PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Silly

Bix12
07-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Hello, I'm Bix...and a brandy new member just now. I like discussing any number of topics, and hopefully, I'll make some new friends here so I can do just that!

I'm still feeling my way around...I like to use as many of the tools provided to enhance my posts, so it may take me a little while to figure out just what is what around here. I've already discovered that the size of any avatars I might wish to use must be kept very small, pixel-wise.

At any rate, I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm looking forward to meeting you. Now, let's post this, and see if I've selected my font, size, colour, etc., etc., correctly.

:wave:

Bix12
07-08-2005, 01:13 PM
As a way to continue introducing myself, I thought I'd respond to my first post, rather than start a new thread.

A Dream Girl

YOU will come one day in a waver of love,
Tender as dew, impetuous as rain,
The tan of the sun will be on your skin,
The purr of the breeze in your murmuring speech,
You will pose with a hill-flower grace.

You will come, with your slim, expressive arms,
A poise of the head no sculptor has caught
And nuances spoken with shoulder and neck,
Your face in a pass-and-repass of moods
As many as skies in delicate change
Of cloud and blue and flimmering sun.

Yet,
You may not come, O girl of a dream,
We may but pass as the world goes by
And take from a look of eyes into eyes,
A film of hope and a memoried day.

Carl Sandburg

This is one of my favorite poems, by one of my favorite poets. For you guys out there that haven't yet met that someone that you know in your heart you are destined to meet, I hope this poem gives an adequite description of the one you are destined for.

I have already found my beloved, and been swept up in her breathtaking, yet simple, magic, so this poem speaks to me in a deeper, more real, sense. Those others out there that have also already been blessed will probably agree that no matter how long you had to wait to meet her, it was well worth it. In my case, I was 46! :nod:

To me, this poem captures perfectly that elusive inner "something" my lady possesses that draws me to her...like a moth to a flame.

Koa
07-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Welcome and enjoy here! I liked your way to introduce yourself by actually saying something more than "Hi I'm new" (not meaning that you're the only one who did it, but I certainly appreciate some personality).
I wasn't convinced by the positivity of your poem (being the ultimate pessimist...) but the story you added sort of relieved me as in you're not living in a dream-like world of flowers... I know I'll have to wait long, if not forever, before I find someone... That's no fun... but better than illusions.

Err :blush: anyway... welcome and post loads!

mono
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Ah, I love Carl Sandburg, but how depressing that I had never read much of his material until recent months. I certainly see how he earned so many awards! :nod:
Welcome to the forum, Bix, and I send compliments on your avatar.

Bianca Fransen
07-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Welcome Bix12. Wonderful poem, thank you for that. And I am glad to hear that you can post it from experience.
Though I must admit that I do not believe in 'one true person'.. I had exactly this feeling when I met my ex.. and am still happy that I could experience that. I hope that I will once meet another true love.. but he definitely was one. Maybe the one, who knows. Than I was lucky and unlucky at the same time. Lucky to have met him, unlucky that it ended when I was only 28. We had the 'eyes to eyes'-part and a memoried 10 years.
Anyway, I am drifting away - welcome and I hope you will enjoy the forum just as much as I do!

Bix12
07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi! Thanks for the welcome...very nice. I enjoyed reading each one of the responses.

Koa, believe me, I do not live in a dream world of flowers and slow motion embraces and shiny, happy people...I'm afraid I've logged far too many bumpy miles on far too many pot-hole scarred roads not to know all about the grainy side of life. That being said, I'm still more romantic than cynic, and somehow still lean towards optimism...although being a pessimist would probably be easier, and save me some grief. ;)

Bianca, you're only 28, dear...you've a full life yet ahead of you! They say the third time is the charm, & well...apparently for me, it was! :D I will tell you that I still love my 2 ex'es, and they both still love me. I still speak with them each at least once a week, and although some aspects of our relationship are very different, we remain dear friends. We've all moved on with our lives, and we are all very happy these days, so don't get too discouraged, you never know what life might yet have in store for you. :nod:

Mono! Thanks for the kudo's regarding Gort, my avatar. "The Day The Earth Stood Still" Starring Michael Rennie, the year...19....ummmm...55? "Klahtu Barada Nikto!" :lol: I'm happy to hear you like Sandburg...his body of work is phenomenal. He was definitely a friend of the working man, and did much to further the common good. I'm afraid we won't find too many of his ilk around these days....but, better days ahead. Gotta be....right? :nod:

Again, thanks for the grand welcome! Vera cool.... :cool: I'll leave you all with another poem by Carl:

Evening Waterfall

WHAT was the name you called me?—
And why did you go so soon?

