PDA

View Full Version : hi, there

pea
09-27-2005, 02:50 AM
hi, i came across this forum when searching for James Joyce. and i found it interesting. so i am here.
my english is poor so i have many problems in reading, but i really enjoy literature.
my favorite writer is Lu Xun, a great Chinese writer.
by the way, i'm Chinese, and i wonder how many chinese are there.

B-Mental
09-27-2005, 02:59 AM
I'll just take a guess...1.2 billion? lol. Welcome to the Forum. I am not very familiar with Chinese writers. What does Lu Xun write about? Is Lu Xun a modern writer? Joyce seems a difficult author, for one with a limited English vocabulary. Are you a student?

Your introduction reads very well, I'm sure your English is better than you believe.
Enjoy

pea
09-27-2005, 05:29 AM
1.3 billion :yawnb:

yeah, Joyce is not easy, but with a little help from my dictionary, i'm able to enjoy his works. in fact, i've only read Araby and Eveline. and i really liked them so i was looking for more.

Lu Xun (1881-1936) lived in times of turbulence and confusion; he mainly wrote about the problems exist in Chinese society. and was among the pioneers who introduced democracy into China.

i translated a very short story of Lu Xun, and i want to share it here.
lest i besmirch the reputation of a great writer, let me hasten to say that this story is thought to be among his worst and the translation is rather naive. :p

A Small Event
Six yeas have fleeted away since I came to the capital from countryside. The so-called affairs of state I witnessed and heard abound, however, no impression left on my mind. If I do try to seek their impact, the only one I can recall is that they impulse my ill temper—in fact, I became more ready to belittle others.
But there was one small event which meant a lot to me. It drawn me out of my gloom and remained always in my thoughts.
It was a winter morning in 1917. I had to, for my bread and butter, walk on the almost empty street in the teeth of the hard northern wind. It took me a lot of effort to hire a rickshaw. I told the rickshaw man to send me to the S gate. Before long, the northern wind blew gentler and the floating dust was swept away, revealing a clean road. And the rickshaw man starts to run faster. Just when we were approaching the S gate, a passerby knocked into the shaft and slowly collapsed.
It was an old woman with shabby clothes and grey hair, who had come across the road in front of us all of a sudden. Although the rickshaw man had made way for her, her worn-out waist, unbuttoned and blown open by the breeze, got entangle with the shaft. Fortunately, the rickshaw man had slowed down a little bit, otherwise she would have been bleeding.
Seeing her lay on the ground, the man paused. I concluded that she was not hurt, and there were no witnesses either. Therefore, I blamed him for being so officious as to ask for trouble and delay me.
“Don’t bother,” I told him,“ just go ahead.”
He paid no attention to my words—or he didn’t hear. Having placed the jinrikisha, he held up the old woman gently, supported her by the arm and asked:
“Are you aright?”
“I’m hurt.”
How could you? I saw you fall down slowly. I told myself that she was just pretending. What a loathsome woman! As to the rickshaw man, since he had made a rod for his back, he had to get out of trouble himself.
On hearing the woman’s reply, the rickshaw man didn’t hesitate to walk her along step by step, still holding her arm. Took aback, I stole a quick glance at the distance and find a police station. No one stood outside after the heavy wind. And it was the destination of the two.
Suddenly, a strange feeling stroke me. It seems that the dusty view of his back became large, and even larger as he went further, until I had to raise my head in order to take him in。Meanwhile, he turned into a sense of pressure, which was to squeeze all the “smallness” from under my parka.
My energy kind of stagnated at that moment, and I sat, motionless and vacant...

Aurora Ariel
09-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Hi Pea,
Welcome to the forum.I hope to see more of you around!I've always been interested in China.Best Wishes from Australia.:)

mono
09-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Wow, James Joyce even reads difficult for the common English-speaker; I cannot imagine reading something so challenging in another language.
Welcome to the forum, pea, and hopefully you will enjoy yourself here. ;)

Logos
09-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Hello pea :wave:

subterranean
09-27-2005, 08:23 PM
Hello Pea,,,

I too share the same opinion that Joyce's are little hard to read.

Welcome :wave: