PDA

View Full Version : Finnegans Wake

Clean
07-09-2005, 10:09 AM
I was wondering if I there are people who are at this moment reading Finnegans Wake aloud; and if so where are they, and do they take turns, and what is their seating arrangement, etc.?
I'd like to hear the words.

Joyceist
11-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi i am looking for finnegans wake to read it unfortunately i live in algeria and i can't purshse books online so wonder if it is possible to send cash swift to have the book sent ot me

pcockey
11-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Our writing group has been kicking the idea around. We do a lot of out-loud readings of poetry (for Halloween we did Ginsberg's "Howl" and renamed a classroom Six Gallery, invited people to bring drums, etc.--it was a blast), and Finnegan's Wake is a heck of a lot closer to poetry than it is to prose. That and the words almost work better as sounds than as visuals...

abcedminded
08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
yes we have been reading the Wake aloud to each other.
We have tried several strategies for dividing up the text. One way is to just let people jump in when they feel they have something to contribute. Although this sounds like chaos, it actually works remarkably well. The text will give you clues about when to start or stop. Another way is to have one person read the main text, and others read the brackets. Of course, some of it is in play form so the work is done for you. I think this is a play for many voices. It is not critical to the work that identities be maintained. In my opinion, this is the way the work was designed to be presented. The "actors" are also the audience!