The crows lift their caw on the wind,
And the wind changed and was lonely.

The warblers cry their sleepy-songs
Across the valley gloaming,
Across the cattle-horns of early stars.

Feathers and people in the crotch of a treetop
Throw an evening waterfall of sleepy-songs.

What was the name you called me?—
And why did you go so soon?

shortysweetp
07-08-2005, 09:09 PM
welcome to the forum, hope you love it as much as I do.

amuse
07-08-2005, 09:42 PM
:) so very nice to read your posts and welcome to the forum. i do hope the third times the charm! :nod: also hope you post here a lot. like your contributions. loved this line:

The crows lift their caw on the wind,
And the wind changed and was lonely.

Bianca Fransen
07-10-2005, 07:07 AM
Bianca, you're only 28, dear...you've a full life yet ahead of you! They say the third time is the charm, & well...apparently for me, it was! :D I will tell you that I still love my 2 ex'es, and they both still love me. I still speak with them each at least once a week, and although some aspects of our relationship are very different, we remain dear friends. We've all moved on with our lives, and we are all very happy these days, so don't get too discouraged, you never know what life might yet have in store for you. :nod:

Haha.. thank you :D . I will remember to tell nummer two, when I meet him, that he is just a nice way to pass the time ;) . I am glad to hear that you have managed to keep a good relationship with your ex'es. At the moment that is still my main goal.. But that is changing. We are now at a point where I can lean back and enjoy the fact that our friendship has survived.. :thumbs_up

Koa
07-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Well better to have had something than nothing... I feel more and more like an alien for having had only one non-serious relationship at my ridicolous age. I don't want to find the right person, I just want to have a choice... but I don't.

Sorry, rant mood, but seeing people talking of relationship all the time (i dont mean you, I mean everybody, cos that's what people do: have relationships) is a real tease to my loneliness, even if lately I relaxed again about it and can enjoy life and independance at least.

Bianca Fransen
07-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Sorry Koa,
You are absolutely right that I must consider myself lucky.. Who was that poet who said it was better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all? Always loved that line.
But your time will definitely come.. and since you have learned to bear loneliness, you will probably appreciate it all the more.. and not throw it all away.. as I stupidly have done.
And then: I am 28 and still have to get to know myself :goof: . I was so much busy trying to be somebody's girlfriend that I forgot to be me. So if I talk about relationships a lot, it is probably because I am an airhead on all other subjects ;). Not like you - I always like your responses on this forum.
Anyway.. see you around. And I will try to cool it a bit on the relationship theme.. :rolleyes: .

Koa
07-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Well that's it, I think I'm too busy being me and finding my ways to be able to bear a relationship anyway, I'd just want to have a choice and not a forced situation... a choice and time...
Anyway, Bianca, having a relationship was sure part of your experience of life and that means that you'll have something to say on many subjects, just from your point of perception...

pvpham
07-11-2005, 06:39 PM
User deleted.

mono
07-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Who was that poet who said it was better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all? Always loved that line.
Lord Alfred Tennyson, I think.

A brief introduction would be polite...

Hi everybody,
Hello, hello, pvp. Very nice for you to join us, and with, seemingly, quite an eclectic selection of interests.
I look forward to seeing you on the forum. :D

shortysweetp
07-12-2005, 01:39 AM
welcom pvp hope you enjoy here

Koa
07-12-2005, 08:00 AM
welcome pvp, and enjoy it here... i'm sure you have quite a lot to say so i hope i'll see you posting around :)

pvpham
07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
User deleted.

Bix12
07-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Just so, mono~

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

~Alfred Lord Tennyson~

http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/2144/tennyson5kp.jpg

shortysweetp
07-13-2005, 12:09 AM
there is a thread in the general chat forum where most have said the meaning of their screenname
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2658

mono
07-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Why do you call yourself Mono,etc? Private email you feel uncomfortable discussing in public.
Please don't misunderstand me, for my intention is noble.

--pvp
No worries.
shortysweetp provided a link to an excellent thread for that purpose, but it reads really long, unfortunately.
My screen name came from a few sources; I consider myself a big fan of unitarian thought and transcendentalism, brought about by thinkers like Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, William Ellery Channing, and, in essence, some earlier thinkers, like Immanuel Kant and Michel de Montaigne.
In a very vague manner, I admit, 'mono' (not the 'kissing disease,' mononucleosis) refers much to the unity and oneness of all, as cliché as it sounds. :p

Koa
07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
In short, Koa is how my friends at school used to call me and yes it's taken from my name but I'm not going to say more on my name ;)

pvpham
07-14-2005, 07:11 AM
User deleted.