PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for Dumas besides usual 3 Musketeers?

Darlin
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has read any books by Dumas besides the Three Musketeers series, the Black Tulip and The Count of Monte Cristo. I found my local library has a whole slew of his books, some of them falling apart but quite readable and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

ArcherSnake
08-15-2005, 04:30 PM
The Knight Of Maison-Rouge is an old/new book of his that someone recently uncovered in an old attic or something, and it's absolutely awesome. You might want to look into it.

Darlin
08-16-2005, 06:23 AM
I actually have that book and it's one of my favorites. I found it at the library, read it and loved it. Just a few months ago I was able to buy an old copy at the Half Price Book Store. I really love the ending, full of self scarifice and of course it's full of Dumas' usual wit, action and romance.

But thank you for the recommendation. I appreciate it very much.

Aramis
08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
I really enjoyed The Conspirators (also titled Le Chevalier d'Harmental). What books does your library have, by the way? Are they all by him, or are some by his son (who shares his name)?

ArcherSnake
08-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Ah, I didnt know that he had a son with the same name. Was it his son, then, who wrote The Knight Of Maison-Rouge? It is about a later time period.

Aramis
08-16-2005, 07:41 PM
No, The Knight of Maison-Rouge was written by Dumas père (the elder). Not all publishers add the "père", but all books that I've seen that are written by his son are said to be by Alexandre Dumas fils (the younger).

Darlin
08-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Thank you, Aramis. I've read that one. My library, I'm in Cincinnati, has quite a lot of his works but they’re all clear as to which Dumas wrote which. I actually didn’t know his son wrote more than one novel, Camille. But lucky for me Dumas père’s books are stored away at the main library downtown where you have to request them from the librarian then after about ten minutes they appear magically on the counter - lol!

Of course I've read the 3 Musketeers books and the Count of Monte Cristo and I love them especially the first 3 Musketeers book. I’ve reread that one several times but I didn't realize I had access to so many and even the sequels till I started haunting the Half Price Book store which led me to do a search at the library one day.

After I discovered the libraries stash I went through quite a lot: Castle Epstein, The Page of the Duke of Savoy and Ascanio (both which I really enjoyed), Joseph Balsamo (fascinating), The Queen's Necklace, Ange Pitou (Taking the Bastille), The Countess Charny, Chicot the Jester (which was fun), The Companions of Jehu, The Two Diana’s, Queen Margot, The 45 Guardsmen, The Knight of Masion Rouge (one of my favorites) and the Black Tulip which started out slow but got to be much better.

I know there have been cases of people writing books under his name such as the supposedly final installation of the 3 Musketeers where Aramis is working with Porthos' son and Aramis finally dies. I read that and liked it myself even if it was Dumas, I always wanted to know what became of Aramis.

I wonder if you’ve ever heard of The Countess of Monte Cristo. I found that book for sale at booksamillion.com only I never knew he’d written something like that. Do you think that’s legitimate or a fraud? There’s also the Son of D’Artagnan, King Maker which I’ve heard is a fraud and haven’t read. Have you heard of these books and what do you think?

Aramis
08-17-2005, 05:20 PM
That sounds like quite a collection, Darlin. :) I've read some of the ones you've mentioned, but not all of them. For me, the problem is finding his books in libraries and bookstores. You're right; I wanted to know what became of Aramis, too, and I never understood why he was the only one of the four to survive the trilogy. (However, I wanted to hear it from Dumas, not some other author.) No, I do not believe The Countess of Monte Cristo is a legitimate book. (The Count of Monte Cristo had the perfect ending, anyway.)

Darlin
08-19-2005, 10:58 AM
I guess living in a galaxy far, far away would make it difficult to get to a decent library! :lol:

Aramis
08-19-2005, 01:28 PM
True. ;) There aren't many books from Earth around here.

Darlin
08-21-2005, 06:57 AM
:lol: Hey, where are all the Dumas fans? Not many?

Nicko124
08-22-2005, 04:03 AM
I am just finishing reading 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and I have really enjoyed it. I plan to read 'The Black Tulip' afterwards and hopefully 'The Three Muskateers' in the near future.

Can somebody tell me all of the books that relate to 'The Three Muskateers' series and the order they should be read?

Aramis
08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
1. The Three Musketeers
2. Twenty Years After
3. The Vicomte de Bragelonne
4. Ten Years Later
5. Louise de la Valliere
6. The Man in the Iron Mask

The last four are all actually part of The Vicomte de Bragelonne, and depending on the publisher, it is divided into either three or four books. (When it is only in three books, as my copy of the series is, the books are The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, and The Man in the IRon Mask.)

NNoah3
08-22-2005, 06:07 PM

I have already read "The Three Musketeers", "Twenty Years After", "The Count of Monte Cristo" and now I am reading "The Vicomte de Bragelonne".
I have really enjoyed them.

Bye :wave:

Aramis
08-22-2005, 06:15 PM
NNoah3- It just looks like we have our tiny little corner of the sky, though. We should start a little fan club here and try to get people excited about Dumas. :banana:

NNoah3
08-22-2005, 06:31 PM
NNoah3- It just looks like we have our tiny little corner of the sky, though. We should start a little fan club here and try to get people excited about Dumas. :banana:

Yes!!!! :thumbs_up

Lets inviting all the people who are fan of Dumas's books, to join the club.

