PDA

View Full Version : The Scarlet Letter : One of my favorite books

JackJani
09-24-2005, 11:25 PM
If you are currently reading this book and have any questions or need help understanding part of it, please do not hesitate to contact me.. :)

I just finished reading the novel The Scarlet Letter, and here are a few of my opinions.

At first, I felt reluctant towards reading the book, thinking that it would be another one of those dreaded books we analyze in English class. Chapter 1 of the book is rather difficult to understand, not only due to its sophisticated vocabulary, but also because of Hawthorne's use of rich, descriptive imagery, symbolism, and other literary devices, which at first glance, might appear extremely confusing to the average reader. Yet, as I continued to read the next chapters, I felt more comfortable and I began to understand it quite well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things I like about the book is its lack of long, wordy physical descriptions of the minor characters. I think that the way characters look is not something too important in many novels. For example, does it really matter if a man who meets the major character have blue eyes or brown eyes? or is 7 feet tall or 4 feet tall? In the case of this novel, Hawthorne only descriptively illustrates his major characters--- Pearl, Dimmesdale, Chillingworth, and the sinful Hester--- and does not spend too much time describing less important characters. :thumbs_up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things I do not like about the book is its combination of events that appear to be so real and events that appear to be so planned and fake. For example, towards the middle of the novel, Pearl appears to have a spiritual union with the animals of the forest and she appears to enlighten them. I think that events such as these harm the quality of his work. It is true that good writers use events such as this one because they provide a theme or good imagery or symbolism. But Hawthorne's story appears so real, as real that it could have happened in real life, that little events such as these make his novel have the same made-up quality of cartoons. :mad: :mad:

But, overall I really enjoyed reading this book. Its content is fabulous, although sprinkled with unnecessary events such as the one above. And I
as I already mentioned, the book is filled with confusing words; "big" words. But this should not be a barrier for the reader, since the context helps him understand the meaning of the words.

If you are currently reading this book and have any questions or need help understanding part of it, please do not hesitate to contact me.. :)

Darlin
09-25-2005, 12:38 AM
The Scarlet Letter is one of my favorite books too. Having read nothing else by Hawthorne I was surprised that I did like it so much.

mono
09-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Hello, JackJani, welcome to the forum.
How wonderful to see another fan of Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter - most people, especially by requirement, dread reading it.
I read it first years ago in high school, but I do not think it really had an impact on me until years later when I read it again, and it resulted as one of my favorite novels. It seems very rich in symbolism on Hawthorne's ideas of deviance, self-reliance, independence, women's rights, and seemingly religious superstition. Pearl and Reverend Dimmesdale, oddly, interested me the most, and I would often wonder how Pearl would develop in later years; and I frequently wondered how Dimmesdale would turn out if the story continued.

shortysweetp
09-25-2005, 11:51 AM
I was one of those that had to read it for class and it was ok i think I was appreciate it more now so maybe I will reread it.

Bady_Bear
09-25-2005, 07:05 PM
I really got stuck in The Scarlet Letter, i have to read and answer the questions. I really don't understand anything. Can somebody help me? Add me in Yahoo : [email protected]

mono
09-26-2005, 11:59 AM
I really got stuck in The Scarlet Letter, i have to read and answer the questions. I really don't understand anything. Can somebody help me? Add me in Yahoo : [email protected]
You can just post the questions here if you like, and I, or anyone else, could help.

papayahed
09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
I was one of those that had to read it for class and it was ok i think I was appreciate it more now so maybe I will reread it.

What Shorty said. (Except I hated it in school).

Bady_Bear
09-27-2005, 01:36 AM
i got a packet to answer the questions about Scarlet Letter from my English class. Would u guys please help me out:
Chapter 3:
#1. What information does the Governor, the clergyman and the Reverend Mr. Dimmesdale try to get out of Hester Prynne?
#2. How does the Reverend Dimmesdale react to Hester Prynne's refusal to divulge who the father of the baby is?
#3. In response to the melodious words of the Reverend, what does the baby in Hester's arms do?
#4. Describe the man near the Indian that caught Hester Prynne's attention?
#5. What is the man's reaction to seeing Hester Prynne?
#6. Backing up.... What are the main points of Dimmesdale's eloquent plea on page sixty-three. Be detailed.

