PDA

View Full Version : Which Musketeer Contributed the Most to the Story?

Aramis
08-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Supposedly, D'Artagnan is the hero of "The Three Musketeers" and the other so-called "D'Artagnan Romances". But is he really? Please say which musketeer do you think was the real hero of the story, and explain your reasoning.

NUCath
08-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Aramis,

I'm a new member, who stumbled upon this page whilst reading about my favorite book, and I'm dying to know why you think Aramis contributed the most to this famous Dumas tale. I would choose either our story's guide, D'Artagnan, or our moral's guide, Athos (his morals are certainly antiquated, but I love a good hero). Do you overlook these two choices in favor of Aramis due to a Catholic loyalty? I happen to be Catholic, and though I love the Jesuits, I find that Aramis’s actions often defy the values of the Church. What do you think?

In love with Athos,

JournalistWhoSings

Aramis
08-22-2005, 05:12 PM
NUCath,

First of all, let me welcome you to the forums! Secondly, allow me to answer your questions. I am not Catholic; I am rather a Christian. Though the two faiths have the same core beliefs, that is not why I chose Aramis as the protagoinist.

In the earlier books, it seems that Dumas makes the four of them equal. For example, all four lost their fancy horses at the same time, and they each come up with pieces of larger plans. As they go their seperate ways, however, their roles become vastly different. From that point, it seems like Aramis is the one that propels the story with his plot to switch the king with his twin brother. In doing this, he influences all the characters around him, with the possible exception of Athos, who has completely removed himself from the main action by this point.

First of all, Porthos's and D'Artagnan's adventures are determined by Aramis's actions, as are their relations with the king. Ultimately, their fates are determined by him as well.

Obviously, I did want other peoples' opinions, which is why I made this poll. Thanks for replying. :)

Aramis

the musketeer
10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
I like Aramis the most (if you can say that.....I´m not English)
He is... he is... He is just cool!!!!

Darlin
10-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Admittedly I'm biased as D'Artagnan is my favorite but each including Captain Treville to an extent are heroes.

D’Artagnan, for how could we have the story without this impetuous youth full of ambition and enthusiasm? His drive and passion?

Regal Athos, for his almost fatherly advice and morals and of course his relationships with the villainess and later the young Vicomte de Bragelonne.

Aramis, for his schemes and affairs, which isn’t exactly a good thing for a priest but without schemes there’d be little of a plot and thus not much of a story.

Porthos – ah, mighty, good hearted, vain Porthos! Where would they be without that strong gentle giant?

Which one is the true hero could be considered moot but when we have the four of them together the stories excel and again, they're all heroes!

Btw, welcome! :wave: It's good to have another Dumas fan onboard!

the musketeer
10-08-2005, 01:27 AM
I... well I don´t now what to say, i gess you are right.
I just think that Aramis is a true hero.
And if you ask a Dukecess she woud say the same as me.

Darlin
10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Suave, smooth Aramis. You couldn't help but like him so I know what you mean. Perhaps out of all of them Aramis would be the one a woman would desire the most. Perhaps. :)

the musketeer
10-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Yes... the ladys love him.
but you are right, if just one of them is missing then it´s not a good team eny more.
I just like Aramis becorse.... I don´t now I just like him.

Milouise
10-16-2005, 03:48 PM
As much as I would like to think someone else is the "hero" of the books, d'Artagnan is the main protagonist. They begin and end with him. Although I have to say that the first three books involve Athos to an extent in the story about Countess de Winter, and Aramis is very much behind the scenes in the following books. But it is mainly d'Artagnan we follow through life.

Milouise
10-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Heh....
Perhaps I should have said that I also stumbled upon this forum when I was out on the Net, surfing for my favourite books. I started reading Musketeers when I was 10, and I must have read them at least once a year for the past 15 years. It is odd what an impact a book can have on a person, no? I even took French in school because of d'Artagnan and his friends! I have never read the books in English, though I plan on doing it as soon as I have finished the 1911 Swedish edition I have in front of me right now.

Be Safe!

