PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Reading Nominations

Scheherazade
09-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Please nominate a Halloween book you would like to read
(one suggestion from each member)
till the end of September.

Note that only the first 10 books will be included in the poll.

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

papayahed
09-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Zombie Survival Guide

Scheherazade
09-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Maybe I should close the nominations thread now before there are any other suggestions! ;)

Lady19thC
09-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Dracula, by Bram Stoker

Nightshade
09-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Anybody know of any good comic (sort of) vamipe books?

Taliesin
09-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Halloween? That is an american holiday, right?
Something to do with the spirit-time? With the spirits of the ancestors coming to earth and suchlike?
Well, as a pleasant book with a dark atmosphere, we nominate "Krabat" or "Satanic Mill" by Otfried Preusler. (it is one book with two different names)

Nightshade
09-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Its actuallyt a peagen festivle but the christians (to appease the pagens \whose land they over ran) declared the 31st of October All halo( spelling) ' s eve or saints night ( i think it saints night , but could be wrong) anyway its the night when the dead are supposedly most likly to walk the earth.

chatnoir1311
09-20-2005, 03:06 PM
I would like to read the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins , because I've heard it has got a bit of a dark-romantic touch,

Nightshade
09-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Ok I want to read Sleepy hollow by washington Ivring??
actually Im going to vote for the zombie guide but I thought Id just put in my 2 cents worth as Im bored :D

papayahed
09-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Its actuallyt a peagen festivle but the christians (to appease the pagens \whose land they over ran) declared the 31st of October All halo( spelling) ' s eve or saints night ( i think it saints night , but could be wrong) anyway its the night when the dead are supposedly most likly to walk the earth.

The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year.

That came from this website:

http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm

Lady19thC
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Pretty close, Nightshade! Halloween, or All Hallow's Eve, is the evening/night before the Holy Day "All Saints Day" (Nov.1st), a Christian Holy Day set apart to celebrate all the host of heaven. In Europe and Central/South America, this holiday is still very much in tact, being a time when one visits and decorates the graves of loved ones, and has a large Church attendance. In many countries there is no work on this day. America has really commercialized it, mostly since WWII, with costumes, parties and going door to door for "tricks or treats" on Halloween. It, like all Holy Days, has its roots from the Pagan times, when Rome tried to stamp all Pagan holidays and practices out by replacing them with Christian ones. It was believed to be an evening when the veil between this world and the other was very thin, and the dead could come back to wander the earth, or ghosts, goblins, and fairies could play tricks on those unexpected! Much like Midsummer Night, only "darker". It remains a Holy Day of Obligation in all Roman Catholic churches, and is one of the few Holy Days kept in common with the Anglican/Episcopalian Church, as well as Orthodox and many mainline Protestant Churches. For a fun read on some history of Halloween, see "The Halloween Tree", by Ray Bradbury, which I reread every Halloween afternoon! I highly recommend it!

papayahed
09-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Didn't you guys hear Scher??? The nominating is closed!!!! Zombies win!!

Although Sleepy Hollow has always scared me a little. (I had the record when I was a child and I had to hid the album cover because it scared me)

Nightshade
09-20-2005, 04:30 PM
ha pretty good guess for someone who has never celebrated it nor ever will and didnt live in a country that did till just about 2 years ago !!!

*edit* This post has been stamped as too self concieted by the ministry of smiles we apolagise on behalf of our nation for the puffiness of the ambassador she has bee reprimanded!!

Scheherazade
09-28-2005, 04:31 AM
Nominations so far:

Zombie Survival Guide
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Satanic Mill by Otfried Preusler
Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Sleepy Hollow

Last 3 days of nominations!

Nightshade
09-28-2005, 07:35 AM
scher, are these enough nominations? cant we vote now???
;)