:banana:

Aramis
08-23-2005, 06:20 PM
Well, there are at least two of us so far, and maybe Darlin. Are you still there, by the way, D?

Darlin
08-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Yep, still here. Just getting back from vacation and getting caught up on all my e-mail at work and home. That always takes a little time.

Three's a good number. One for all and all that. Pity more people don't appreciate Dumas' works. I found a lot of his stories have been made into movies, one that came out a few years ago in France, dubbed if you get it in America, Queen Margot.

Aramis
08-24-2005, 09:27 AM
Hmm. I honestly prefer subtitled works to dubbed ones, but I'll be on the lookout for it, in any case. Do you have any more information about it- directors and such?

ArcherSnake
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I wasnt aware until recently that The 3 Musketeers was kinda a series. I read The 3 Musketeers a long time ago, and one night I was channel-surfing and saw The Man In The Iron Mask with Leonardo DiCaprio. I was shocked to see D'Artanian (sp) and all those other guys show up! I've gotta read the actual book; I have Dumas' The Count Of Monte Christo lined up right now.

Aramis
08-25-2005, 09:21 AM
Yeah! We're all very happy for you, here. :D FYI- It's spelled D'Artagnan and Cristo, not Christo. Anyway, we shall brake out the balloons and celebrate. If only there was an appropriate smilie besides the dancing banana, which I use way too often. :thumbs_up

Darlin
08-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Hmm. I honestly prefer subtitled works to dubbed ones, but I'll be on the lookout for it, in any case. Do you have any more information about it- directors and such?

My bad as they say, it’s subtitled and you can probably get it from your library or order it at Amazon. It got great reviews but I've never seen it. Because it's bound to be action packed for me it's hard to keep up with the subtitles and the action I find with foreign movies and I have to sometimes watch them a second time or more to catch everything.

House of Flying Daggers I saw three times at the theater and when I bought it I couldn't bear to watch with the American dubbed voices. I ended up learning something new each time I watched it even after I bought it. But you know this has made me want to go out and rent Queen Margot after all, if I can enjoy Chinese and Japanese movies why not Dumas' book put to film?

Btw, what do you think about the Musketeer movies by Michael York? They went through all the novels if I'm not mistaken, rather condensed and then he did that one with Hallmark about D'Artagnan's daughter. Never saw any but the first one.

Aramis
08-26-2005, 10:06 AM
The book did have several action sequences, but there were also a lot of politics involved. That means that there were a lot of scenes with no action whatsoever. However, it still managed to be very bloody because of the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre and other fights. Of course, the movie might be different.

I did enjoy the two Michael York movies that I saw, though I think they only went as far as "Twenty Years After" (which was actually titled "The Return of the Musketeers"). Of course, he also was in the one about D'Artagnan's daughter, which is not based on a Dumas story. The two that I saw, however, "The Three Musketeers and "The Four Musketeers" (which are actually two parts of the same book), were probably the most accurate musketeer movies that I have ever seen. The only one that I enjoyed more was the 1993 Disney movie.

Themis
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Ad "Topic": If you haven't read it yet, you should read "Camille" by Alexandre Dumas. In French it's called "La Dame aux Camilias" and I think it's called "Camille" in English.
It's different from his other books but in my personal opinion, it's his best.

Darlin
09-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Ack! That's almost blashphemy! Lol! Camille's by the son not the master, father, pere! :nod: But thanks for the recommendation. I liked Camille but it is very, very different than the father's style and it's the father that I adore. His work is fast paced, full of action, romance and wonderful characters. His works simply excel.

Stephi
09-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi,
I am also a huge Dumas fan! I've read fourteen of his books in total, and I'm currently halfway through another.

Darlin
09-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Another girl with good taste! ;) And good for you! What book are you reading right now?

Stephi
09-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Joseph Balsamo, and I've just added the Chevalier de Maison Rouge to my collection! The total is now 17. :D

Darlin
09-23-2005, 04:24 PM
You know I think his books are addictive! When I discovered my library had his books in the rare books section I went through them as fast I could. I really enjoyed Joseph Balsamo and the Chevalier de Maison Rouge is a favorite of mine. I really like the way it ends. Fortunately I was able to buy a copy of that at the half price book store. You'll have to tell us what you think about Joseph Balsamo. :)

Stephi
09-24-2005, 05:47 AM
Yeah I definitely agree his books are addictive!! I'm on pg 193 out of 690 so far in Joseph Balsamo, and really enjoying it! :D

Darlin
09-25-2005, 02:36 AM
I think the book would make a great movie even nowadays. Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I wonder where the rest of our Dumas crews went off to? :)

italiansirena
10-04-2005, 01:10 AM
hi i'm new to the site and stumbled across your conversation about Alexandre Dumas. i've only read The Count of Monte Cristo from his works, and i know that he has over ninety different plays and novels but i was just wondering if anyone could spare me a moment to tell me the names of some of his works as i really enjoyed The Count of Monte Cristo and used to absolutely adore anything the three musketeers. thank you for your generosity.
bai teresa

Darlin
10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Italiansirena, I'm working on a list right now but he has so many it's going to take a while for me to put them in chronological order. Several of his books are series such as the Three Musketeers and it’s been awhile since I read them which means I’ve forgotten their proper order. Nevertheless here's a brief list including some that have been mentioned before. These are all in English but he has many more that haven't been translated I've noticed. Also you can see Aramis’ post about the Three Musketeers series if you’re interested, very informative about the order they should be read in. And I should mention there’s another book to that series which is called The son of Porthos, or, The death of Aramis but it’s been disputed whether or not Dumas wrote it. I enjoyed it as I thought it finished the series nicely overall.