Milouise

the musketeer
10-19-2005, 06:20 AM
Heh....
Perhaps I should have said that I also stumbled upon this forum when I was out on the Net, surfing for my favourite books. I started reading Musketeers when I was 10, and I must have read them at least once a year for the past 15 years. It is odd what an impact a book can have on a person, no? I even took French in school because of d'Artagnan and his friends! I have never read the books in English, though I plan on doing it as soon as I have finished the 1911 Swedish edition I have in front of me right now.

Be Safe!

Milouise

Well done!!!!

the musketeer
10-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Heh....

Be Safe!

Milouise

Well done!!!

MadameGascon
10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
In my opinion, I think that four musketeers are all heroes within the tale! Without one of them then I think that the heroes could not have done everything that they did do! But that is just my opinion, of course!.

MadameGascon
10-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Aramis,

I was just checking your Aramis Website, and at the end of the movie section, the Stephen Herek production, you said that Gabriel Byrne played D'Artagnan, when it was Chris O'Donnell! Sorry, just thought I would point that out to you!

Madame Gascon

MadameGascon
10-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Actually I correct myself, it was at the end of the photo section and before the Quotes, sorry!

LeslieS
10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
D'Artagnan is my vote.

But has anyone checked the other threads in this forum? I don't want to mention any names, but someone (me) has just finished a Dumas book and wants to discuss it - only so far I'm hanging out in cyberspace talking to myself.

Yes, this is a pitiful cry for attention.

the musketeer
10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Chris o´donnoll played d´artagnan in the three musketeers from 1993 and
Gabrielle Byrne was playing d´artagnan in the man in the iron mask from 1998.
so he was playing d´artagnan!!!!

Darlin
10-27-2005, 03:41 PM
As much as I would like to think someone else is the "hero" of the books, d'Artagnan is the main protagonist. They begin and end with him. Although I have to say that the first three books involve Athos to an extent in the story about Countess de Winter, and Aramis is very much behind the scenes in the following books. But it is mainly d'Artagnan we follow through life.

D'Artagnan is simply my favorite so I'm biased. I hated it when he died! Btw, welcome to the forum, Milouise! :wave:

In my opinion, I think that four musketeers are all heroes within the tale! Without one of them then I think that the heroes could not have done everything that they did do! But that is just my opinion, of course!.

Well, there'd be no books if we didn't have the fabulous four! And welcome to you too, MadamGascon! :wave:

D'Artagnan is my vote.

But has anyone checked the other threads in this forum? I don't want to mention any names, but someone (me) has just finished a Dumas book and wants to discuss it - only so far I'm hanging out in cyberspace talking to myself.

Yes, this is a pitiful cry for attention.

Had I but known sooner I would've posted immediately in response but unfortunately I've yet to get a copy of it. Will have to order it and won't get it before Halloween.

MadameGascon
10-28-2005, 04:16 AM
Thank you Darlin for your welcome! And 'the musketeer' may i just say, that it looks a tad strange that Aramis has Gabrielle Byrne next to the Keifer Sutherland (Athos) and Oliver Platt (Porthos) who played the musketeers along side Chris O'Donnell in the 1993 production when Gabrielle Byrne was in the 1998 'Man In The Iron Mask' as D'Artagnan, ir doesn't look right to me, that's all!

the musketeer
10-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Year, okay, I thought that to, you just sayd that he was not playing D´Artagnan. but Sorry.
Well I like Gabrielle Byrne as d´artagnan, becorse when you see it whit you freinds you do´t hav to listin to that: he is so hot!
I haidt that.
By the way, Welcome!
allwais nice to hav a fan hwo now somthink about the movies to.

MadameGascon
10-31-2005, 05:40 AM
Thank you for your welcome the_musketeer, yeah well to tell the truth I did only watch it because I thought that Chris O'Donnell was hot but then there was something about the actual film that got me hooked and I then became addicted to it, like I had to read the book and watch the film a million times, don't ask me why because I have no idea! The film just intrigues me, it has something about it that makes me just want to watch it over and over again! And it's not just because of the actors, but the hot actors are an added bonus, sorry if I am rambling on!

the musketeer
11-02-2005, 12:40 PM
I fiel the same way! I so the man in the iron mask in tv, and then i got it my self and i so it a million times! and then i so The three musketeers and i love that one to!
i have seen them both so many times.
and now i now The man in the iron mask (the hole movie)by heart.
And if i have to tell the truth to, i really like Charlie Sheen!
And then i read the book and i love it, and if i haven´t made it clear, i love Aramis!

