PDA

View Full Version : hello from samantha

samanthachive
10-17-2005, 10:43 AM
hi, everyone, if any. I'm a girl from China and studying English literature recently. Actually, any native English speaker can be my teacher. I'm now looking for someone who knows something about John Donne and his The Sun Rising.

Darlin
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi, samanthachive and welcome. :wave: If you have any questions about John Donne you can ask in the poetry section or in one of the general literature forums I suppose or even start a thread. I'm sorry to say I've actually never heard of Donne though it seems some new members are interested in him.

Logos
10-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Hello samanthachive, welcome to the Literature Network forums :)

You can check this specific John Donne area of the forums and maybe post a specific question there:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13914

samercury
10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello samanthachive

Wellcome :D. I don't know much about Donne... Enjoy it here :D

subterranean
10-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Hello Samantha, welcome on board and have a good time :wave:

yellowfeverlime
10-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Hi Sam! How are you?

vidyanjali
10-20-2005, 05:08 AM
Hi Samantha,

Luckily I have read quite a bit on John Donne and enjoyed him too. He is basically a metaphysical poet and their characteristic feature includes the using of 'conceit' in poetry which is usually an intellectual contrivance used in argumentation. A startegy to prove conventionally inacceptable ideas as proper and acceptable. You see, Donne was a lawyer too and studied at Lincoln's Inn so he was obviously good at arguing. His poems were written privately and full of dramatisations. Read his The Flea, The Sun Rising and the Holy Sonnets.

The best of his quotes I like is: "Reason, your viceroy in me is weak." (from Holy Sonnets XIV)

Check out my blog

http://vidyanjali.blogspot.com

where I have written a poem as a reaction to John Donne's, The Flea.

vidyanjali
10-20-2005, 05:09 AM
This is Vidyanjali here. Forgot to add my name in the previous msg.

Ciao!

samanthachive
10-20-2005, 09:16 AM
thank u all.

simon
10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Its truly amazing how many people post a hello. But I suppose this post is worse in pointing it out and then continuing to write. So I may as well welcome you as well. Where are you from in China?

samanthachive
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
simon, thank u for your welcome. i'm from Shanghai.