The Page of the Duke of Savoy
Ascanio
The Black Tulip
The Count of Monte Cristo,
Castle Eppstein
Fernande: the story of a courtesan
The Corsican brothers: Corsica-Paris
The great lover and other plays
Horror at Fontenay
Adventures in Caucasia
My memoirs
Adventures with my pets
Adventures in Czarist Russia
All for a crown; or, The only love of King Henry the eighth. (Catherine Howard)
The journal of Madame Giovanni
The Neapolitan lovers
Monsieur de Chauvelin's will; The woman with the velvet necklace; Balanche de Beaulieu
Celebrated crimes
The war of women
Sylvandire

The following books are mostly, I believe, several different series which I don’t have the proper order yet):

Queen Margot,
Le Chevalier d'Harmental or the Conspirators
Louise de La Valliere
Marguerite de Valois
The forty-five guardsmen
The queen's necklace
Ange Pitou or Taking the Bastille
Chicot the Jester
The memoirs of a physician or Joseph Balsamo
The Countess de Charny
The two Diana’s
The Regent's daughter
The queen's necklace
The company of Jehu – 1894
The Knight of Masion-Rouge,
The whites and the blues

And welcome to the group! :wave: In my excitement I almost forgot that! :) :wave:

Stephi
10-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Wow that's quite an impressive list! :D I can help you sort out a couple of the series there...
The Valois Romances: Marguerite de Valois (La Reine Margot), Chicot the Jester, The Forty-Five Guardsmen
Another series is: Joseph Balsamo (Memoirs of a Physician), The Queen's Necklace, Taking the Bastille (Ange Pitou), The Countess de Charny, and The Chevalier de Maison Rouge (The Knight of Maison Rouge)
Louise de la Valliere is part of the Three Musketeers series. Not sure about the others, though I think The Chevalier d'Harmental (The Conspirators) and The Regent's Daughter are seperate novels.
And a big welcome to you, Italiansirena!! :D

Darlin
10-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Now that's a big help! Thank you, Stephi. That should really clear it up for her.

the musketeer
10-08-2005, 04:20 AM

I´m a big Dumas fan.
and a evan bigger Aramis (Réne d´Herblay) fan!

Darlin
10-08-2005, 12:49 PM
It's nice to see you over here. I just finished replying to your post about Aramis. Welcome fellow Dumas fan! :wave: Btw, have you read the book where Aramis dies? The final Musketeer.

the musketeer
10-09-2005, 06:19 AM
no.. i am not finninsh whith the man in the iron mask and when i am. then i start reading Harry Potter 6.
I hav to read 25 pages a day to be finninsh in time.
and some days i just don´t have the time, i hade days like that.

Darlin
10-09-2005, 06:59 AM
What do you mean finished in time? Have you set a deadline for HP6? I should be so ambitious. For some reason I've no desire at all to read it and it's just sitting on my computer desk. But good for you. You'll have to tell me if you liked it or not.

the musketeer
10-09-2005, 07:57 AM
as i toold you i am not English, no I am danish ( that´s the reasen way i can´t spell very good), and Harry Potter 6 is not transtaletet to Danish yet.
I am a big fan og Harry Potter and i hav to read wen it comes, and that means that i hav to be finninsh with the man in the iron mask first, then i have to read 25 pages to
be finnish in time before harry potter comes.
(it comes next saterday)

Darlin
10-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Ah! I see. Well that's cool. About your spelling I wouldn't worry about it because half the English speaking people on the net can't spell or they use some kind of abbreviated net speak. Not only that but I've noticed a lot of American's can't speak English much better than they spell much less write in a second language. I'm exaggerating but only because it's so commendable that you can write English and not do too badly at all.

So does this mean you've read the entire Musketeer series after the Man in the Iron Mask?

the musketeer
10-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the spelling thing..
what do you men whith the last ?
I hav read The three musketeers, 20 years after and now I´m reading the last book I am nerly finninshed whith it ( in Denmark the last 4 books is in one, whith another title)
But have you read the last one where Aramis dies? and if you hav then, hav does he die?
I mean he is very old but normely they never die becorse of "that" (i don´t now hav to spell it)
I mean i hav a list over my favorit persons in books there is death and there´s 14 people on it now:

The duke of buckingham
Lord Winter
Sirius Black
Constance

And i coud cary on for ever.

Darlin
10-10-2005, 03:27 PM
That's a good question! How does he die? I don't quite remember. It's been a few years. That's kind of sad but my memory fails me. It's in The son of Porthos, or, The death of Aramis if you can get a copy.