MadameGascon
11-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Was Charlie Sheen in the Man In The Iron Mask??? Hmm, I have to get that movie now, sounds appealing to me!

Aramis
11-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Wow, I'm gone for a few months, and look at all of the threads that build up... <sigh> Um, I'll target this one, just because I can't hit them all.

First of all, hi to all of the people who recently arrived!

Second, I didn't know my webpage would generate so much discussion, but it's nice to know that people actually look at it. For those who were wondering, I put up a picture of Gabriel Byrne's D'Artagnan because that was my favourite portrayal of that character. Kiefer Sutherland and Oliver Platt, who played Athos and Porthos respectively, were my favourite portrayals of those characters. They just happened to be in the same movie, along with Charlie Sheen, who is not in "The Man in the Iron Mask."

Jeremy Irons played Aramis in the 1998 version of the film, if that's the one the musketeer was talking about. (I think his comment about loving that film and Charlie Sheen were supposed to be seperate comments, not directly related.) Actually, it always amused me that Jeremy Irons played Scar in "The Lion King", and I've occasionally watched that movie just to hear him singing about getting rid of the king. I'll think about Aramis, and then crack up.

Long post. I'm done for now. :D

NNoah3
11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Welcome back Aramis! :wave:

Aramis
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Thanks muchly (yes, 'muchly' is my own made up word, like 'meh'). I have actually missed you guys.

the musketeer
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I did not mean Jeremy Irons, I did juts say Charlie sheen do i really have to Write whith movie he was in! but sorre i mean: And if i have to tell the truth to, i really like Charlie Sheen! (The three musketeers 1993 (Aramis)).
And Welcome Back Aramis i have really been loking forword to mead you! (Sorry if i spell to rong"
I´m a big fan of Aramis he is just something speciel!

MadameGascon
11-14-2005, 07:28 AM
Welcome Back Aramis

Well to tell you the truth, I have not even bothered to watch any other Musketeer movies because I have eyes only for the 1993 version, lol!!! Mwuahaha, okay, okay, I will watch other Musketeer movies, *thinks to self, bloody voice in my head telling me what to do, AGAIN*

So Charlie Sheen NOT in Man In The Iron Mask then? Still I think I might watch it as some point!!! :D Hopefully, it's a good story, is it?

Madame Gascon
*My loyalty lies with Chris O'Donnell (My D'Artagnan, hehe), seeing as you like Charlie Sheen, someone has to like him :D* hehehe

*I mean no offence with any of my comments, sorry in advance*

Aramis
11-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, hello to you two, too. Yeah for Charlie Sheen! (... and for voices in the head :nod: ...)

the musketeer- Well met. Don't worry about the spelling; it's the thought that counts. (That is, the thought counts when you're being flattering like that. ;))

MadameGascon- Oh, no worries. I try not to get offended too easily. Yes! Watch more of the movies! Still a good story, of course. You couldn't expect less from Dumas.

MadameGascon
11-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Voices in head scary :s lol

Glad to hear you don't get offended..that means I can insult you and you won't get annoyed? lol only joking, I don't intentionally insult people!!

Anyways, Charlie Sheen, yeah, cool, handsome, suave, mysterious man!! Everything I love in a man..lol..but D'Artagnan..still wins hands down..lol!!!

Can you recommend any other Musketeer films, by year that is and author or director? Makes it easier to track!!??!!

Aramis
11-15-2005, 08:22 AM
The 1973 version directed by Richard Lester is quite good. It's old, but it's very faithful to the books and is very amusing.

Yep. Insult me all you want. ;) At least now I know that you're only joking if you do.

MadameGascon
11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Dammit, I mean, I always mean what I say when I am insulting people :P

the musketeer
11-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Aramis
I really don´t now what to say....... have Harry potter been in the chinema over there as I have mentioned before I´m danish so i don´t now what i goeing on over threre.
Not to change supjekte but i so that you had read the books.

Aramis
11-15-2005, 09:04 PM
MadameGascon- Oh, like I'm supposed to believe you now? Are you insulting my intelligence? :D

the musketeer- Well, the first three movies are out, and the fourth will be coming into the theaters soon. I haven't seen them, but I love the books! Hmm. Maybe I should join the HP discussion in the other thread...

the musketeer
11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I love the books to...I have read hp 3, 8 times.