Those six questions i have to do over chapter 3, but i really don't understand what the author was talking about? Well, i understand the summary of the story, but i can't understand the details... therefore can u guys help me answer those 6 questions.
Thank you very much... and i'm looking for all of your reply.

JackJani
09-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Bady Bear, to get each of your questions answered, I highly recommend you to visit http://www.sparknotes.com/ then search for The Scarlet Letter, and click on Chapter 3.

I just read what sparknotes has to say about Chapter 3, and they answered every single question you need help with. Just read their little summary.

:cool:

mono
09-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Chapter 3:
#1. What information does the Governor, the clergyman and the Reverend Mr. Dimmesdale try to get out of Hester Prynne?
They question the father of Hester Prynne's child.

#2. How does the Reverend Dimmesdale react to Hester Prynne's refusal to divulge who the father of the baby is?
In a few words, he feels ashamed of himself.

#3. In response to the melodious words of the Reverend, what does the baby in Hester's arms do?
Pearl screams, and, no doubt, the Reverend thinks this as a significant sign.

#4. Describe the man near the Indian that caught Hester Prynne's attention?
I do not know of any Indian in chapter 3, but I remember Roger Chillingworth (Hester's husband) dresses in a combination of European and Native American attire. For obvious reasons he catches her attention and alerts her not to divulge his identity.

#5. What is the man's reaction to seeing Hester Prynne?
I highly doubt if Chillingworth wanted Hester to see him, so he feels shocked, and tells her not to disclose his true identity to anyone.

#6. Backing up.... What are the main points of Dimmesdale's eloquent plea on page sixty-three. Be detailed.
For this, I have no idea, since I may not own the same copy of The Scarlet Letter as you. I apologize, but hope I have helped.

daveknockwin
10-09-2005, 09:57 PM
can anyone help? i have to do a dialectical journal of the first 7 chapters. i have to get 10 quotes from each chapter and analyze them.

Natalie
10-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Ah! I am so frustrated - if I had a copy with me I could be so helpful - I read the poo out of this book and analyzed it until I was blue in the face at one point in life. Damn it's good. Anyway - so sorry - wish I could help - but I will say - the process of studying this work is worth the journey.
(I'm a cheezeball)

rhei_27
10-11-2005, 01:48 AM
A friend of mine suggested that I should read The Scarlet Letter and I tried reading it but unfortunately I didn't finished it. It was quite boring for me. Perhaps this sembreak I'll try to read it again.

helmetless2002
10-11-2005, 08:53 PM
i know 8 of them 10 quotes that my teacher gave me
\
1- Like all that pertain to crime it seemd never to habe known a youthful era. Before this ugly edifice and between it adn the wheel-track of hte street was a grass polot overgornw with burdok pigweed and apple peru and such unsightly vegetation which evidently foung something congenial in teh soil that had so early borne the black flower of civilized society a prison

2-I found them gorwing on a grave which boe no tombstone nor other memorial of the dead man save these ugly weeds that have taken apon themselves to keep in rememberance. t hey grew our of his heart adn typify...some hideosu secret hat was buried with him adn whuch he had done better to confess during his lifetime.

if someone would interpet those that would be sooooooooo appreaciated

lankan
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Can anyone help me find meaningful quotes on hester and chillingworth?

oscarjunk25
10-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Oh man I remember reading this book many years ago in school. I loved it too!

klawick
12-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Dimsdale interests me that most, I think. What are your thoughts on him?

