PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Romeo w/Rosaline vs. Romeo w/Juliet

sybarite
10-20-2005, 03:15 AM
just what the title says. how does romeo's language change? what does he go through? why?

Rosalind
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
I think that Romeo's crush on Rosaline is much more about this kid who actually enjoys being in 'love' and moping about, while his crush on Juliet is a bit more sincere. Maybe I'm cynical in thinking that the Romeo/Juliet romance is not exactly genuine True Love, as they meet, have two conversations, and elope, all in the space of fourty eight hours, but it's closer to the real thing than the Rosaline affair.

For one thing, Romeo mopes, sulks about and spews poetry about Rosaline, but that's it. He never does anything to actually get her attention; she doesn't even know who he is, and he's not putting a whole lot of effort into changing that. His poetry is very angsty and flowery. This is a young man who truly enjoys Nobly Suffering the Agonies of Love. It also means that Romeo has had even less interaction with Rosaline than he did with Juliet. At least they flirted and bantered a bit before getting into the vows of everlasting love.

When Romeo's affections transfer to Juliet, his poetry goes from angsty to euphoric. His images become deeper--no less flowery, of course, but more interesting. He seems to be thinking about Juliet herself, and his affection for her, and so putting the focus of the romance on the girl instead of on himself.

sybarite
10-21-2005, 01:29 AM
I agree with you, to a certain extent. However, I am required to use quotes to demonstrate his [Romeo's] change. Any suggestions?

This is a loose summary of my assignment:
Write a well thought out essay in which you focus on language, attitudes and actions of the character[s]. In the body, discuss specific illustrations of the characters' traits by analyzing relevant quotations and actions.

Basil
10-21-2005, 02:16 AM
You might look at the precise moment when Romeo and Juliet meet in act 1 scene 5, beginning with the line, "If I profane with my unworthiest hand" (line 90 in my text). What takes place between the two of them in the next fourteen lines or so? Why might this be significant?

sybarite
10-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Thank you. What might I say about his feelings for Rosaline, though, quote-wise?

And is there a sentence you can you use to sum up both, sort of like a thesis would?

Basil
10-23-2005, 09:23 PM
Actually, Friar Laurence summarizes Romeo's feelings for Rosaline better than I ever could. Find his comment on the subject, and I think you've got your thesis. (You might also reread Rosalind's post--her analysis seems right-on to me).

sybarite
10-24-2005, 12:42 AM
By both I mean a sort of comparison between his feelings for Juliet and Rosaline; what it all boils down to.