PDA

View Full Version : Breathing and words

rachel
09-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Hello,

I stumbled upon this sight the other evening and something about it intrigued me.
I had just finished reading an excerpt of Tarzan, the first book and felt ashamed that I had never bothered to read this great classic before.
The way the author uses his words gave me a strange sensation, as if each word was oxygen that I breathed in and was nourished.
Such rich language and the method of writing swept me away.
Has anyone else read the series and did you feel the same way?

mono
09-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I read a few works by Burroughs as a child, and loved them all thoroughly, but your analogy really interests me, rachel - the concept of literature's words seeming like breathing (oddly, I have written a bit of poetry on this exact topic and analogy :p). I cannot remember precisely how I felt as a child, reading Burroughs, but I can honestly say that I have felt such a sensation reading much literature, particularly poetry.
Take notice of how the word 'inspiration' contains the fragmented word 'inspire,' which can mean 'to inhale.' When such a brilliant writer has accustomed himself/herself to composing so much literature, gaining inspiration from a diversity sources, writing seems something as natural as breathing; the breathe in the inspiration, and exhale the words we read. :)