PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if the universe has not doubled

amoka
10-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Could you tell if, one day, everything in the universe has not doubled in size?

Rosalind
10-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Oooom. Interesting question.

Because perception of size depends entirely on relativity, I imagine that you wouldn't be able to tell. Your cell phone still looks small because it retains the same ratio to your hand. However, would you be able to tell something was different about your own size? Wouldn't you feel a bit bulkier or a bit unbalanced for a bit? And wouldn't the earth have a greater gravitational pull? I don't know much about physics or space, so I'm not sure.

Nightshade
10-13-2005, 03:55 AM
probably les gravitational pull but if we are bigger then no because itll be to the same scale wont it ....?

Taliesin
10-13-2005, 07:02 AM
If we are not mistaken, isn't it a thing suggested in one of those quantum theories that the speed of light is always the same?

B-Mental
10-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Recently proven to be wrong, scientists have excited a photon to exceed the speed of light.

Nightshade
10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
explain!:confused:

please:D

B-Mental
10-15-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure I understand either, but they talked about it on National Public Radio on a science friday.

I think that the way that the scientists could only do it in a vacuum, and actually physicists are frequently finding holes in the way that physics work. The prize goes to the person that can create a universal theory of physics that can explain variances in physics on the quantum level and the astronomical level.

starrwriter
10-27-2005, 03:22 PM
Could you tell if, one day, everything in the universe has not doubled in size?
Funny you should mention that. For years I have been developing a personal theory that the universe and all matter in it are expanding in size. In other words, the Big Bang is still happening.

BUT (and here's the twist) a tiny amount of matter and space is escaping this universal expansion and becoming infinitesimal in size, relative to us. In this infinitesimal universe things are very different: distance is relative to scale (and idea that comes from fractal geometry) and consequently so are space, time and motion.

My theory has led me to a startling conclusion. Future space exploration will be inward to the infinitesimal universe rather than outward to the vast and perhaps unreachable distances involved in the macro universe.

I know it sounds weird, but so did the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics when they were first proposed.

Union Jack
10-29-2005, 01:53 PM
What if, since the Big Bang, matter itself has been constantly expanding, in proportion to itself… Were that true, and if expansion is still occurring, could one be constantly expanding and not notice it? Because everything is expanding together, and thus scale remains the same, you would not notice that you are “growing,” since your environment was growing along with you. Is simultaneous, infinite expansion possible?

starrwriter
10-29-2005, 02:07 PM
What if, since the Big Bang, matter itself has been constantly expanding, in proportion to itself… Were that true, and if expansion is still occurring, could one be constantly expanding and not notice it? Because everything is expanding together, and thus scale remains the same, you would not notice that you are “growing,” since your environment was growing along with you. Is simultaneous, infinite expansion possible?
Yes. The universe began smaller than an atom, but containing an enormous amount of energy. And you wouldn't notice that you and other things are expanding UNLESS you had a point of reference like a piece of the universe that wasn't expanding. It would appear to shrink as you expanded.

My theory was partly inspired by Richard Matheson's sci-fi story "The Incredible Shrinking Man." At the end of the novel the tiny protagonist wonders if he is a man of the future as he enters an infinitesimal universe.

ThatIndividual
10-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Easy question. We don't know that the universe hasn't doubled in size.

ThatIndividual
10-31-2005, 09:38 PM
For that matter, we don't know much of anything. Most of what we claim that we know is merely the result of our misunderstanding of the full meaning of what it is to know .

BSturdy
10-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Has understanding doubled also?

That would be good for me! : )

Would I still want to believe that the holy (sic) brazilian rainforest is quickly halfing?

ThatIndividual
10-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Perhaps, however (and I'm quite sure that you forsee what it is that I'm going to say) that which is to be understood has doubled as well, therefore, by proportion, our understanding stands in no different a position in relation to that which is to be understood. I know, I know... Shucks.

Xamonas Chegwe
01-05-2006, 08:40 PM
As I understand it, the "variable speed of light", if true, is virtually imperceptible. Scientists have proposed that slight changes may have occured gradually over billions of years. This is also only one theory among many.

New Scientist Article (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6092)

However, in order for a doubling of the size of everything in the universe to occur without being noticed, the speed of light would also have to double. And in order for the increase in the speed of light to go unnoticed, either the charge on the electron would have to double, or Planck's constant would have to halve - to preserve the Fine Structure Constant (See linked article).

Either of these would have other knock on effects on many other physical equations (not to mention the phsical universe). Personally, I don't know anywhere near enough quantum physics or cosmology to speculate exactly how many other constants and variables would be affected but I think the chances of the doubling going unnoticed are remote, one way or another.

Joakim
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
There is a theory that the mass of the universe can be meassured. There are some bbc documentarys about these things.
So I supose that if we know the mass we will know how fast the universe is expanding or if the mass itself increase at all.

rachel
01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Well
even if it has doubled, since I wasn't worried about the size of it before I am quite certain I shall sleep soundly at night in spite of it.
Now if only I could be that calm about the company that is coming for a Russian dinner on Monday.

trucks
04-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Being a bore I have to say you all are in for a treat . With some embarrassment for
being out spoken about this ,it is just a knew discovery for me and I am amazed
:http://www.nealadams.com/nmu.html < that Neil Adams its on topic .