PDA

View Full Version : The strike of nine!

EpItApH
09-28-2005, 05:10 PM
The strike of nine

Monday morning, as the clock struck 9:00, her entrance captured my eyes with no surprise of her presence; she strolls along the homely wooden floor to the front of the small cafe, her strides seeming lighter than air; as she takes her usual seat by the counter. She studies the menu for ten minutes, yet orders the usual.

Gently she reaches into her beautiful and strikingly expensive purse and takes out a novel. Her big brown innocence filled eyes, passionately concentrate on a love story as her delicate fingers turn the pages. And her reddish luscious lips read the words silently while taking sips from her cup of coffee.

Every now and then, she looks up from her book, to look out the large glass window of the café, at the windy street and the people passing by; then slowly removing a chunk of her perfect straight yet slightly wavy, dark brown hair away from her eyes, returns her complete attention to her book.

About an hour after her arrival she gently glides off her seat, puts her book back into her purse; pays the bill and gives a warm smile to the man handing back her change. And on her way out she leaves a generous tip in the tip jar.

I WATCHED her, everyday at this precise hour, enjoying her breakfast so peacefully; with her sophisticated perfection, delicate angel like beauty, and graceful behavior; as I sat at My usual seat, sipping My usual cup of coffee, I imagined what a wonderful and fulfilling life she must lead. In my head I painted a new portrait of her and her fairytale like life everyday. I could see everything she was, which I wanted to be; everything she had, which I wanted to have. I wanted to watch her the rest of the day. I wanted to know where she went after her breakfast. I wanted to know everything about her. But more than anything, I wanted.. to be her!

Everyday I watched her, and watched her; from day to day with a different novel in her hands. And everyday, I was overwhelmed with more and more envy. Oh how much I wanted it to be me, instead of her, walking into the café every morning, capturing all the attention and suddenly making everyone aware of the essence of her beauty, sophistication, and divine aroma which she carried into the room.

I watched and watched for many weeks and many months. Until one day the clock struck nine, my eyes went to the door, yet the door remained unopened. No gentle breeze bringing in that sweet familiar aroma, no lighter than air strides, no new love story, No One. Few days went by without her usual presence, few days more, I watched an empty seat.

I waited and waited. A month passed by. And as I waited another day, sipping my coffee, I noticed a photo on the table next to me, in the newspaper. I picked it up, it was her! Her photo published in the newspaper looking more beautiful than ever, and next to the photo was an article, the article consisting of the incident, of her devastating Suicide…And the last line of her suicide note; which read, “Oh how much I despised everything and everyone in my life; and how much I wanted… to be someone Else”.

Dailen
09-29-2005, 10:43 AM
When you get published......do let me know.

Your still in the mirror, What did I tell you about that. :)

This is a Trip.., I've developed a morbid facination,
with the reflections I see in your writing.
I'm gonna have to start putting out to keep up with you.
Or I could just sit back, and let you tell the story for
the rest of the lost :)
Rock on. Epi.

EpItApH
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
awwww shucks **blush blush..
Thank u Dailen, your too kind..
Also this is quite the contrary to the mirror theme, ie. the ending.. beacause this is more like the consequence to the mirror theme, innit?.. The story imposes a vivid moral.

Kaltrina
09-30-2005, 04:52 AM
Epitaph it's a beautiful story... I cannot write stories, unfortunately I don't have that talent, but whenever I read these kind of stories (which leave with my mouth open) by people like you I just stop and think and try to imagine how it is to have an imagination like you have. I really enjoyed every bit of the story, the details, the description of the girl, and especially the idea. it's really beautiful... do post more of your works... :p :D

EpItApH
09-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks so much Kaltrina... :)
Your comments mean alot, the words go right to the heart!...
they're truely inspiring...
Makes my effort worthwhile.. thank you...

YellowCrayola
09-30-2005, 11:34 PM
Great story! I love the moral. I've read your other posts as well, and like Dailen I liked the mirror story as well. Also, your poems held so much stuff (I can't find the right word! Forgive me) in them. You left me in amazement with your tales. That's a good thing. ;)

EpItApH
10-01-2005, 05:22 AM
Wow.. people here are so NICE!.. such a nice site..
I'm so flattered.. I'm actually an amateur writer.. I didn't realize my work is good enough to impress you guys.. :)
And dont worry abt finding the right word.. because leaving the reader speechless with your writing is the prime reward.