And about the last I guess I should have phrased it better. I know many people kind of skip the books in between so I was wondering if you'd gone through the entire series with The Man in the Iron Mask being the last book. Looks like you have which makes for a better read imo. :)

the musketeer
10-11-2005, 08:56 AM
what do you think about The duke of Buckingham (the old one)? after Aramis he is my favorit karakter. (and after Athos and d´Artagnan)
Sorry if thats stupid question, but I don´t now what els I can say.
I really hade my lady for maiking Felton kill Buckingham, he was so cool! and i really fiel sorry for Lord Winter, he lost a good friend and a young man he loved like a son.

Darlin
10-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I liked the Duke too so I know what you mean. It was a pity but as long as the main characters weren't killed pretty much I was content. Now when - ah, but you haven't finished the book so I can't say any more. :)

the musketeer
10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
Don´t you think it is sad, the way Henriette of England changes in the books, i really liked her before. (you must think that i ask som really stupid questiens)
By the way have you ever made that klup Aramis were talking about, 3 pages ago?

Nubian Queen
10-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Not that I've read it, but I'm watching The Corsican Brother's, starring Douglas Fairbanks jr. Dumas wrote that aswell, so maybe you could check it out!

Themis
10-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Ack! That's almost blashphemy! Lol! Camille's by the son not the master, father, pere! :nod: But thanks for the recommendation. I liked Camille but it is very, very different than the father's style and it's the father that I adore. His work is fast paced, full of action, romance and wonderful characters. His works simply excel.

REALLY? :eek: You're right , I just, err, read it in the book... :blush:

Darlin
10-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Not that I've read it, but I'm watching The Corsican Brother's, starring Douglas Fairbanks jr. Dumas wrote that aswell, so maybe you could check it out!

Thanks I'll have to check it out. I know there’re a lot of movies made from his books and that was something I was hoping to look into down the road.

I love your handle, Nubian Queen! Very regal and welcome to the forum! :wave:

REALLY? :eek: You're right , I just, err, read it in the book... :blush:

Themis, maybe I over reacted just a little? ;) Btw, I like your new avi!

the musketeer
10-13-2005, 08:43 AM
Don´t you think it is sad, the way Henriette of England changes in the books, i really liked her before. (you must think that i ask som really stupid questiens)

I don´t now ask Darlin.

Darlin
10-13-2005, 03:13 PM

My apologies, Musketeer! I totally skipped over your post! :eek: As far as Henriette’s concerned I recalled liking her but you’ll have to refresh my memory because it’s been awhile since I read the series. And there are no such things as stupid questions whatsoever! Even though that’s a cliché of type it’s so true so ask whatever you please! : )

I’m not sure I know what you mean by kulp and three pages ago – help me out! Sorry.

the musketeer
10-14-2005, 01:56 AM
Tanks. :yawnb:
when Henriette maries Philip (the young one) then she is talking so rude about de Cuiche, there stil love her.
in 20 years, then it is her there is in love whith de cuiche.
and she is also very mean to Louise.
And I just wornderd if you ever made that klup that Aramis were talking about, i mean on the first page last mail ,from Aramis, som think about a little corner of the sky, making a klup to make people exided in Dumas.
but eny way if you don´t now eny about it , then i´m sure it is becorse that they never made it.

Darlin
10-14-2005, 04:19 PM
No problem, Musketeer and thank you for refreshing my memory! As far as a club none has been set up because those who enjoy Dumas don't really post very much so this is kind of it. Right now just you and me! :)

the musketeer
10-15-2005, 02:20 AM
Okay...
I´m finnished whith The man i the iron mask!
I hade the ending....
What in the hell habens to Philippe, is he just sitting in that mask all his live!
puer him......
Well before the hour is over, then i have the new Harry Potter!
But it is just like i don´t won´t to read it, i still have all my thoughts in the three musketeers world.
Well.. What are you reading for the time?

Darlin
10-15-2005, 11:20 PM
You know Musketeer I felt the same way you did after finishing the Man in the Iron Mask. I think after some research I found somewhere that he fell to his death in an escape attempt but I'm not sure. I know much of it's made up but some people believe there really was a twin locked up. Oh well, whatcha gonna do, right? :)

Right now I'm reading a biography on Edgar Allan Poe and I'm supposed to be reading the Return of the Native by Hardy with the book club on this forum but I haven't gotten past the first few pages yet. I'm giving my copy of HP6 to my sister this weekend. Also going to read Sleepy Hollow with the book club here on Halloween!

But I would definitely recommend trying some of Dumas' other works once you finish Potter. Do let me know how you like Potter won't you?

Stephi
10-16-2005, 05:09 AM
You know, I read in the newspaper the other day that someone's done a load of research, and he's got a theory that the man in the iron mask was actually D'Artagnan! He's got some evidence and stuff, but it all sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

Darlin
10-16-2005, 05:19 AM
Far-fetched indeed! They actually have some facts about the real D'Artagnan and they know when he died so yep - far-fetched! :)

Stephi
10-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Yeah. According to this expert guy, D'Artagnan's death was faked by Louis XIV's minister so that he could lock D'Artagnan up in the Bastille, and he was really only wounded when he fell on the battlefield. I don't believe a word of it, personally.

the musketeer
10-18-2005, 11:20 AM
I am finnished whith HP6!!!!
4 days well i gess thats pretty good, but I kud have done better.

