PDA

View Full Version : Rereading Cranford!

Lady19thC
08-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Right now I am doing a reread of Cranford, one of my favourite classics, which I usually reread every year or two. Has anyone noticed that Gaskell's voice, in this particular novel, is much like that of Jane Austen? Possibly because the story revolves around a small circle of people, like Jane Austen's society, but even the writing style is so similar. Any other Cranford fans out there?

yxmcmu
03-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Now I am doing my thesis for my master's degree, and Cranford is what I am studying. The women 'society' Mrs Gaskell describes in this book really intrests me, but right now I need some materials about it, anyone can help?Thank you.

billcito
10-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Right now I am doing a reread of Cranford, one of my favourite classics, which I usually reread every year or two. Has anyone noticed that Gaskell's voice, in this particular novel, is much like that of Jane Austen? Possibly because the story revolves around a small circle of people, like Jane Austen's society, but even the writing style is so similar. Any other Cranford fans out there?

I hope I will pleasantly surprise a few members by revealing that I, a 66-year-old gentleman, have been a Cranford fan since high school! I was an avid reader from childhood, and as my family had a large library, I devoured everything with equal curiosity, having no preconceptions. Although my favorites tended to be the typical boy-adventure things, along with 'The Wind in the Willows," my tastes quickly grew more sophisticated and in a few years I was reading Dickens, Thackeray, and Hardy with gusto. One day I picked up "Mrs. Gaskell's Cranford" as the old edition read on the cover, and started up. At first I thought "Oh, a story for old ladies!" but something made me persevere and before long I found myself delighted by the wit and quaint situations. And those sponge cakes sounded delicious! To this day, "Cranford" remains one of my "sleeper" novels that I often recommend to friends, and even a few male ones have admitted to enjoying it!