PDA

View Full Version : A Must Read For Ambrose Bierce Fans

Pendragon
08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
If there is one book that fans of "Bitter" Bierce MUST NOT miss, it is his cynical THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY. Chock full of laughs, poetry, and Bierce's philosophy on life, it's entertainment at its best. And sometimes the old cynic perhaps is close enough to the true meaning of a word to make the reader say "Ouch!". Dragon out. :lol:

mono
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I love Ambrose Bierce's The Devil's Dictionary (though I think Bierce originally titled it The Cynic's Word Book). A few members posted some of their favorite "definitions," if you would like to take a glance at this thread:
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12641

subterranean
11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
When I visited project Gutenberg yesterday, I was thinking of dowloading the text. However, How to Live on 24 Hours a Day by Arnold Bennett got my attention first. I'll surely download The Devil's Dictionary next time I visited Gutenberg. Thanks Pendragon and Mono for your "advertisement" :D

If there is one book that fans of "Bitter" Bierce MUST NOT miss, it is his cynical THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY. Chock full of laughs, poetry, and Bierce's philosophy on life, it's entertainment at its best. And sometimes the old cynic perhaps is close enough to the true meaning of a word to make the reader say "Ouch!". Dragon out. :lol: