PDA

View Full Version : 'The Return of the Native': Favorites

Scheherazade
10-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Who is your favorite character in The Return of the Native and why? What is your favorite quote/passage?

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Scheherazade
10-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Yet once again, I find myself unable to like one particular character more than others in a book. Damon and Eustacia are out of question as I think they are two of the most selfish characters I have come across in books. I could never be sure of Diggory's motives throughout the book and also I find it a little sneaky that he has always appeared when something crucial was happening. Clym, even though might be a nice person, may be too nice for his own good and is a little dull.

I think I will go ahead and vote for Christian simply because he seems to be a simple character and I couldn't help liking him for his naivety.

EAP
11-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Heh, Eustacia probably.

But than again I liked (and hated) Heathcliff.

Jay
11-12-2005, 01:34 PM
The reddleman.

For some reason I remember a sentence (well, a page on which the sentence is):

"They were like those double stars which revolve round and round each other, and from a distance appear to be one."

I like stars ;)

Janine
11-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I loved the reddleman best. I don't think he was suspicious. Hardy believed in fate directing our course in life. Therefore, I think he wanted us to see Diggory as the real hero of this story. He is, in my eyes. I loved him from the beginning.

I love this book and should give it a second reading. It is not an easy book to read, but I felt it was worthwhile and one of Hardy's greats.

cheergirl37
03-02-2009, 05:33 PM
does anyone know a lot about this book?

eustacia6
10-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Eustacia. Obviously!

onioneater
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Listen to Alan Rickman's reading of this novel....It's amazing!

AdobeFlats
12-20-2009, 05:48 PM
This is only my 2nd-post so I hope I'm not transgressing any rules by posting here?

Eustacia is my favourite character, and the scene with the gloved-hand is genuinely funny. But, after aprrox 350 pages, for TH to introduce the w**r I found unnerving, because it hadn't been mentioned at all previously, and you knew instinctively that the denoument would take place there. Still worth a read.

Hope that's okay? I've used the asterisks so as not to spoil (completely) the book for those yet to read.