PDA

View Full Version : Coops-- Reaction

tallcoopscoach
06-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Being that this is your first post, react to what you've read with more than, "It is dumb." or, "I don't get it." Thos are "dumb" responses. Be somewhat insightful and make sure I know who is typing. :banana:
The banana is extra. Now, show me how smart you are.

Snukes
06-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Extra dumb response: Huh?

Scheherazade
06-22-2005, 05:22 PM
I will start by smartly moving this thread to the Introductions section rather than Oedipus Trilogy... ;)

Welcome to the Forum, Tallcoopscoach!

porterfield21
06-22-2005, 10:58 PM
I think that this book is really good. I've started reading, and I'm about a fourth of the way through the second story, and i love it. Oedipus seems like a stuck-up sorta guy, but maybe things will turn out better for him. I didn't like how it was all twisted with his mom being his wife, and having his kids. Sort of creepy. I enjoyed how Oedipus slowly develops as a character. I can't really see him coming around full circle yet, but he has a lot to learn, and to put his trust in, but I think circumstances will perhaps turn around for the better. I also enjoyed the incorporation of the curse that was laid upon Oedipus when he was born that he would kill his father. It acts as an underlying meaning of something that may affect the later outcome of Oedipus's life.

Nightshade
06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
hello:wave:
its too early to try and understand what any of you are on about but welcome anyways :)
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing30.gif

thebodystjohn
06-24-2005, 06:04 PM
THIS IS TAYLOR ST. JOHN! Through the Oedipus Cycle Sophocles has successfully told a bold, violent, and troubling tale weaved with beautifully poetic language and ultra-simplicity. Sophocles takes the characters in the play and places them in extraordinary circumstances to reveal to the reader many challenging ideas about destiny (and the character's ability/inability to control it) and uncompromising battle between good and evil in a world that believes that there is nothing in between. Oedipus Rex and Antigone were bold and daring plays that used graphic situations to bring about equally daring ideas. For this reason I enjoyed them much more than Oedipus at Collosus, which lacked origional thought but served as a perfect link between the first and last plays. The fault of Oedipus at Collonus was that it took too long to tell the reader too little. Oedipus Rex was effective enough on its own and didn't need to be followed up with the epilouge of Rex's existence that. Oedipus's inability to control his destiny no matter how hard he tried and suffered was proved in the first play and, though the reader sympathizes with Oedipus, I think the theme of Oedipus Rex was weakened in the second play. The story of Oedipus Rex was complex, manipulative, and troubling ,and with Sophocles's words, was a great cycle of plays.

Taylor St. John

JWright
06-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Julia Wright- I thoroughly enjoyed the plays. It is obvious that the Sophocles Trilogy was written by an intellect. For example, in Oedipus Rex, Teiresias doesn't just tell Oedipus that he's damaging his own future. He says "You weave your own doom." Extremely powerful words are used which allows any reader, immature or experienced, to understand the entirety of the plays. Hardly anything is confusing. For example, Teiresias comes right out and says that Oedipus is "the murderer whom [he] seek[s]." He didn't try to be subtle. Ideas and thoughts are blunt and to the point which enables simplicity and ensures that readers will not be confused. It is difficult to comprehend and enjoy any piece of literature that appears to be complex. For this reason, I found myself completely fulfilled and satisfied after reading the Sophocles Trilogy. -Julia Wright

amuse
06-28-2005, 07:35 PM
this isn't my first post though. ;)

chmpman
06-29-2005, 02:53 AM
I don't understand this thread. Sorry if that is dumb.

Scheherazade
06-29-2005, 03:01 AM
Join the club, Chpman! ;)

*offers you a 'I-Don't-Understand-This-Thread Club badge*

mono
06-29-2005, 05:01 AM
*offers you a 'I-Don't-Understand-This-Thread Club badge*
Save one for me too, Scher. Chmpman spoke, I think, on behalf of many of us.
The beginner of the thread made a bold statement, but did he/she intend it as a gift of wisdom? Surely, we can only afford one post out of such a divine opinion. :lol:

ilar18
06-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Jerry Ilar --- After reading Oedipus Rex, I found the play very enjoying. The play was not complicated at all, and I had understood the play with ease. I found it interesting that Oedipus was doomed to the fate of the many prophecies. All the characters, from King Laios to Queen Iocaste and Oedipus, tried to take their fate in their own hands to change their destiny. But when trying to change their fate, they had fulfilled the prophecies in the end. For example the Queen Iocaste gave Oedipus away to change the fate that Kind Laios would die. In the end, Oedipus does kill his father and marries his mother. The plot was simplistic in understanding and it reveals a theme that one cannot take control of destiny.