Stephanie B.
12-20-2006, 01:09 AM
I guess i'm the odd ball I actually detested he book! I'm not quite sure of the reason. But i'll give it another try and draw new conclusions.

sharlasweet
02-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Can you please help me? I need to know what the backbone of Hester is? I also need to find the place in the book, where they describe Hester's worst character. Finally, I have to know which animal I should associate Hester with? I have found the animal, but it is too hard to come up with a metaphor for it.

cooper3330
06-24-2007, 01:11 PM
does anyone have any ideas for a theme or some lit devices in the scarlet letter...i was thinkin evil as the theme...and like imagery of the black man...but idk what else....any help would be appreciated...i was also thinkin maybe sin...any help?

leegrad09
08-23-2007, 10:04 PM
hey do i need some help, i have to do a dialectical journal over this and im still on the third chapter looking for quotes do you now of any quotes

brainstrain
09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this book as well! I just finished reading it for my English-III H class and it was quite magnificent.

About the surreal events, I fully agree. The 'a' emblazoned onto Dimmesdale's chest, the 'a' formed in the clouds during the shooting star scene, and Pearl's connection with nature - they really detract from an extremely realistic book.

Dimmesdale could've carved the 'a' there himself, which is a possibility, but it's clear that Hawthorne wants you to believe otherwise. The thing with Pearl and the animals is just unneccesary, and the 'a' in the sky...well, he explains it as one of those things that appears different to different people, which makes sense, but then everyone else sees it as an 'a' too >.<

mschlosser
09-25-2007, 10:55 PM
i need help finding the symoblic meaning of the a words like angel anger and agony as the relate the the scarllette letter

Dori
10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
I adored this book. I, like most people that have posted in this topic, read it in school. Hawthorne is most certainly my second favorite author (behind Victor Hugo).

I also liked The Crucible by Arthur Miller. I recommend it to those who have yet to read it.

Brittany31
02-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi, my name is Brittany. I have a few questions concerning "The Scarlet Letter." I do not understand it completely? So I have a few questions to ask you about it??? If you could please email me at: [email protected] I really need your help. So please contact me as soon as possible. Thank you! God Bless!::confused:

TH3 HAT3D ON3'S
04-24-2008, 10:42 AM
I also enjoyed The Scarlet Letter. I thought it to be a brave and daring story of a woman who is willing to stand for the choices she made and not drag the other person who was also within it, for she loved him to much and didn't want him to lose the respect the community had for him. It was a very inspiring novel for me because it showed me you can stand for want you believe is right and you don't have to be the type of person everyone wants you to be. But I do need help. I need to know what other people think about the book and why they belive what they belive. I have to finish this paper by May 1st and I also need quotes from the book!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! Le-Lou
contact me @ [email protected] thats where I am most often, I can't log in on this site all the time.

jinky
10-05-2008, 09:13 PM
im really stuck on how to write a really good essay on this book
the prompt is:

"Examine Hester's character for consistencies from the beginning to the conclusion of the story"

can someone help me create a outline of the essay?? :bawling:

please email me at [email protected] if u can

thanks a bunch

azcrazy
01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
hey , can you please help me with The Scarlet Letter? i have to devolve a chart in which i list of all the symbols Hawthorne uses, the literal meaning of the symbol, the symbolic meaning of the symbol, and a specific example of the novel of each of the symbols i listed....... please help me in anyway possiable , i will really appreciate it , you can email me at [email protected], please help

kallikearney
03-12-2010, 10:06 PM
can someone help me come with a research question for this book? we have to come with our own question and write a 4,000 word paper on it.

Chann
11-30-2010, 08:44 PM
The POWER of PRAYER…. Folks it’s all you need!

Dear Father, bless greatly this individual. Use them in a mighty way Lord, please. I pray for those that persecute a Christian faith, Father they know not what they do. But one day, every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that YOU, our Father, are King of Kings and Lord of Lords <3 Praise Your Holy Name!! Thank you Jesus for dying on the cross for our sins, Lord we are so unworthy. But You love us anyway :) Our old bodies get tired sometimes Lord, but You are the source of our strength. Bless now what You have given, and what You may take in Your Holy and Precious will, Christ Jesus. Keep us in Your will, Father. In Christ's Sweet Holy Name I pray, AMEN!!

