PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new.

sKorpia
06-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Hey, a literature forum in vBulletin! Finally!!

Hello all.

My interest is primarily in the graphic novel medium, most genres (though I've a leaning towards the fantastic, the supernatural, the everyday, and the ridiculously cute). I've also been very interested and influenced by cross-cultural writings, especially Asian-American feelings and diaspora.

Looking forward to my stay. What's the general feeling about graphic novels/comic books around here anyhow?

Koa
06-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Let me be the first to say hi then... Enjoy the forums, I hope you'll feel as good here as we all do :) Your interests seem...well pardon me the repetion...interesting, though I must confess I'm not quite sure about what you mean by graphic novels? :confused:

Taliesin
06-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Hi and welcome to the lit forums.
Looking at your profile, we guess that you like Gaimans "Sandman" series.

Koa, a graphic novel is similar to a comic book (in form).

Bongitybongbong
06-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Welcome, I love the name sKorpia

Nightshade
06-14-2005, 04:43 AM
hello http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing33.gif
:wave:
I usually have somthing of intrest (well to me at least if no one else ;)) to say but unfortunatly my brain and creative thinking box have been temporeroly mis lain so all can say is Hello
:lol: ;)

Logos
06-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Hello sKorpia! I'm not much of a fan of comics, but I was wondering what exactly are `graphic novels'?

sKorpia
06-14-2005, 07:54 AM
we guess that you like Gaimans "Sandman" series.

We guess correctly. Sandman and its attendant stories about Death have been my introductions to Gaiman. I've become a fervent fan of Death and enjoy her perspectives on life. When I have the time and money, I'll be reading through the rest of his collections in the fiction world (Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys, etc.), the children's fiction world (Coraline and Stardust), and of course the comic book world.

what exactly are `graphic novels'?

Remember, you asked for it. :p

Graphic novels have a couple of different definitions depending on who you ask. The purest example of graphic novels are self-contained stories such as Craig Thompson's Blankets, Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis, Art Spiegelman's Maus, and (more recently in public consciousness) Frank Miller's Sin City series. They are presented using the same medium as comic books (pictures and words displayed in a sequential manner). They've also never been presented previously in comic book monthly format. If you go to your local Borders or B&N and peruse the comic book section, you'll also find trade paperbacks (TPBs). They look like graphic novels but they're actually the compilation of an ongoing comic book series. Batman, Justice League of America, Astonishing X-Men, etc. all have trades out for the people who don't like buying their comic book stories monthly. Alan Moore's seminal Watchmen also falls into this category. And comic books are, of course, the single issues that are released mostly monthly and typically contain 32 pages.

Manga's been throwing some of these terms askew because they're technically TPBs but are typically marketed as graphic novels. On the other hand, while a volume of manga will have 5-6 issues in it, I don't think those 5-6 issues have ever been released as single issues in and of themselves.

Koa
06-14-2005, 09:38 AM
wait...so a graphic novel looks like a comic magazine but it's as big and complex as a novel? and it must not be mistaked with collections of the many single issues of a comic series? or am i getting it wrong?

Bongitybongbong
06-14-2005, 01:18 PM
I think that's right Koa.