Aramis
11-17-2005, 07:00 PM
I rarely count how many times I read a book, but 3 was definately my favourite, too.

MadameGascon
11-18-2005, 05:01 AM
No I am not insulting your intelligence Aramis, what do you take me for? lol

I have also read all the HP books, I have got to say that the latest, Blood Prince was my least favourite!

I have watched all the HP films so far, but I am going to see HP 4 at some point, don't know when though! The trailers have made it look good, but I withold my judgement at the moment as the other HP films, I though, were to put it quite bluntly, crap! Although they did do HP 3 some justice with their computer effects :D

m o n s i e u r
03-14-2006, 05:37 PM
I think definitely d'Artagnan, as it's his story and we see most things from his eyes, and it's very few scenes that he doesn't participate - well, he at least participates more than the other musketeers and his presence is felt throughout.

Aside from d'Artagnan, I think Athos is the next hero, as he is d'Artagnan's closest friend and father figure. The other two, though they have a great deal of fun and personality about them, don't play huge parts in The Three Musketeers.

the musketeer
04-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Hey! Aramis is the Hero of this story..... well I think he is...

designchic06
04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
If we were talking about the movie The Man in The Iron Mask (the one with Leonardo DiCaprio) I'd have to say that Aramis is the one who seems the most grounded. You could argue that D'Artagnan was just as much so, but he was blinded by his loyalty to the royal family instead of what was moral. But as I'm reading The Three Musketeers (I just finished the first book in the series), I'm drawn toward Athos. I think he really is the leader of the group, and prevents D'Artagnan from making any rash decisions.

I would say that Athos is the true, "original" hero. D'Artagnan may be the main character, but there is no rule that states the main character = hero. Sometimes the protagonist turns out to be a villain, or even someone who is saved by someone else. Again, in the movie, it's a different story. Athos is distracted (understandably) by his son, Raoul, and therefore can't contribute to the team as well as Aramis. Hollywood's always deterring from the original version ; )

I have a question for you, though...Who do you think is the sexiest Musketeer? :ladysman:

Aramis
04-24-2006, 08:26 AM
No, even in the books, once you get to The Man in the Iron Mask Athos is only thinking about Raoul.

And, they look different in different versions of the movie. Generally, Aramis looks the best, though.

designchic06
04-24-2006, 09:44 AM
I LOVE Jeremy Irons as Aramis. I'm going to have to see the other versions to make an accurate comparison, though! Heh...

the musketeer
05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Aramis rulles!!!!! and Jeremy Irons is pretty cool.....

Fray
07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I think they are all equal but I voted Athos just because he's my favorite character.

hws87
11-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Am I the only person whos see Athos as the guiding force after all his nobility serves as a model for all

AthosESK
12-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Am I the only person whos see Athos as the guiding force after all his nobility serves as a model for all

Oh no, I'm right there with you (of course, my handle is giving me away). Athos is the man all women want (but can't have unless they are apparently dressed as a man - see "Twenty Years After") and all the men want to be (with?). Seriously though, our side needs two more votes and we're going to tie this d'Artagnan fellow and bring him down to the apprentice level where he belongs ;).

Cheers!

P.S. Aramis rules too, but we all have to have our loyalties.

Madame la Fere
07-03-2008, 02:07 AM
I am new to the Literature Network, and just stumbled on this one.
I must admit that I more or less lean towards Athos as the hero, at least in The Three Musketeers. I am in the middle of Twenty Years after, and am still holding the same views after having read chapter 30 where Athos is the one who keeps them together. I agree that without the other 3 and their unique personalities that the story would not be the same.