Hello! Do you know Jesus as your personal Savior?
May the Lord bless you with this ability from Him, and only Him. Remember, you should pray for those that persecute you, AND Him. Do you know Jesus as your personal Savior?

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus LOVES you and He DIED for you. He will SAVE your soul from an ETERNAL hell if you will just ask Him into your heart today!

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Sinners Prayer"
Heavenly Father:
I come to you in prayer asking for the forgiveness of
my Sins. I confess with my mouth and believe with my
heart that Jesus is your Son, And that he died on the
Cross at Calvary that I might be forgiven and have
Eternal Life in the Kingdom of Heaven. Father, I believe
that Jesus rose from the dead and I ask you right now
to come in to my life and be my personal Lord and
Savior. I repent of my Sins and will Worship you all the
day's of my Life!. Because your word is truth, I confess
with my mouth that I am Born Again and Cleansed
by the Blood of Jesus! In Jesus Name, Amen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read the Sinners Prayer and truely believe the words you read, then
Praise the Lord as you have been saved and your name will appear in the
"Lambs Book of Life!"

The (1st) step is to purchase a Bible, so that you can start your relationship
with God! The next step is to find a church where you and your family can
go to worship. Did you know that, God and his Angels Celebrate, when his
children that were lost, come home? Well, they do! Praise God for Mercy.

One very important thing to remember is that Jesus knew you before you were ever concieved
in your Mothers womb. He knew every Sin that you would commit in this life and yet he still "Chose" to die on the Cross for you. Why? Because he loves you un-conditionally. Jesus
knows what we go through here in the world. Remember, he has been there and done that. So don't ever let the enemy convince you that God doesn't love you because he does and always will. Remember, Jesus said he would never leave nor forsake us. So when we feel un-loved its only because we have walked away from him. But he's still there right where we left him, waiting
for us to turn around and come back. Its so important that you know this, because you are "everything" to God and he loves you so much. Believe me when I say, the enemy will do anything he can to convince you that you are un-loved, a failure, worthless, ect. But the fact of the matter is; "You belong to Jesus Christ!" He paid the price for you with his Blood and he is not about to let you go! NEVER! God understands... Just talk to him for he is a very forgiving God! Believe me, I know. So be Blessed.. In Jesus Name!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9cYcMbmbzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDgVske63cY

Read and watch these videos, please!! God bless! ♥

James 4:15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

just pray ♥ Psalm 86:7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

Psalm 139
1O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.

5Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were

fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

17How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

18If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

19Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

23Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

24And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 48
1Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness.

2Beautiful for situation, the joy of the whole earth, is mount Zion, on the sides of the north, the city of the great King.

3God is known in her palaces for a refuge.

4For, lo, the kings were assembled, they passed by together.

5They saw it, and so they marvelled; they were troubled, and hasted away.

6Fear took hold upon them there, and pain, as of a woman in travail.

7Thou breakest the ships of Tarshish with an east wind.

8As we have heard, so have we seen in the city of the LORD of hosts, in the city of our God: God will establish it for ever.

Selah.

9We have thought of thy lovingkindness, O God, in the midst of thy temple.

10According to thy name, O God, so is thy praise unto the ends of the earth: thy right hand is full of righteousness.

11Let mount Zion rejoice, let the daughters of Judah be glad, because of thy judgments.

12Walk about Zion, and go round about her: tell the towers thereof.

13Mark ye well her bulwarks, consider her palaces; that ye may tell it to the generation following.

14For this God is our God for ever and ever: he will be our guide even unto death.

Psalm 91
1He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

2I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

3Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.

4He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

5Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;

6Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.

7A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.

8Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.

9Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;

10There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

11For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.

12They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

13Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.

14Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.

15He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.

16With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

1Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.

2He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

3How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering

fence.

4They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse

inwardly. Selah.

5My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

6He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.

7In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

8Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

9Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter

than vanity.

10Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

11God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.

12Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.