PDA

View Full Version : New to Philosopy

Lord
08-05-2005, 03:15 AM
Hi All,

I have never read much philosophy but am extremely interested. Is there any works you could recommend that may be good for an introduction to it?

Cheers

blp
08-05-2005, 05:00 AM
There used to be a series of illustrated books called 'For beginners', a lot of which were about philosophers and schools of philosophy. I think at some point the name got bought, so there are now two of these, with the originals now just called 'introducing'. Despite the illustrations, they're not just kids books. Some of the information they cover would be too difficult for kids. But they can give a good, straightforward intro to some tricky ideas.
Wikipedia - http://www.wikipedia.org - is also a good reference point for any unfamiliar ideas and terms that come up in the course of your reading.
You could start with Plato, the crucible of western philosophy. The Republic covers a lot of his/Socrates' most important ideas and a lot of those still play some part in the thinking of philosophers thousands of years later.

lavendar1
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
There's a series called "A Very Short Introduction to..." published by Oxford University Press that's great. You could take a look at the version in that series by Thomas Nagel (it's rather old, but covers all the basic philosophical questions, like how do we know anything? and includes chapters on free will, death, justice, meaning of life, etc.). There's a newer version in that same series (2002?) by Ed Craig. That one refers more to specific philosophers than the one I first mentioned, but still delivers what it promises -a very short introduction. I love the way the author says "Good philosophy expands your imagination."

Those books can whet your appetite, and if you find you want more info, that same series has other short intros to nearly all the philosophers, even up through Foucault.

Philosophy can be intimidating to a beginner, but if you start with books like the ones I've mentioned, you'll be just fine.

Good luck!

P_G_Fischmann
08-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I have never read much philosophy but am extremely interested. Is there any works you could recommend that may be good for an introduction to it?

I'm currently reading a book called "A History of Western Philsophy" written by the famous english author Betrand Russell. This book gives an extremly good overview of the western philsophy beginning with Platon and ending with Karl Marx. Many philsophical books are written in a style which isn't very enjoyable to read, not so this book. Although I'm living in Switzerland and my english isn't very well I haven't got any problem with reading and understanding this book. But you won't find any pictures in it ;).

mono
08-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi All,

Cheers
Hello, Lord, welcome to the forum. :)
Philosophy never quite ceases to amaze me with its complexity and different branches. Just as science stems into various specific areas (biology, chemistry, physics, ecology, astronomy, etc.), philosophy has its own branches, such as existentialism (of existence), metaphysics (the nature of reality, relationship between mind and body), moral/ethical (including justice), religious/spiritual, political, and aesthetics (of beauty, the sublime, and connection with truth).
I know it may sound fairly complex, but, once you begin reading any philosopher, he/she often ties numerous branches together, forming relatively grand theories. In essence, however, it really depends on your area of interest. ;)

Jantex
08-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi All,

Cheers

Hi,Lord.

There is one good solution in your case.You just have to start with a book for beginners.It`s "Sophie`s World" by Jostein Gaarder. I strongly recommend you that book and think you`ll appreciate it.
I,personally,did not like it much because I knew a lot about philosophy before reading it.

simon
08-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Like Jantex I recomend Sophie's World as an introduction to philosophy as it mixed a story with information. If you enjoy the idea of philosophy mixed with fiction I would also suggest that you read the rest of Jostein Gaarder's books such as, Maya, The Solitaire Mystery and a couple others that I can't seem to remember the names of.

SinFrost
10-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings
by David J. Chalmers

very insightfull but at the same time easy to follow

okmit
10-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Peter Kreeft,"Philosophy 101 by Socrates."He wrote a series of Socrates Meets...Machiavelli...Marx...Sartre...Jesus.Quick, easy reading.

Chrysalisyah
10-24-2006, 01:18 PM

I'm currently reading a book called "A History of Western Philsophy" written by the famous english author Betrand Russell. This book gives an extremly good overview of the western philsophy beginning with Platon and ending with Karl Marx. Many philsophical books are written in a style which isn't very enjoyable to read, not so this book. Although I'm living in Switzerland and my english isn't very well I haven't got any problem with reading and understanding this book. But you won't find any pictures in it ;).

As for me, I am quite new in this philosophy field... I have read that book. V well written, and if you would like to focus on something that is more of science, why not read What Is The Origin of Man: The Answers of Science and the Holy Scriptures... But I suggest you to read Betrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy first. :thumbs_up

cuppajoe_9
10-24-2006, 02:41 PM
There's a good introduction to existentialism here (http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/).

jon1jt
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Philosophy for Dummies

PierreGringoire
10-24-2006, 09:49 PM
The Republic

byquist
10-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Ya, for the very latest as of last Sunday, there's a Deborah Solomon short interview with Harry Frankfurt, Princeton Philosophy Professor who once wrote an 80-pager, entitled "On BS." His latest is a follow up, "On Truth." Probably if you google Solomon and him and The New York Times, you'll get a copy off the internet. If you're looking for a glum and sour philosophic view, don't give it any thought. But, for some sprightly dash, he's one to look at.

Union Jack
10-28-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.iep.utm.edu/a/

Start Reading :)

butterfly88
04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
i recommend u "the picture of dorian " by oscar wilde
it's available and free to doanlowd
we've just begin discussing it in class
relly amzing novel

accountansiyot
04-11-2008, 05:16 AM
ah, i think the simpler thing is just read the texts of socrates, plato and other philosophers and eventually you'll understand. :) and then just log in in the forum for advices and explanations. i'm sure some are willing to help you.

numerouno711
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
philosophy comes from with in ...all the people who have written the laws have asked questions to themselves and got answers

blazeofglory
05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi All,

Cheers

Read Osho you will arrive at the fountainhead of inspirations.

DapperDrake
05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi All,

Cheers

Another vote for Russell here, although a different book:

The Problems of Philosophy (http://www.ditext.com/russell/russell.html)

Edit: Hang on an minute this thread's donkeys old, why resurrect it?

JBI
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Philosophic classics : from Plato to Derrida
By: Baird, Forrest E.

Best intro book if you are serious. It provides a nice selection of chronological texts from philosophers in the Western tradition, ending with Derrida, who was big not to long ago. It is difficult, but doable if you are serious about philosophy.

blazeofglory
05-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Philosophy is not another planet. It is something you do daily, but through philosophy you look at things not naturally but from a borrowed eye.

jgweed
05-13-2008, 06:02 PM
One need not be a Hegelian to recommend studying philosophy from a historical perspective, although its history does seem to suggest something like the triadic operating. Russel's book, for example, is not only entertaining but does show the interplay of philosophers reacting to their predecessors. We have, for example, Aristotle's first book in the Metaphysics, and Kant's awakening from his "dogmatic" slumber.
Then too, philosophy exists within the world, which is also historical in nature, and interacts with contemporary political and religious perspectives. As history is better known, studying the philosophers more or less in historical order provides some insight into their works.

Thereafter, having a general idea of what philosophy is and does, having at least some respect for its terminology and architectonic structure, one can begin to read philosophers' writings, whole and entire.
Regards,
jgw