PDA

View Full Version : love the classics

merrycollie
06-28-2005, 08:29 AM
HI, I'm reading the 100 greatest novels of the 20th century. I started out just with the Modern Library list and now have expanded it to the radcliffe and the peoples choice, which overlaps anyways. Its a fun way to get read alot of great literature. I DO go off the lists to read other fiction. I realize there was a lot of controversy about these lists but I am only using them for my own growth.

Koa
06-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Quite interesting way I'd say... like a sort of challenge, in a way... I guess having a list kinda makes you go on and on to the next one... like it sort of adds curiosity.
It's similar to when I have a pile of books I bought but didn't read for lack of time, and then I start going through them.... while you use a pre-compiled list instead which I think is ok, it gives you ideas on what to read and after all you can build your own opinion about the books :)
Welcome to the forums, btw.

mono
06-28-2005, 03:00 PM
Very impressive, merrycollie - definitely a task I could never accomplish, but I certainly admire diligent readers who can. Do you have any favorites from the list so far?
Welcome to the forum. :)

merrycollie
06-29-2005, 06:07 AM
I especially like D.H. Lawrence, The Rainbow and Women In Love. I enjoy Hemingway, Steinbeck , Faulkner and Caldwell. I have only read about 40 so far. I don't read in order, but pick and choose according to my mood. I didn't care for Philip Roth's Portney's Complaint and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.I found Howards End by E.M. Forster stuffy and boring, along with A Room With A View. There are others I really liked. The Great Gatsby, by F.Scott Fitzgerald, Henderson The Rain King, by Saul Bellow, Winesburg Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson,The Bridge of San Luis Rey By Thornto Wilder. I could go on and on. If anyone is also reading from this list I would love to discuss likes and dislikes.

mono
06-30-2005, 12:27 AM
I especially like D.H. Lawrence, The Rainbow and Women In Love. I enjoy Hemingway, Steinbeck , Faulkner and Caldwell. I have only read about 40 so far. I don't read in order, but pick and choose according to my mood. I didn't care for Philip Roth's Portney's Complaint and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.I found Howards End by E.M. Forster stuffy and boring, along with A Room With A View. There are others I really liked. The Great Gatsby, by F.Scott Fitzgerald, Henderson The Rain King, by Saul Bellow, Winesburg Ohio, by Sherwood Anderson,The Bridge of San Luis Rey By Thornto Wilder. I could go on and on. If anyone is also reading from this list I would love to discuss likes and dislikes.
Ah, we will get along quite well, it seems! :)
I absolutey love Virginia Woolf and E.M. Forster, but I take no offense, understanding the diversity of others' palates for literature. D.H. Lawrence, Ernest Hemingway, and John Steinbeck, however, I can, without hesitation, call some of my favorite writers in the English language.

Asim
07-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi, I 2 am a classic lover but not that tall yet...why don't u tell me some of ur best ones..

merrycollie
07-05-2005, 08:55 PM
The Grapes of Wrath,The Great Gatsby,Henderson The Rain King, Winesburg Ohio, As I Lay Dying, The Bridge of san Luis Rey, Ragtime, Tobacco Road, The Sheltering Sky, From Here To Eternity, A farewell To Arms. Just to name a few.

Emerald
07-15-2005, 12:06 AM
William Shakespeare and Virginia Woolf are my absolute favourites - they are definitely two of the greatest English writers of all time. Am reading 'The Voyage Out' at the moment - very interesting. :banana:

mono
07-15-2005, 01:08 AM
William Shakespeare and Virginia Woolf are my absolute favourites - they are definitely two of the greatest English writers of all time. Am reading 'The Voyage Out' at the moment - very interesting.
Very nice, diverse choices. I also love William Shakespeare and Virginia Woolf; with Woolf, it seems, so many readers tend to either adore her work, or think very little of it, to speak nicely. She amazes me, and how pleasant to meet another big fan. :nod: