PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Archetype
09-03-2005, 08:21 AM
:wave: Hello All

Schokokeks
09-03-2005, 04:07 PM
hi there! :wave:

interesting screen name! ;) I wonder whether that English word comes from the Greek αρχή (=origin) ? Does it mean something like "prototype" or such? :)

Anyway :D hope you'll like this place!

Koa
09-03-2005, 04:11 PM
I really suppose it come from Greek and yes it should have a similar meaning to prototype...cos in Italian we have exactly that same word (well, almost) which has a clear Greek origin as many other words.

1 An original model or type after which other similar things are patterned; a prototype: “‘Frankenstein’... ‘Dracula’... ‘Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde’... the archetypes that have influenced all subsequent horror stories” (New York Times).
2 An ideal example of a type; quintessence: an archetype of the successful entrepreneur.
3 In Jungian psychology, an inherited pattern of thought or symbolic imagery derived from the past collective experience and present in the individual unconscious.

Oh and btw hi Archetype and Schokokeks too, I dont think we've met before, if not 10 minutes ago in the German Lit. thread :) Welcome to both of you!

Nightshade
09-03-2005, 04:12 PM
hello :D
:wave:

avid_reader
09-03-2005, 04:15 PM
hello :):):)

Schokokeks
09-03-2005, 04:23 PM
hi Koa,

thank you for your welcome!

very nice of you to clarify that word-meaning for me :D
Mabye Archetype's inclined to explain how one comes across it as a screen name...?! ;)

avid_reader
09-03-2005, 04:33 PM
what about shokokeks ?
what does it mean ?

Koa
09-03-2005, 04:40 PM
chocolate cookies?
that's my guess :)

avid_reader
09-03-2005, 04:42 PM
should i read it as
'choco' + 'cakes' ?
cool. whoever said what's in a name ?

Schokokeks
09-03-2005, 04:47 PM
yepp, it's chocolate cookie! :D

your German's actually better than you want to admit, eh Koa?!? :p

hehe, I never thought of reading it as "choco-cakes", that's a nice hint, thanx avid-reader! ;) I actually adore both chocolate cookies and chocolate cakes very much :D

mono
09-03-2005, 05:52 PM
3 In Jungian psychology, an inherited pattern of thought or symbolic imagery derived from the past collective experience and present in the individual unconscious.
This definition seems what I first thought of, yet I honestly wonder if Archetype (the new forum member) just thought it an aesthetic word (as I do). :lol:
Welcome to the forum, Archetype. I hope you enjoy the silliness around here. ;)

Koa
09-03-2005, 07:00 PM
i didnt know about the jungan thing, well of course i barely understand all that being my knowledge so limited...
but i did have the Italian 'archetipo' in mind...
find an english very high word, it will almost always be the same as in italian one... power of latin/greek based words...:D