PDA

View Full Version : Great site, but...

bookworm15
10-22-2005, 10:57 AM
I really like this site. It's helped me tremendously with my assignment for Around the World in Eighty Days. We were supposed to look up a bunch of vocabulary - but my book is a different edition and some of the words have been changed. Here I could look up the words to find their context, then look them up in the dictionary.
I would like to know what's up with all the pop-ups, though. This site is terrible about that - like, I go to search a specific chapter, and instead get "Knock down Osama and win an ipod" which, unless I missed the connection, has absolutely nothing to do with Philieas Fogg's journey.

Admin
10-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Money makes the world go round. Still, so long as you use cookies, the number of popunders you'll see over the course of 24 hours is limited to 2, 3 max.

Also they're popunders (they pop behind your current window) instead of popups (popping infront of it).

Running the site costs money, but I've tried to limit the annoyance by using popunders instead of popups and by limiting the number each person will see.

Nightshade
10-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Admin Im curious how do they make you money? and as long as I dont have to buy anything can I help???
:D

Admin
10-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Popunders pay per view, usually around $0.004 per view. Not much one person could do to help that. Referring other people to the site always helps though.

Loki
10-22-2005, 08:47 PM
I would like to know what's up with all the pop-ups, though. This site is terrible about that - like, I go to search a specific chapter, and instead get "Knock down Osama and win an ipod" which, unless I missed the connection, has absolutely nothing to do with Philieas Fogg's journey.

I would suggest getting a pop-up killer (it works for popunders too), for example if you get the Google toolbar which is useful in many other ways as well, it has a free pop-up blocker inbuilt in it.

Nightshade
10-22-2005, 09:16 PM
another question admin but is theer a way ( and Im just not seeing it ) to go straight from one chpter to another in a text or do you have to go back to the menu??

subterranean
10-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Popunders pay per view, usually around $0.004 per view. Not much one person could do to help that. Referring other people to the site always helps though.

I often reffered this site to other peole (even strangers..only cause they said they love readings)..So I guess I'm a little helper :D...

starrwriter
10-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I think the 10,000 character limit is far too small for short stories. If you use big words, that translates to a limit of about 1,500 words, which is almost flash fiction. Short stories are generally defined as up to 8,000 words in length.

Can you increase the character limit for stories to at least 20,000 characters? And it should be a word limit, not a character limit, if possible. Maybe 3,000 words (which is only about 10 pages in a standard paperback book.)

Admin
10-23-2005, 07:16 PM
What are you talking about?

subterranean
10-23-2005, 08:47 PM
Maybe about a limitation when we post...I mean we can't use more than, for example, 2000 characters in PM or XXXX characters in thread...

starrwriter
10-24-2005, 12:24 AM
What are you talking about?

When I tried to post my short story "Antipodes," I got a message saying it was over the 10,000 character limit and that I would have to cut it. Didn't you know about this?

B-Mental
10-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Starr, you could try to cut and paste in multiple threads one after the other.

subterranean
10-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Yes, we have that limitation.

2000 characters for PM
10000 characters for posting

When I tried to post my short story "Antipodes," I got a message saying it was over the 10,000 character limit and that I would have to cut it. Didn't you know about this?

Admin
10-24-2005, 09:00 AM
That limit is hard coded, just break it up into multiple posts.