PDA

View Full Version : koans Stone In Your Mind

sanjaysehgal
09-13-2005, 03:39 AM
A Chinese Zen teacher lived alone in a small temple in the country. One day four travelling monks appeared and asked if they might make a fire in his yard to warm themselves.
While they were building the fire, the teacher heard them arguing about subjectivity and objectivity. He joined them and said: "There is a big stone. Do you consider it to be inside or outside your mind?"
One of the monks replied: "From the Buddhist view point everything is an objectification of mind, so I would say that the stone is inside my mind."
"Your head must feel very heavy," observed the teacher, "if you are carrying around a stone like that in your mind."
Previous

sanjaysehgal
09-13-2005, 03:41 AM
Koans are riddles used in the teaching of Buddhism to help the student achieve enlightenment. Koans are questions or statements that seem to defy conventional logic. Behind the divine veils of seemingly meaningless koans, lie the subtle realms of eternal truths.
Each koan is a moment of truth.
Each teaser, a stream of universal treatises.
Each poser, a beacon to your wisdom.
Probe. Interact. Mail us your introspective stories, koans, and share your views with others. Many will bless you for the new light you shed on simple sentences.
This Week's Koan
"Zen master Baoche of Mt. Mayu was fanning himself. A monk approached and said, "Master, the nature of wind is permanent and there is no place it does not reach. Why, then, do you fan yourself?"
"Although you understand that the nature of the wind is permanent," Baoche replied, "you do not understand the meaning of its reaching everywhere." "What is the meaning of its reaching everywhere?" asked the monk again. The master just kept fanning himself. The monk bowed deeply.

sanjaysehgal
09-13-2005, 03:45 AM
A pupil said to his master, "I want to be totally devoted to God. Tell me how I should talk, how I should dress, how I should act." The master replied, "I want to be spontaneous. Tell me how I should plan my day?"

sanjaysehgal
09-13-2005, 03:54 AM
"Enlightenment is not a state. It's a constant invitation to Now! Now! Now! Just to drop what is not there in the first place and become relaxed to what is already here.