kiki1982
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM

I agree! In the beginning the three original musketeers Athos, Porthos and Aramis are called 'les inséparables' - 'the inseparables'. I believe that Dumas intended to make three different characters, each with one good quality (virtue?): Athos being noble, intelligent and wise; Aramis being cunning and able to make plots; Porthos being of great strength and blind devotion. They are all brought together in our hero d'Artagnan, who Athos, Porthos and Aramis certainly admire. He has everything that they have and tops them even.
Actually I find Aramis the worst of all. He is really two-faced and deceitful, which is further developed in Vingt Ans Après - Twenty Years Later, when he becomes a Jesuite of all monks, and has affairs during the night.
In dutch the expression 'you are a Jesuite' is even synonym for being two-faced, deceitful, etc. Because in the days the book played, the 17th century, people used to eat no meat every Friday and fast before Easter. Jesuits were very particular abut that... for others, as they used to eat meat all year round, even on Fridays and lived decandently inside their convents...
Of course the negativity of his deeds is always put in a good light by Dumas, cleverly so. In The Three Musketeers he has an affair with Mme de Chevreuse, who helps the queen, so his plotting is actually fruitful, and in Twenty Years Later, also like that, which I will now not get into, but still, I find him the most negative character of them all.

fulyaoktem
03-18-2009, 09:54 AM
For the records: I must admit that this was the tough question I've ever heard ;)

Anyway, when I read the question I remembered the motto of the muskeeteers... One for all and all for one.
Abstraction is impossible. I can not think one muskeeter apart from others. All of them are virtious, noble, bold and faithful. Heroism arises in Dumas's four muskeeters. Musketeer by musketeer:) each one of them are awesome but when they act together you think they will always succeed. This tells everyone the worth of friendship and loyality. Friendship is the real fortune they have.

"Which muskeeeter contributed the most to the story?"
-Depends on personalities answering...
Let me change the question as "which musketeer would be your soul mate?"
-Comte de la Fere aka Athos off course.
I realised that I've been in love with Comte de la Fere from the beginning. ;)
Answer to all expectations even going the extra mile.
You will all remember; D'artagnan tells Anne D'Autriche that Comte de la Fere is demigod in Twenty Years After!

Note:
The beginnig: I've first read The Three Muskeeters (shorten edition for kids) at the age of seven.

fulyaoktem
03-18-2009, 10:28 AM
As I'm reading The Three Musketeers (I just finished the first book in the series), I'm drawn toward Athos. I think he really is the leader of the group, and prevents D'Artagnan from making any rash decisions.

I would say that Athos is the true, "original" hero. D'Artagnan may be the main character, but there is no rule that states the main character = hero. Sometimes the protagonist turns out to be a villain, or even someone who is saved by someone else.

I have a question for you, though...Who do you think is the sexiest Musketeer? :ladysman:

Comte de la Fere off course...
:ladysman:

In Three Musketeers and in Twenty Years After we continiously read that Aramis is the one who is much liked by women therefore we never inform about any details.

But everybody knows the details of the feverish love night of Comte de la Fere and -the most beautiful woman of D'artagnan Romances- Madam de Chevreuse. ;)
They gave life to Vicomte de Bragelonne at that admirable passionate night...

JohnK
11-30-2010, 07:27 PM
Hello everybody.

Vote: Athos.

Char description:
----------------------------------------------
Athos: is a genius.
D'Artagnan: is Athos' canvas.
Porthos: is a kind hearted brute.
Aramis: is hard to "figure out" for me.

Motivations/Reasons for joining the service:
----------------------------------------------
Athos: not a clue.
D'Artagnan: fame and fortune.
Prothos: fame and fortune.
Aramis: not a clue.

kiki1982
12-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Athos did have a reason for joining the musketeers: forgetting his past and hopefully be killed, I think, on campaign. SLIGHT SPOILER Unfortunately that never materialised. SLIGHT SPOILER OVER

Aramis also had his reason to join: I think it had something to do with someone who once insulted him and he wanted to get satisfaction, but as he had grown up in a convent, he was not able to fight, neither with a sword, nor with pistols, so he decided to join the musketeers in order to get practice and then to kill the man :D. I don't remember whether that ever materialsed...

Other than that, it was a done thing as a gentilhomme (man of low nobility) to join the musketeers as it awarded you honour and showed you weren't a sissy. I don't think you had to go there for fortune, but I suppose a select few went up the ladder and thus got some fortune (like d'Artagnan). They did get a wage but nothing to write home about, and they had to buy their own equipment, so they were rather relying on their allowances from home or the ones from mistresses (:D) than on their own ability. And think about it, in order to gamble and do all what our friends did... Some money must have flown!