Darlin
10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
How did you like it? I'm going away for the weekend and I'm planning on reading it during the flight.

the musketeer
10-19-2005, 06:17 AM
I liked it, it whas fantastik!!! just like the rest of the Harry Potter books.
I have read nr. 3, 7 or 8 times, well i am a big Potter fan.
But good luck, hope you get a nice trip.

Darlin
10-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Aw, thanks Musketeer. I'm starting to look forward to my trip now that I've decided to read HP6 along with a few other books while I'm on the plane. I'm off to Vegas but since I don't gamble and I'm not much of a drinker I figured I'd see the sights and read while I watch others gamble - lol! :)

I was really surprised that I enjoyed the first five HP books myself and only read them when my mother and sister insisted I had to. Then after I read the Goblet of Fire I wanted to read all of them over again but I never did. So I can see how you would.

Are you looking forward to the movie? I think it's going to be pretty good from what I've seen.

the musketeer
10-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Well I think that the to first movies whas very good, but I hade nr. 3, it is my favorit book, but the movie is a total failure!
And i´m not sure that nr.4 is gonna be any beter!
I was looking forwourd to nr. 3, in many years and then they make like that!
but maiby it is gonna be good, you never now.

LeslieS
10-24-2005, 11:12 AM
I just found this thread, and I want to join the Dumas Fan Club! I am reading One Thousand and One Ghosts. It's pretty good, well worth reading, but not as great as the musketeer books or Count of Monte Cristo. Has anyone else read this one? I feel like I might be missing out on a lot because I'm not getting the metaphoric references to French government.

Thanks for the lists of Dumas' works (several posts ago) - I now have a new reading list.

Sorry, but I can't join the Harry Potter fan club.

Darlin
10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Well I think that the to first movies whas very good, but I hade nr. 3, it is my favorit book, but the movie is a total failure!
And i´m not sure that nr.4 is gonna be any beter!
I was looking forwourd to nr. 3, in many years and then they make like that!
but maiby it is gonna be good, you never now.

I've just gotten back from my trip and was able to finish HP6 on the way home. Now I see why I was so hesitant to read it. I don't think this book was quite as good as the last one and definitely not as good as the one before. It seemed like only the last few chapters were any good and all the rest weren't quite put together very well. Or maybe I should say some of the relationships were just thrown in without build up so we could enjoy it better.

Anyway I think the first 300 pages or so could have been scrunched into a good 100 with the search for memories and not much of the rest would have been missed. I am however looking forward to the next one to see what this Half Blood Prince is up to!

I just found this thread, and I want to join the Dumas Fan Club! I am reading One Thousand and One Ghosts. It's pretty good, well worth reading, but not as great as the musketeer books or Count of Monte Cristo. Has anyone else read this one? I feel like I might be missing out on a lot because I'm not getting the metaphoric references to French government.

Thanks for the lists of Dumas' works (several posts ago) - I now have a new reading list.

Sorry, but I can't join the Harry Potter fan club.

Wow! Hi and welcome, LeslieS! :wave: You bring good news indeed! :) I'll have to look that up at Amazon! I suppose you could do a search regarding the French government during the period the books written in but other than that I've no idea what else to recommend, at least until I get my hands on the book. I'm so glad you let us know it's out! Now if I can get my hands on that and Amy Tan's new book and dig into a pint of double chocolate ice cream from Graeter's here in Cincy I'll be one happy camper! :D

LeslieS
10-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I got my copy from Amazon. It's a short read, and perfect for this time of year (near halloween). The plot is very simple, which is not like the Dumas works I've read before. The introduction (which I read last) gave me some good insights into the political stuff. There's a lot more to understand, but at least it got me thinking in the right direction. I've started a thread about it, but no one else has posted yet.

So, all you Dumas fans go get a copy and read it and I'll be waiting!

the musketeer
10-28-2005, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Darlin]I've just gotten back from my trip and was able to finish HP6 on the way home. Now I see why I was so hesitant to read it. I don't think this book was quite as good as the last one and definitely not as good as the one before. It seemed like only the last few chapters were any good and all the rest weren't quite put together very well. Or maybe I should say some of the relationships were just thrown in without build up so we could enjoy it better.

Anyway I think the first 300 pages or so could have been scrunched into a good 100 with the search for memories and not much of the rest would have been missed. I am however looking forward to the next one to see what this Half Blood Prince is up to!

I see what you meen, but i likked it.
But now i just haid snape more then ever!
I really miss Sirius in the books,It is just no Harry Potter book whit aut him.

Darlin
10-28-2005, 09:00 PM
I see what you meen, but i likked it.But now i just haid snape more then ever!
I really miss Sirius in the books,It is just no Harry Potter book whit aut him.

