PDA

View Full Version : Theme of Sin

ladywubboux
09-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I have a paper due tomorrow that I need to figure out the effects of sin on characters in The Scarlet Letter. I know the main sin is adultery, but I don't know the others. I need to be able to associate the sin and its effect to one of the main characters. Any help would be appreciated!

mono
09-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Hello, ladywubboux, welcome to the forum. :)
Out of all of the characters in The Scarlet Letter, not all of them committed what a strict Puritanical society would call "sin."
Hester Prynne, yes, committed "adultery;" the effect of the act on her, I think, mostly contributed to her secrecy, determination, self-reliance, and independency.
Pearl never necessary committed "sin," to its full definition, but seemed born out of "sin;" and, for this reason, seems cast away from her peers, and, in result, appears as a rather rebellious and mysterious child.
Roger Chillingworth, in my opinion, seems the most "sinful" and detestable out of the whole novel. He lies, committing deceit, declaring himself as a medical doctor; otherwise, he abandoned his wife (against marital vows), and appears greedy for power and money. Easily, this merely makes a monster out of Chillingworth.
Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale, a very enthusiastic and admirable preacher, commits sexual intercourse outside of marriage (with a married woman), renouncing any celibacy, which, I have no doubt, Puritans considered "sinful." Knowing his own guilt, this takes a toll on his physical health, but, eventually, turns him into a more, as with Hester, self-reliant man.
Good luck, and I hope I have helped!

ladywubboux
09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Thank you so much, that helps a lot!