PDA

View Full Version : Another VCE Monologue

katykrab
09-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Hi

Like Sean I'm also studying The Winter's Tale for my end of year VCE monologue (when I say end of year I mean in the middle of october...), except I'm performing Hermione's monologue from the courtroom scene. I would really appreciate any ideas/feedback etc about not only that monologue but also Hermione as a character. In particular i'm struggling to grasp her emotional state at the time of that scene- while i realise she's upset, i'm unsure as to whether i should be playing her as physically showing her emotions, or whether i should be conveying a more stable, sure-minded woman. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kate

Dotti56
09-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi Kate

I'm Kristie and I'm also oing Hermione and like you am totally stuck! But my teacher kinda said that at the start she is emotionally in disbelief and is, like, ummm... like "i cant bloody believe this!' lol sumthing like that, and then she starts pleading more and more after that. Hope it helps!!

byquist
09-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Hope to have time to get the play out, look at the speech, and give a hint or two.

But in the meantime, I saw a production a few years ago and when she entered that scene it was like she had been in a dungeon for two months, ragedy clothes, having been treated really low. Her beauty and sweetness in the beginning was now fairly haggard and exhausted. This physical change just in itself made a deep impression, of how meanness and cruelty could crush a good person. Leontes momentarily has immense power to destroy her. This is a trial and he is the judge. But out of that mistreatment she, like Desdamona, even though standing up for her honesty and defending herself from attack and insult, still retained sweetness of character. She is still trying to communicate the truth to him, to clear up his messed-up mind.

katykrab
09-09-2005, 02:22 AM
byquist and kristie, thanks for your advice. it's helped a lot! if anyone has anything else they want to add, it would be really appreciated.
Kate

Emily*
10-09-2007, 12:20 PM
hey i duno what VCE is but im doing the same hermione speech frmo the courtroom bit in my gold medal acting exam.
hermione embodies goodness, everything about her is virtuous, she stands up in a court infront of loads of her husbands friends, with no lawyer, having literaly just given birth (indicated by the line 'before i have got strength of limit' which means shes not even had time to sort herself out let alone rest since she gave birth) and defend herself for something she hasnt done. her language is extremely well structured considering wht shes been going through (bein imprisoned, not allowed to see her son..who then dies) which just shows how great she is and stuff. she tells her husband that she doesnt fear death because her life is so bad now that he thinks shes cheated on him, she only want to remain honourable and she trusts that the oracle will prove the truth...so basically shes pretty upset, but at the same time controlled coz u gotta convey wht a really good person she is, physically shes quite weak but she has a strong mind without being rude, she continues to plead to leontes to demonstrate her honesty. u have to find the balance between upset and stability, its not a straighforward scene. hope tht helps :D