PDA

View Full Version : Opera?

Scott
07-14-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows if Wuthering Heights was ever made into an opera. I think, given the right
libretto, a composer like Puccini could have written an opera
which would have been as equal a masterpiece as is the
novel. I can imagine a final love duet in which Heathcliffe
and Catherine sing as the boy reports of seeing them "under
nt' nab"!

Miss Darcy
07-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't recall any opera by Puccini or any of the greats, though I quite agree with you - it would make a very good one! There may be a modern opera version, though...have you heard of the new "Jane Eyre" from England? Apparently it involves a series of flashbacks...and a few nice duets involving Jane and Rochester...but personally I don't have much faith in modern classical music.

There is no opera version I know of, but I have briefly glimpsed the modern ballet adaptation from Paris (on TV)...from what I saw, the whole ballet involved Catherine rolling on the couch at the Linton's in a kind of musical blasphemy. I don't know, but I seriously doubt that anything much happened in that! ;)

Well, do you have any musical knowledge yourself? Because, you know, you could always write an opera, using your own libretto...When you think about it, it's a good idea. If you can imagine it already then that's a start! *Darcy is already quite excited about this plan* You seem to have good taste in music, mentioning Puccini and all, so I'd at least give it a try. One of our family friends' sons wrote an opera, and had it performed, so I'm sure it would be possible. Why not? :)

Oh, and by the way...welcome to the Forum! I trust you'll have a great time here! :nod:

Darcy

mono
07-15-2005, 12:49 AM
How interesting!
I had never known, but I did some research, out of mere curiosity, and found that Bernard Hermann made Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights into a 4-act opera between the years 1943 and 1951.
Wow, that seems something worth seeing!

shortysweetp
07-15-2005, 10:50 AM
i would really like to see it. this is my second time to read Wuthering Heights and I love it

Scott
07-16-2005, 01:48 PM
The operatic version of Wuthering Heights must
not have set the world on fire. I recently looked over a
book on the most well-known operas, and one on this
subject was not listed. I don't know if anyone but Puccini
would have the superb dramatic instincts and lyricism for
such a work.
I think the music would be difficult. A Sibelius-like
theme would have to be prevelant, with the brooding,
dark, at times savage music representing Heathcliffe, hovering over everything like storm clouds. Then there
would have to be the intense passion evidenced in the
sweetest of Puccini's arias. I just can't imagine that such
a thing can be done.

emily_bronte
10-23-2005, 06:02 PM
The operatic version of Wuthering Heights must
not have set the world on fire. I recently looked over a
book on the most well-known operas, and one on this
subject was not listed. I don't know if anyone but Puccini
would have the superb dramatic instincts and lyricism for
such a work.
I think the music would be difficult. A Sibelius-like
theme would have to be prevelant, with the brooding,
dark, at times savage music representing Heathcliffe, hovering over everything like storm clouds. Then there
would have to be the intense passion evidenced in the
sweetest of Puccini's arias. I just can't imagine that such
a thing can be done.

I actually own the opera. It's been out-of-print for years, but I found it pretty enjoyable. Like the 1939 film, it only tells half of the story, but it is good for what it is. As far as I know, it is not performed that often.

I got my copy (very pricey) from an amazon 3rd party seller. I first heard the work in 1992 on my classical music radio station. I adored it!

Rachel

Hermione Grange
01-20-2006, 10:20 AM
There is also a musical version of Wuthering Heights called 'Heathcliffe'. It stars Cliff Richard, and is absolutely terrible. It takes some liberties with the story, and though it is some years since I saw it, I vividly remember some bizarre songs and dances from Africa and India, as it suggests that this is where he was during his long absence. Perhaps worth watching for the comedy value...