You know I just want Snape to be good! I mean I have this overwhelming need for him to be good so I think he's plotting with Dumbledore or was and maybe things got out of hand and they're not anything like how they seem because if they were there'd be no surprise. I even wonder about Dumbledore's fate because after all if Voldermort has means of maintaining his soul why not Dumble?

And I know what you mean, without Sirius poor Harry's really all alone without a realative or anyone to write him. I rather missed that too. Lupin didn't/couldn't make up for the loss at all. Pity.

Well, I'm anxious to see what Ms. Rowlings has up her sleeve for the final book. And the movie looks like it'll be great fun! :)

the musketeer
11-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Beside, but you think it is stange, that Belletrix and Snape don´t like .......... (can´t spell it!) But they are the perfeckt couble!

Aramis
11-15-2005, 09:09 PM
LeslieS- Hi, and welcome to the club! :wave: Tell me... you like Aramis, right? <gives pleading look>

Darlin- I love Lupin!!!!!!!!! :angel:
-Dumbledore couldn't do the Horcrux thing because that's like the darkest magic there is. Who would want to live with a divided soul?
-I was shocked about the Snape thing. I liked him to, and it came so suddenly in the beginning of the book that I felt like I was missing something.

the musketeer- Bella is already married.

Darlin
11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Hey, Aramis, it's good to see you posting again! Now here's what I think, Dumbledore couldn't or wouldn't do it but Snape could and I still think he's good and working with Dumbledore. Maybe in this case it wasn't what Dumble expected or wanted but if Snape hadn't done it then he'd be in big trouble with you know who. It's just my theory and probably because, like you, I like Snape. I also think we got to see the evil side of Snape so soon because it's an attempt to fool the readers. Could be wrong but it's going to be a very long time before any of us find out. :)

edmond14
11-18-2005, 12:56 PM
there is the 5 book series about the musketeers and a six book series louis VI.
I'm not sure of the order by the six books are:
Physicians Memiors
Joseph Balsamo
Queens Necklace
Countess d'Charney
Taking of the Bastile
Knight of Maison Rouge
i belive this is the order. it starts with the weeding of MA to Louis VI and ends with MA's beheading. It was a very good series, worth reading.
I have found that Fredonia Books has one of the most complete lists of Dumas books.

Darlin
11-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks, edmond14. It's very helpful to have the series in order and it's been so long that I've read them that I couldn't remember for the life of me. Sad, I know. I think this thread really could be helpful to any Dumas fans with so many listings of his books as well as the correct order to read them in. And welcome to the forum, hope to see you around a lot! :wave:

the musketeer
11-20-2005, 10:10 AM
That do not mater! they are still a perfect Couble!

Schoolmeister
12-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Hallo! My compatriots, we are but friends who have yet to meet and not ye merry strangers as would have been supposed!

I hope there are some who are still following this thread. I am brand new to this site and I must say I am overjoyed that such a gem exists. I would be much honored to join your Club Dumas aka becoming a Musketeer.

I would love to recommend to you a Spanish author by the name of Arturo Perez Reverte. He has about ten books or so. The movie the Ninth Gate starring Johnny Depp was based on one of his works (Club Dumas). Reverte often cites Alexandre Dumas' works in his novels and after reading all of Reverte's works except hi smost recent, I decided to actually read one of Dumas' novels since I have never read him before and only know about the Three Musketeers from the movies. So, naturally last week I went to a used bookstore that deals in rare books in search of the Count of Montecristo. Unfortunately, I discovered they did have a copy but it was in French and cost $195. I would have gladly payed the paltry fee but alas I could not wait to learn French to enjoy the tale. Ergo, I settled for obtaining an illustrated copy of Twenty Years Later published in 1929. I instantly fell in love with the book and went to Barnes and Noble to get my copy of the Count of Monte Cristo which I have yet to enjoy because I went back to the used bookstore on the corner and got an illustrated copy of the Three Musketeers and am in the process of reading that. I love Dumas and I cannot wait to devour all of his works and collect them fo rmy personal stash, so to speak. Let us endeavor to keep the Club Dumas alive. "All for one, and one for all!" yes?

Darlin
12-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Greetings and welcome fellow Dumas lover! That you're a new convert is all the better! I love your enthusiasm! I've heard that there are people who love Dumas so much they actually have learned French in order to read his books! I know I've thought about it! :D

I'll have to check out this Arturo Perez Reverte. Can you tell me what type of books he writes? Modern, mystery, action? And since I enjoy Johnny Depp I'll have to check the movie out although I usually prefer to read the book before I see the movie.

