PDA

View Full Version : shame on me....

francoise
08-25-2005, 05:11 PM
:blush: even though so far i have considered myself a declared fan of Dumas, I am ashamed to admit that till' 2 hours ago I knew nothing about him. As I've come to my senses and adventured a little search on the all-known Google (that's how I found you guys :banana: ) I was surprised to find something about Dumas' first play: 'Henri III and his court'..I would be very grateful if someone could provide me some information about this play and especially about Chicot( Henri's chester) if you've heard of him...

Nightshade
08-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Hello:wave: sorry not really a dumas fan but im sure someone around here will know have you looked in the Dumas subforums?

Aramis
08-26-2005, 10:36 AM
francoise- I haven't been able to find either in any libraries or online, but I do know about them, if that helps you. Both of these happen to be written in the same era (the reign of Henri III). "Henri III and His Court", which was Dumas's first successful play, deals with Henri's cousin, the Duc de Guise, who is scheming to get power.

"Chicot, the Jester" is the second book in the Valois Romances. The first, which I thought was very interesting as I read it, was "Queen Margot", and I'll try to find the online text for you, because I know I ran across it somewhere. The third book is "The Forty Give Guardsmen".

mono
08-26-2005, 10:14 PM
I see we have gained quite a few big fans of Alexander Dumas, but for good reason! :thumbs_up
Welcome to the Literature Network, francoise - nice of you to join us. ;)

Aramis
08-29-2005, 10:35 AM
francoise - I found that link if you're interested. To read Queen Margot (under the title Marguerite de Valois, as it sometimes is), go here:

http://arthursclassicnovels.com/arthurs/dumas/margur10.html

(By the way, we'd be happy to see you in the Dumas section of the forum. ;))