked (http://www.juked.com/2005/07/rendezvous.asp)
BeWrite (http://www.bewrite.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2451&mode=&order=0&thold=0)
Another Realm (http://anotherealm.com/modules/zmagazine/article.php?articleid=40)

B-Mental
10-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the links. I just read 'Rendesvous' and liked it very much. Makes me wonder what you're doing with schleps like us, well, me at least. Probably get some nasty pm about how I'm the only degenerate on the network. sie la vie

subterranean
10-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Interesting intro...For now, I can only say, welcome :wave:

starrwriter
10-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the links. I just read 'Rendesvous' and liked it very much. Makes me wonder what you're doing with schleps like us, well, me at least. Probably get some nasty pm about how I'm the only degenerate on the network. sie la vie

Verb: schlep
To pull along heavily, like a heavy load against a resistance.

We're all schleps when it comes to creative writing -- groping toward the Promised Land, as one writer put it.

Logos
10-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Great to meet you starrwriter :)

starrwriter
10-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Great to meet you starrwriter :)

Thanks to you and everyone else who has welcomed me. This looks like a very good forum.

Darlin
10-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Ooops! I forgot to welcome you a few days back, I was so busy reading some of your posts I forgot to come back here! It's nice to see you've jumped right in and made your self at home! Very nice indeed. Welcome! :wave:

starrwriter
10-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Ooops! I forgot to welcome you a few days back, I was so busy reading some of your posts I forgot to come back here! It's nice to see you've jumped right in and made your self at home! Very nice indeed. Welcome!
I always jump right in when the water looks inviting. Once I jumped into a school of sharks from a cliff on the Big Island. (They were only babies 1-2 feet long, but my fellow campers still thought I was crazy.)

Darlin
10-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Well, that does sound a little crazy but sometimes crazy can be a good thing. You can have a lot of fun too! :D