PDA

View Full Version : Film Rights?

cdavis
08-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Alright, I have a question to ask both the members of this forum, and the good people who run this website:

Because the books featured on this website are all in the public domain, does that mean that I can adapt one of this site's novels, make it into a screenplay, and then LEGALLY sell it without getting my butt sued off later? In other words, because of it's involvement in the public domain, am I allowed to make money off of an adaptation of a book from The Literature Network without having to worry about purchasing the film rights of the book?

Please, any help would be appreciated (any entertainment lawyers here?)...

Thanks,
Davis

Logos
08-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Hello Davis, welcome to the Literature Network.

I'm going to move this topic of yours to the "The Literature Network" forums area, as then the Owner and Administrator of this site can address this question of yours quicker :)

Admin
08-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes. Anyone can make a movie out of one of Aesop's fables or Shakespeare's plays. Any classic fairy tale is fair game.

However... that doesn't mean all adaptations are fair game. For instance Disney regularly uses classic material for their movies, but sometimes they add/change/remove things. You only have the right to base your screenplay on the original, if you base it on Disney's adaptation you better bet Mickey will come knocking on your door.

In other words, its best to clear your mind of knowledge of all other recent adaptations before creating your own.

There is one exception to this. British Parliament gave a special permanent copyright to some children's hospital for Peter Pan. It doesn't cover the text, but I know it covers stage performances and I'm pretty sure it covers movies/etc too. Thats the only situation like that I've ever heard of though.

mono
08-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Alright, I have a question to ask both the members of this forum, and the good people who run this website:

Because the books featured on this website are all in the public domain, does that mean that I can adapt one of this site's novels, make it into a screenplay, and then LEGALLY sell it without getting my butt sued off later? In other words, because of it's involvement in the public domain, am I allowed to make money off of an adaptation of a book from The Literature Network without having to worry about purchasing the film rights of the book?

Please, any help would be appreciated (any entertainment lawyers here?)...

Thanks,
Davis
Hello, cdavis. Adapting anything from a classic piece of literature sounds intriguing yet challenging. I have done the same, adapting works into a play, with a few pieces of literature, but found understanding the work of art essential. In the United States, at least, yes, adaption seems entirely legal, but only from the primary source (not from Disney, or something, as Admin mentioned). Good luck!

Aramis
08-08-2005, 01:34 PM
So, besides Peter Pan, does this cover all novels on this website?

Admin
08-08-2005, 03:32 PM
yes........