PDA

View Full Version : the "beautiful"dorian

fzeko
06-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I must say that I enjoyed reading this book tremendously. I was left speechless many times by the philosophical points that Mr. Wilde was making and had to go back several many times to read them and try to make some sense out of them.
I found myself applying the character of Dorian into today’s society and the vanity that possesses people nowadays. Dorian reminded me of the people, and especially woman, who will do anything including plastic surgery to maintain their superficial beauty. Dorian has created a world of a fairy tail because he is too weak to deal with reality.
Unfortunately, he does not realize that the most beautiful fairy tail it is life itself with its obstacles and its unique beauty.

mono
06-06-2005, 10:49 PM
I recently had the great pleasure of reading Oscar Wilde's The Picture Of Dorian Gray after numerous recommendations, along with The Importance Of Being Earnest - a brilliant play.
After reading Dorian Gray, I can easily call it one of my favorite novels of all time, though I could never narrow down such a list to, perhaps, fewer than 20 books.
I certainly see what you mean when speaking of the nature of the character, Dorian Gray. He seemed to sacrifice so much to continue his Hedonistic acts, ruining others' lives by driving them mad, and hindering all sight of his ravaged portrait. Then, in turn, like all seemingly beautiful yet impure things, he destroyed himself; focusing all emphasis on himself for the ridiculous number of years after his fiancé's death, cheating death by his own dishonest means, he finally wore himself down.
Additionally, the forum book club nominated this novel to read a few months ago; you may find this thread worth a look:
http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2086

Scheherazade
06-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I agree with both comments but it is also important to remember, I believe, that Dorian is a product of his society. It is true that he was prone to certain things and gave in very easily. However, if people around him had not encouraged him in that way and concentrated on his physical beauty so much, he wouldn't have acted the way he did. (Same thing goes for the recent 'vanity trend' in our society as well).

mono
06-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I could not agree more, Scher. Dorian Gray only began his series of self-depleting events when receiving his granted wish of retaining beauteous youth, as the rest of the world seemed to exploit (maybe not the right word) his characteristics. His ending of life, I find an mysteriously admirable, modest, yet disturbing conclusion done by Oscar Wilde, as both the nature and nurture of Dorian Gray led to it - as you said, Scher, the product from society Dorian Gray morphed, and the fictional characters mere outlook of unlimited grandiosity.

fzeko
06-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the link, mono. It was quite interesting and illuminating.
fzeko

fzeko
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
I couldn't agree more with your comment Scher. I totally believe that we are born with certain traits and characteristics and the environment that we grow up in either reinforces those or diminishes them. At this point I also have to say that I came to the realization that Oscar Wilde suggest strongly that we become products of the society that we live in.

kazhak
06-21-2005, 01:33 AM
I read the book yesterday and it had a profound impact on me. I wish it had been longer and the time gaps between a few chapters filled in a bit more. But clearly deserving the label of a 'classic' - and it does.

aberration
07-12-2005, 09:06 PM
I think one of the reasons that "Dorian Gray" appeals to so many people, so long after it was written is that it's a timeless classic. In the same way as Shakespeare, Wilde wrote about ideals that ring true throughout the course of civilisation. What we experience now, "the vanity that possesses people nowadays", has been around since 'cultured' civilisation began and even before. The reason people go to such extraordinary lengths to satisfy their vanity in contemporary society is because they can. If such technology was available to Gray he may well have taken that option but whose to say his soul wouldnt have suffered just as much. Wilde is brilliant. He really hit on something in that book...