PDA

View Full Version : Which edition?

Rotty1021
09-24-2003, 04:04 PM
I am considering reading the Bible, and was wondering which edition would suffice. I am looking for something that is well translated, and does not have microscopic print. I was thinking about an Oxford or Penguin edition. Any ideas?

Shea
09-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Somehow over the course of my life I wound up with two editions of Thomas Nelson Publishers NKJV. But I recommend it. I can compare it to my greek verson easily and it's in giant print. Although the concordance leaves much to be desired.

Rotty1021
09-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Is this a university printing, or available in retail stores?

Shea
09-25-2003, 07:56 AM
I think you can get it in retail stores, but I'm not sure. One of mine was given to me when I was baptized and I have no idea where the other one came from. My parents kept Bibles everywhere around the house because we were always having a study of some sort. I have many other editions and versions, but the one I mentioned is my favorite.

Eloise
09-30-2003, 01:12 AM
If you want to compare translations, www.biblegateway.net is a good place to look. They have most of the major translations there.

Chardata
10-01-2003, 08:10 PM
i like the new american version and the NIV. My personal opinion. Ummm...the New American keeps the order of the sentence structure of the orig. Hewbrew etc. texts. But, the NIV makes more sence. It's up to you.