Welll, time is short, things to do, Christmas is upon us and family is in town so I've got to run but don't be a stranger and welcome again, Schoolmeister. :wave:

Schoolmeister
12-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Thank you Mon Cherie! I am also travling for the Holidays. I would say Reverte writes adventure type books. Definitely read Club Dumas since it most directly deals with Alexandre Dumas, obviously. I wish that I had an aptitude for languages because I would learn about five of them. I would love to learn French to read Dumas. Incidentally, I would eventually like to attend seminary and one of the languages they require (at some at least) is French, this is because there are a lot of early religious texts in French, just think Charlemange. But I digress. I just finished the 3 Musketeers and I must say I enjoyed it immensely except for the ending. De Winter was good but the "showdown" with the Cardinal was disappointing. I have decided to read the Black Tulip next which I just started this morning. So far, it is good and I anticipate a great read as I love the story concept. Anyways, have a merry Christmas and let m know what you think of Reverte. Adieu.

jollyollie
12-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Count Of monte cristo is a gooder. Its oreIda

Darlin
12-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Thank you Mon Cherie! I am also travling for the Holidays. I would say Reverte writes adventure type books. Definitely read Club Dumas since it most directly deals with Alexandre Dumas, obviously. I wish that I had an aptitude for languages because I would learn about five of them. I would love to learn French to read Dumas. Incidentally, I would eventually like to attend seminary and one of the languages they require (at some at least) is French, this is because there are a lot of early religious texts in French, just think Charlemange. But I digress. I just finished the 3 Musketeers and I must say I enjoyed it immensely except for the ending. De Winter was good but the "showdown" with the Cardinal was disappointing. I have decided to read the Black Tulip next which I just started this morning. So far, it is good and I anticipate a great read as I love the story concept. Anyways, have a merry Christmas and let m know what you think of Reverte. Adieu.

I found the Black Tulip started a little slow but turned out to be good. It’s not like the Three Musketeers or the Count of Monte Cristo and not a favorite of mine but anything Dumas will usually do. In fact, I haven’t read anything bad that he’s written, including the murder stories based on true events.
Also, don't forget the Three Musketeers is about six volumes depending upon the editions you get. A member of the forum, Aramis, was kind enough to list them.

1. The Three Musketeers
2. Twenty Years After
3. The Vicomte de Bragelonne
4. Ten Years Later
5. Louise de la Valliere
6. The Man in the Iron Mask

And if you’re tired of the Three Musketeers series and don’t want to read on I’d recommend The Page of the Duke of Savoy and Ascanio, Knight of Masion Rouge, Queen Margot, and Joseph Balsamo. The last two though are part of a series I believe.

As far as Reverte I’ll pop into the library next year :) and get the first book. Hope your Christmas is good!

Darlin
12-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Count Of monte cristo is a gooder. Its oreIda

Hey, jollyollie! Nice to see you posting! OreIda? :) Like, as in the bomb? Boss? The cat's meow? :D

Good taste! ;)

Schoolmeister
12-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I just finished The Black Tulip last night. What a good book. I am going to read the Count of Monte Cristo next. Ta!

~Maude~
01-03-2006, 05:31 PM
I liked Dumas in high school but hadn't read anything by him in years, after reading (and really liking) Club Dumas last year, I picked up Fernande at the library this week and just finished after only two days. It was a quick, lively, sometimes very comical love story and I enjoyed it. It has made me want to read more Dumas this year, I will probably reread the ones I have and then look into some of the others mentioned here, thanks for making those lists.

Eva Marina
01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
For summer reading this year, a friend of mine convinced me to pick up The Count of Monte Cristo (she read The Three Musketeers). It has to be one of my favorite novels now. I absolutely loved the way the characters interacted with each other. It was enough to make me want to see the movie as well. Although it was (at least I think so) a fairly good movie, the ending is quite different from what the book has written, if I remember correctly, so I wouldn't recommend it for those who are devoted to the book.

Schoolmeister
01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
Maude. I am so excited that you have read Reverte's Club Dumas. Do you like his other work? Have you seen the movie the ninth gate based on that book? I have been trying to find his newest book. I guess I'll have to order it.

Eva Marina, I am going to read the Count of Monte Cristo next after I finish the current book I am reading. I can't wait to get into it.

~Maude~
01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Club Dumas is all I've read so far. I have ordered some of his other books and I hope they come soon, I think Flanders Panel is on it's way. Do you have a favorite so far?

I saw the movie the Ninth Gate (I liked it) prior to reading the book and though I don't usually like to read a book after seeing the movie (I like doing it the other way around) a friend told me the book was quite different and better. I was so glad I read it because it was really good. I liked Johnny Depp's Corso and pictured Corso that way through the book. Everything else was quite different.

Schoolmeister
01-06-2006, 10:18 AM
I liked all of Reverte's books. I would have to say my favorite thus far is Queen of the South. I also saw the Ninth Gate first without realizing it was based on a book and while I am a Johnny Depp fan, the book was so much better. I am still trying to get a copy of Reverte's newest book Captain Tristal. I think you will enjoy the flanders panel. Let me know.

silverblaze
01-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Does anyone here know where to get an e-copy of Queen Margot?
I'm a huge Dumas fan though I haven't read as many of his works as most of you here :D

Darlin
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Oh, I wish I could help you, silverblaze! It's such an excellent book. I got mine at the Half Price book store some time after they came out with the movie. Unfortunately I've had no luck finding it online. Could you try your library though? I know sometimes it convenient to read online while at work but unless Admin or someone can put it up the library may be your best bet. Sorry I couldn't help you but welcome to the group. It's always nice to see another Dumas fan.

Stephi
01-13-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.sfw.org/books/marguerite.html
There's one here under its other title (Marguerite de Valois), although the colours are a bit annoying... :)
It's a little different to my copy, but that's only because of the translation so I think it's fine.

