PDA

View Full Version : The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn

oralector
08-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I am curious as to what involvement, if any, did Bram Stoker have with The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. His name seems to appear in various texts as a member yet I do not see it mentioned here on the Literature Network site.

mono
08-12-2005, 01:57 AM
How interesting!
When my mind fails me, I often rely on google.com, and I found that Bram Stoker had much affiliation with the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (a gathering of the Freemasons in 19th century England). Other members (a few of which surprised me) included S. L. MacGregor Mathers, William Butler Yeats, Algernon Blackwood, Aleister Crowley, Maud Gonne, Constance Wilde (wife of Oscar Wilde), Arthur Machen, Moina Bergson, Arthur Edward Waite, and Florence Farr. Additionally, finding this, it would not surprise me if Edgar Cayce also had some involvement with the Order.
Thank you for beginning this thread, oralector, and welcome to the forum. :)

oralector
09-16-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't believe that L Ron Hubbard was directly involved but he started his church of scientology the day that Aleister Crowley died. I have not read his book of Dianetics but I am told and have read that Aleister Crowley had a big influence in his beliefs. I went to yahoo and typed in both of their names, I suggest you take a look for yourself, very interesting!

rocker_geek
09-24-2005, 02:17 PM
That is quite interesting because Scientology and Paganism (Aleister Crowley's base religion) are very much different. I know this from being a Pagan High Priestess, plus there are many books on the subjects. I guess I'll have to do some more reading and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the fact!