Jerry Ilar

porterfield21
07-03-2005, 01:21 PM
This is Bekah Porterfield, just posting to let you know that i'll be gone starting today, until the 9th because i'm going to be up @ my church camp:) hope you're having a good summer! thanks

Sernick-looloo
07-03-2005, 01:21 PM
I am finished with Oedipus Rex and halfway through Colonus.For starters I knew the basic story before I read it and I was surprised that I wasn't appalingling disgusted that Oedipus did his mom. I felt that the fate that followed Oedipus whereever he went was ridiculous because why live life if it is not really yours to live- or at least your journey to make!? Oedipus makes very rash and thoughtless decisions, like gougeing his eyes out, but that uncontrolled emotion makes him seem more human and there fore I, the reader, can relate to him on at least a human level. I just saw a play last night called "Dave DaVincci Saves The Universe" and in it he creates a time machine to change his past and stop his daughter from commiting suicide but in the end you realise that it is the time machine that killes his daughter because be he returnes to just before the death he angers her enough for her to kill her self. In that scenerio the time machine killed his daughter when it was built to save her and Oedipus's flight to Thebes to save himself and his family only caused the downfall of himself and his family. Supporting the theme that fate is inevitable.

KWikstrom
07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
First off I would like to say that I do not feel sorry for Oedipus and his dire fate in the least little bit. I disliked his character from the start and saw in him a temper and an arrogance that could easily become one's downfall. Creon spoke aloud the thoughts that were running through my head when he said "Ugly in yielding, as you were ugly in rage! Natures like yours chiefly torment themselves (page 36, Oedipus Rex)." True, his resistance to the reasoning of those such as Creon and Teiresias could have sprung from some sort of guilt that he already felt inside; however, a wise man (as his subjects so vehemently claim that he is in the beginning of Oedipus Rex) would calm himself and hear all sides of a story. Sophocles himself made this sort of statement several times throughout his plays. It was an absolute thrill for me to read these plays, because they were filled with wisdoms and philosophies that I have often tried to apply to myself and my life. My favorite character was the kind and patient Theseus, who said "It is not in words that I should wish my life to be distinguished, but rather in things done." Sophocles knew all too well that character traits that would make or break a person - as he showed through the rise and fall of Oedipus and his relations. I greatly admired Creon for his reasoning skills and the fact that he seemed prone to follow strictly the laws of the country - even when he had made them himself and they led him into hardships. I think that a good leader should realize that special exceptions cannot be made every time a privileged person decides to do something rash (and by the way, Antigone's actions, though brave, were definitely rash and could easily have resulted in her death accomplishing nothing). All in all, I think Sophocles does an excellent job in teaching several important lessons - both morally, socially, politically, and personally.

ahehl663
07-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I am about halfway through Oedipus at Colonus, and I really enjoy reading these plays. Sophocles presents his story in a straightforward, easy-to-read style. I find it very easy to keep my attention on the book. I also like his characters because no one is simple. For example, Oedipus at first seems to be a typical hero character-brave, unselfish, and honest. He is a great king. As the plot progresses, his dark side comes out and we see that he has some rage inside him. The complicated characters make me want to read on, and figure out the reasons behind their actions, and the consequences. Overall, I admire Sophocles’ clear-cut style and the depth of his characters.
As for themes, I find fate very interesting. I'm not sure if I believe in it. It gets so philosophical, and I just love that. So as a whole, I'm liking these plays! :nod:

ASHLEY HEHL :thumbs_up

Reynoldswrap
07-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Being about 3/4 of the way through Oedipus rex my impressions are still developing. I like how the novel is written resembling a story that a grandfather would tell eager listners. I however do not like the play format, i would rather it be written simply as a book. It seems that sophocles is attempting to develop a theme concerning a certain inescapable fate. The fact that we cannot control our destiny is an interesting spin on the humanistic life we live. All the characters are running from this inescapable fate and it is sure to get them in the end. I like this theme because it is one that is rarely addressed in todays literature. The play reads quickly im just slow at reading it. It is clear and difinitive but still envelops the reader with metaphors. Peace :brow:

That Hoyer Guy
07-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Jonathan Hoyer

Okay, Mr. Annen, I finally found the thread, so I can stop sending you all those e-mails :p
I'm finding the Oedipus Cycle pretty good. I found it a lot easier reading than I would normally expect from usual Greek poetry. There were some parts, like towards the end of Oedipus Rex, where I seriously couldn't put the book down, it was so exciting! I found myself pitying Oedipus throughout the first two plays. Because, even though some might say things like "Ahh, Oedipus killed his dad and married his mother! He's evil!" it really wasn't Oedipus' fault. He couldn't stop fate from doing its work. And then his sons booted him out of the city like a beggar for twenty years, all because of the same inescapable fate. But still, he seems pretty arrogant, what with all his rudeness with the prophet Teiresias and not forgiving his sons before he died. I didn't really like Oedipus at Colonus that much. There was too much talking and "woe is me" kind of stuff, and not as much action. However, the whole "Oedipus dying mysteriously" thing was pretty cool.
Personally, I would think that with all the characters worshipping Gods and the "judgment of the Gods", they would actually accept their fate! It seems like every time a character is given a pre-ordained fate by the gods, they try to change it or run away from it, like Oedipus did. What, do they think they can outsmart the gods or something? I think Fate vs. Choice is definitely a strong theme in these plays.