PDA

View Full Version : My Religion.

yellowfeverlime
10-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I believe that instead of having one world, we have a ton of different worlds. This happens when you have a choice: let's sayt the choice is to drink alcohol or not to. You, instead of making the choice, are divided. One world has your decision of drinking, and the other has not to drink. It's weird, but i don't have a lot of time now, so i will explain more later. BTW: I call it the DIVIDE

OedipusReD
10-13-2005, 06:24 PM
*edit
I often enjoy the company of a beautiful asian female.

Darlin
10-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Ultimate dimensions, potential story fodder. Everyone's entitled to their opinions though I think Yellow's been chased off the forum.

B-Mental
10-27-2005, 04:27 AM
I've had a similar thought to yfl's. I'll try to simplify, if I can. Take the infinity symbol, it looks like the #8 only on its side. Each side of the symbol represents opposites: yes/no, white/black, happy/sad,etc. When you look at the symbol remember that the symbol exists in only the two dimensions of the screen, now imagine that an infinite number of planes exist turning your symbol into a a set ofthree dimensional orbs that share only one point or fulcrum. Each plane is a decision The fulcrum represents the individual making the choices. Every choice the individual makes (good/bad,) takes that person towards that side of the two orbs and yet the fulcrum remains the same.

That gets a little confusing. The fulcrum is the individual, so actually the orbs change. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Lets take a look at yfl's example. The choice is to drink alcohol. Every time that the indivdual encounters this choice or plane the orbs shift to represent the outcome of the decision. The more times the choice is made in the same direction the further a person's orbs or identity move to an end member (drinker/abstainer). This is similar to yeng yang symbol in some cultures. The difficulty is that the closer one is to one end member, the further they are from the other. more to come...

yellowfeverlime
10-27-2005, 11:16 AM
well, i will simplify it even more. WHen you make a decision, you go through both sides of the 8 thingy- one side makes the right decision, and the other side makes a wrong decision. I guess its that's simple.

yellowfeverlime
10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
does it make sense?

starrwriter
10-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Your "religion" is actually the so-called many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, first proposed by physicist Hugh Everett in 1957. A recent poll of cosmologists revealed that 58% are convinced this strange theory is true (including Steven Hawking.) The many worlds theory explains certain phenomena that can't be understood in any other way.

A related idea is Bell's Theorem, which was verified in physical experiments in the 1990s. This proven theory shows that once objects become "entangled" at the quantum level, they affect each other instantaneously no matter how far they are apart (even light years!) This violates Einstein's idea that the speed of light is an absolute limit.

rachel
10-31-2005, 01:18 PM
What all of you said is indeed fascinating. To me it is simply cause and effect.Sowing and reaping.The combinations are limitless. Yet a scripture from ecclesiastes sort of sums up any number of things we can do: "there is nothing new under the sun."
steven hawking scares me.his mind reminds me of a tsunami in really slow motion-terrible yet beyond fascinating.

starrwriter
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
steven hawking scares me.his mind reminds me of a tsunami in really slow motion-terrible yet beyond fascinating.
Hawking also has some scary advice: we shouldn't be so eager to meet ETs because, in all likelihood, they will be so much more advanced than us they will treat us like we treat bugs.

rachel
11-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Starr,

yeah somehow I was afraid he'd say something like that. I watched him on a forum once, so eager and excited to be listening to the great Hawking. Halfway thru I felt like I had to visit the hospital and book myself in as a patient. I was totally wrung out by him. I seemed to hear eerie music the whole time.

subterranean
11-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Say, how do you manage conflicts in this "divide" worlds...

Looks very fragile to me....

I believe that instead of having one world, we have a ton of different worlds. This happens when you have a choice: let's sayt the choice is to drink alcohol or not to. You, instead of making the choice, are divided. One world has your decision of drinking, and the other has not to drink. It's weird, but i don't have a lot of time now, so i will explain more later. BTW: I call it the DIVIDE

Loki
11-02-2005, 04:47 AM
Actually, Sub, it's modern physics. There is a "parallel (also known as alternate) universes" theory which quite exactly encompasses all what YFL says. These universes exist at the same time as our one does - each one is only slightly different, in fact there may be more identical Earth's and Solar Systems in these alternate universes.

In case you're interested, BBC's take on parallel universes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/paralleluni.shtml) or The Scientific American's article on the subject. (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000F1EDD-B48A-1E90-8EA5809EC5880000)

yellowfeverlime
11-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Thank You! I guess i am talking about a famous thing... and i thought i was special... :(

starrwriter
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Thank You! I guess i am talking about a famous thing... and i thought i was special.(
My guess is the vast majority of people have never heard of Hugh Everett, John Bell or their quantum theories. Since you didn't know about them, either, you can take credit for envisioning an extraordinary view of reality that others are proving to be true.

pcockey
11-03-2005, 09:57 AM
It's interesting--a lot of people are starting to make the connection between quantum physics and religion. Dr. Amit Goswami's book The Self-Aware Universe theorizes on it, as does the recent movie What The &%#@ Do We Know? Might be some interesting things to check out...

EDIT: Oh, and Pullman's His Dark Materials series hits it in a very roundabout way--more on the religion than the science, but both are present, and it's a cool fictional look at it.

lil
11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
yellow,

I don't think there are such things as "good" or "bad" decisions... :cool:
If anyone is interested... my "religion" is sth like this: I'm here for the experience...

starrwriter
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
It's interesting--a lot of people are starting to make the connection between quantum physics and religion. Dr. Amit Goswami's book The Self-Aware Universe theorizes on it, as does the recent movie What The &%#@ Do We Know? Might be some interesting things to check out...
Also "The Tao of Physics," which points out the similar conclusions reached by quantum physicists and ancient eastern mystics.

subterranean
11-05-2005, 06:54 AM
Ah I see. Is it has the same idea with that movie series (forgot the title) where there is another "me" or "you" somewhere in different years/places?

Actually, Sub, it's modern physics. There is a "parallel (also known as alternate) universes" theory which quite exactly encompasses all what YFL says. These universes exist at the same time as our one does - each one is only slightly different, in fact there may be more identical Earth's and Solar Systems in these alternate universes.

In case you're interested, BBC's take on parallel universes (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2001/paralleluni.shtml) or The Scientific American's article on the subject. (http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000F1EDD-B48A-1E90-8EA5809EC5880000)

starrwriter
11-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Ah I see. Is it has the same idea with that movie series (forgot the title) where there is another "me" or "you" somewhere in different years/places?
There were two series, Sliders and Quantum Leap, but both were a little hokey.