Aramis
03-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Exciting news! My library got another Dumas book! :banana: It is called "The Journal of Madame Giovanni" and is supposedly about a real person (under a false name) who asks Dumas to write down her story. I can't wait until I have enough time to read it!

the musketeer
04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Wauw that sounds cool....

joparo
09-04-2006, 11:26 PM
I have greatly enjoyed "the Fortyfive Guardsmen" it is in Dumas' usual writing style. Few charectors in the light of a scene, just enough discription of the environment to allow your imagination to create and entire stage set. Well worth the time. It is very similar to the three m in many ways but the attention is more to the Kings (Henry III, Philip and William)and Duchesses than the indivitual guardsmen. Classic Gascon bravado and “Amour” great fights and then there is a fantastic battle with Philip of France, the Calvinists, Hugonauts, Leagers during which he attempt to....... well you should read it for yourself.

May the Lord bless you and your household.
John
www.johnsebooks.com

Jackel
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has read any books by Dumas besides the Three Musketeers series, the Black Tulip and The Count of Monte Cristo. I found my local library has a whole slew of his books, some of them falling apart but quite readable and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Definitely the Count of Monte Cristo, it's to die for. I haven't read the Black Tulip yet, but it will definitely be next on my list. <3

Ever since reading Monte Cristo I haven't been able to put down Dumas' books, though I haven't found one to rival my obsession over the count yet. He is simply god <3

cme
10-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey! I am delighted to find more Dumas readers. Most folks think I'm off my head getting all excited about some ancient swashbucklers. And that list - I had no idea there were so many available in translation.

If you are interested in that whole crazy period, I just finished "The Memoirs of the Countesse de Boigne". She was a child in the palace with Marie-Antoinette, lived through two revolutions and the empire of Napoleon and died after the expulsion of Charles X. She's a snobby and catty and repeats gossip - love it!

Schoolmeister - I agree that Arturo Perez Reverte is wonderful. I think you would enjoy Carlos Ruiz Zafon's "The Shadow of the Wind".

Wandering_Child
12-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Someone has probably mentioned this before (and I don't have time to read all seven pages of posts), but Dumas wrote a book called Camille. I tried to read it, but found myself losing interest in the first few pages. I believe it was one of his earlier books, and definately not one of his best. But I just had to mention it really quickly.

I have read The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm planning to read the rest of his works as soon as I read some of Charles Dickens. Also, The Knight of Maison-Rouge is one of my absolute favorite books of all time!

yelly201
05-24-2007, 09:59 PM
see message below, i screwed up.
this can be deleted if necessary

yelly201
05-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I'll admit, i had never considered reading the count of monte cristo before, solely because it was too long. But, for an english project, i was browsing a list of authors that i got from a reccomendation list and saw that the book was on it. for this project, i only had to read 600 pages and since the count of monte cristo was 2 times this long, i didn't end up reading it. however, i did choose to read the knight of maison rouge, and castle eppstein. wow, was i surprised at my reaction! the characters are interesting, and the way in which he presents his story is intriguing; i've never seen an author refer to him/herself in the first person in a book before! my favorite book was maison rouge, because there was more dialog and interaction between the characters. also, in castle eppstein, everard is very introverted and fickle concerning what he wants.
Genevive and Albina are my favorite characters. for the project i have to dress up as one of them, and i need an opinion: to whom should i give the honor? I have to give a hypothetical award to the character, and present an acceptance speech in the form and voice of the character? i'm not sure which would be the most interesting. any ideas?

Someone has probably mentioned this before (and I don't have time to read all seven pages of posts), but Dumas wrote a book called Camille. I tried to read it, but found myself losing interest in the first few pages. I believe it was one of his earlier books, and definately not one of his best. But I just had to mention it really quickly.

by the way, wandering child, i was reading page one of the thread and realized that someone had mentioned that Camille was by Dumas fils, not Dumas père. just wanted to let you know.

Janine
04-07-2008, 02:38 AM
"Camille" was written by Alexandre Dumas, the son of Alexandre Dumas, the great author of "The Count of Monte Cristo", "The Three Muskateers", etc.

I just finished reading "Camille". I enjoyed it. It is a very melodramatic work but well worth reading. I was interested in this short novel, basically because I had seen a wonderful ballet based upon this book, called "Lady of the Camillias". The famous opera by Verdi - La Traviota was also based on this work. It was a stage play, as well. Mostly, the younger Dumas made a career for the stage and wrote many plays. I just read his biography on Wikipedia; it was quite interesting.

Georges
08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I have just read an amazing, unknown work by Dumas. It is called Georges! It is a very short piece written one year before the THree musketeers and The Comte de Monte Cristo. Even for those of you who may not be enthralled with Dumas, you will love this book. I could not put it down. It is full of the drama, romance, suspence and action he is known for and is his only work about race.
If you want to be transported, read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georges
08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I have just read an amazing, unknown work by Dumas. It is called Georges! It is a very short piece written one year before the THree musketeers and The Comte de Monte Cristo. Even for those of you who may not be enthralled with Dumas, you will love this book. I could not put it down. It is full of the drama, romance, suspence and action he is known for and is his only work about race.
If you want to be transported, read this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!