PDA

View Full Version : A Parallel Universe

ihrocks
09-26-2003, 06:20 PM
A friend and I were chatting today and somehow we happened on the thought of a parallel universe where odd things could happen. For instance:

Dr. Seuss would write "Cannery Row," complete with vividly colored illustrations and sing-song rhymes.

Charle Bukowski and Dylan Thomas would collaborate on "Green Eggs and Ham." Don't ask how they got green!

and

Henry Miller would write the "Nancy Drew" mysteries. The mystery is how Nancy has survived!

Silly nonsense, but does anyone else have ideas for books that might be reinterpreted by a different author?

ihrocks

fayefaye
09-27-2003, 02:53 AM
I can imagine Shakespeare written by Beatrix Potter. She'd replace all the characters with melodramatic bunnies and in the end they'd solve their problems over a cup of tea rather than killing themselves.

emily655321
05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
I've just been perusing the archives, and I want to unearth this thread and see what you guys have to say. Kind of like covers of songs, I guess, except they're "book covers." :D Okay, that was lame.

I want to see an Orwell version of the Starbellied Sneeches. I think it could work rather well. And I just want to hear Orwell say "sneech."

amuse
05-29-2004, 09:33 PM
roflmao

*s10cr* (stupid10characterrule)

edit: i love the sneetches on beaches...i really do. one of the best things about being on earth now, next to the hobbit books and movies.

amuse
05-29-2004, 09:37 PM
omg, em, you have almost as many posts as faye! and you have 100 or so more than moi.

i would like to see mark twain penning/performing mother goose nursery rhymes with barry white's bass. teehee. truly irreverent!

emily655321
05-30-2004, 08:52 PM
I think Dave Barry should rewrite Hunchback. It would be a page and a half long and a hell of a lot funnier.

fayefaye
06-01-2004, 05:42 AM
*swept up in forum nostalgia* wow.... how old is this thing? What a scary thought-all the crap I write stays up here forever. probably not as scary for me as for admin. :D awwww... poor Chris. :)

I miss ihrocks.

Sitaram
08-15-2005, 07:08 AM
See: "Why did the squirrel..."

http://users.htcomp.net/weis/sqwhy4eeyore.html

Anthony Trollope
Why, to avoid Mrs. Proudy and Mr. Slope, of course.

Douglas Adams
Forty-Two

Ernest Hemingway
To die. In the rain.

Jacques Derrida
Any number of contending discourses may be discovered within the act of the squirrel jumping the electrical-pole transformer, and each interpretation is equally valid as the authorial intent can never be discerned, because structuralism is DEAD, DAMMIT, DEAD!

Jacques Derrida
The question admits of limitless answers, since there is no one logocentric strategy of discourse that takes primacy over all others.

Jacques Derrida
What is the differance? The squirrel was merely deferring from one side of the electrical-pole transformer to other. And how do we get the idea of the squirrel in the first place? Does it exist outside of language?

James Joyce
Once upon a time a nicens little squirrel named baby tuckoo jumped the electrical-pole transformer and met a moocow coming down...

James Joyce
To forge in the smithy of its soul the uncreated conscience of its race.

Jane Austen
Because it is a truth universally acknowledged that a single squirrel, being posessed of a good fortune and presented with a good electrical-pole transformer, must be desirous of jumping.

Sartre
To impose a meaning upon her accidental existence.

Sartre
In order to act in good faith and be true to itself, the squirrel found it necessary to jump the electrical-pole transformer.

BigDaddy_GFS
09-20-2005, 05:06 PM
What if Quentin Tarentino wrote the 'Harry Potter' series????

Jay
09-20-2005, 05:18 PM
ok, that's a scary thought :D