PDA

View Full Version : New here

Nocturnal
09-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Silly me, I complely missed this section...
Anyway, hi you all. As you have guessed by now, I am new here. My name's Ana and I study English and Portuguese lit at college, in Lisbon. I love to read and whenever I feel up to it I also write, mostly poetry.
Apart from that I enjoy singing and am taking classes to better my voice.
My favourite authors are: John Milton, ALL the Romantics (Wordsworth, Coleridge, Shelly, Keats, Byron), William Blake, Y.B Yeats, Edgar Allen Poe, Edmund Spenser, Sir. Phillip Sidney, Willam Shakespeare, D.H Lawrence, Joseph Conrand, Stevenson, etc. (as not to unroll a long catalogue of names)
That's all for the time being, just hoping to have a good time here and learn as much as I can, as I am still a bit of an ignoramus...

Satine
09-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty new as well, but welcome and nice to meet you!

I really enjoy Hemmingway, Whitman and Dickinson poetry, Charles Dickens, Emily Bronte and Fitzgerald as far as the classics go. I DO read a lot of more mainstream fiction as well, and I'm *just* on the verge of getting into more sci-fi/fantasy. But like you, my list goes ON and ON.

Hopefully we can be geeks together. :)

Nocturnal
09-14-2005, 05:07 PM
I forgot the Brontė sisters!!! That's what I hate about lists, I ALWAYS end up forgetting someone.
It's not exactly the place for this, but if you want to get into sci-fi I highly recommend Frank Herbert's "Dune" series. It takes sci-fi to a whole different level, although it is somewhat dense.

Satine
09-14-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with talking Sci-Fi here! Great recommendation, and thanks a lot.

Koa
09-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Well as I said before...welcome to both of you!!!

mono
09-14-2005, 11:35 PM
My favourite authors are: John Milton, ALL the Romantics (Wordsworth, Coleridge, Shelly, Keats, Byron), William Blake, Y.B Yeats, Edgar Allen Poe, Edmund Spenser, Sir. Phillip Sidney, Willam Shakespeare, D.H Lawrence, Joseph Conrand, Stevenson, etc. (as not to unroll a long catalogue of names)
Wow! I think we will agree much on literary tastes, Nocturnal, as I, too, cannot quite dose my brain of enough Romanticism, and how rare to find such another fan of D.H. Lawrence - beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
I send my warmest welcomes. :)

Nocturnal
09-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Thank you koa and mono :)

I am a HUGE fan of everything Romantic-related. I have been saving money to visit the Lake District and all...one day, one day. A while ago I finished reading "The Last Man" by Mary Shelley. It includes a most delightful vaguely camouflaged portrait of Shelly and Byron, under the guize of the characters Adrian and Raymond, respectively, and how they react when a terrible plague razes out the whole human race. It was quite amazing, especially for anyone interested in Romantic trivia, as it is almost a biographic book, under the layer of fantastic fiction.

QUEENOFTHEFRIO
09-15-2005, 12:49 AM
HI EVERYONE...Yes, I'm new here! Just checking it out and hoping to learn!

volvoreta
09-15-2005, 04:54 AM
Welcome, Nocturnal
I like many of the authors you mention, but never make lists myself.