PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading!

Scheherazade
05-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Now that the summer holiday is around the corner,
would you like to have a special summer read along with our usual monthly books?

It can be a particularly long book
like Shogun, Canterbury Tales or The Decameron

or

sequels
like Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion.

Please nominate the book(s) you would like to read by June 10th.
The voting will take place between June 11-30
and
we will be reading and discussing throughout the holidays.

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Scheherazade
05-26-2005, 04:48 AM
I will nominate The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I haven't read these and since there are seven stories in the collection, we can read them in between other books throughout the summer.

Taliesin
05-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Scher, We are confused. Will there be a July book too or will there just be a summer book?

Actually, We'd love to read some Strugatski so we will nominate something by them just to sort-of-a deposit it. Plus, of course, it is a good book, but perhaps we are more clear, we can nominate some series. (the complete works of Balzac :p )

We nominate "Hard to be god" by Strugatski brothers.

Scheherazade
05-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Yes, we will be reading our regular books in July, August and September but also have a "Summer Project" to read (those of us who want of course) to keep us busy during the holidays. And please don't nominate the complete works of Balzac! ;)

Nightshade
05-26-2005, 09:23 AM
well I probably wont join in as I have to read war and peace, gone with the wind and Anna Karena this summer
Oh and Dune if it doesnt win in August! oh and all the Jaklin Wilson books
(i fully intend to read all the top 100 big read books!!)

Scheherazade
05-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Narnia is one of the Big Reads I believe...

Why don't you nominate one of those books as summer reading and make everyone else read with you? ;)

Nightshade
05-26-2005, 09:35 AM
yes I started the Narnia books last year didnt finish them though got side tracked!
I wont force everyone else to read them because Iintend to read them during the three weeks we are on 'holiday' seeing cousins across the globe and going to 3 weddings and I wont have internet access frequently so Ill need thick books to survive!!

papayahed
05-26-2005, 09:35 AM
I'm planning on reading "In Cold Blood", "The Davinci Code", "Rebecca" , "Henry V", "Titus Andronicus" and "The Pilgrims Progress" so I'll nominate anyone of those, whichever...

Nightshade
05-26-2005, 09:36 AM
oh I want to read Davinci code! yes nominate that!
hello papayahed

papayahed
05-26-2005, 10:26 AM
:wave: hi Night!!

ok, I nominate The Davinci Code. I can't believe I'm nominating that book. I've been shunning it because of all the popularity, then a friend gave me the book, now I have to read it.

Jay
05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
The Hobbit & the LOTR trilogy? In case anyone else aside of me haven't read it yet :rolleyes:

Nightshade
05-26-2005, 03:50 PM
oh please no!! Im consirderd a fast reader and it took me 6 whole days to read LOTR!
on the other hand is the hobbit any better?

Nightshade
05-27-2005, 04:41 AM
hello sher
whats the limit?? :cool:

Scheherazade
05-27-2005, 04:43 AM
Good morning, Night! :)

One nomination per member and maximum 10 nominations altogether.

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showpost.php?p=57103&postcount=1

Taliesin
05-31-2005, 02:19 PM
On the other hand, when we still have August reading, we can nominate HtbG for it. On the other hand, here is not much competition. Perhaps it's chances are greater here.
On the other hand, we could nominate a series here.
We were humming and hawing between Hard to be God, something by Eco(well, it is not a series, but well, it surely beats Brown), and four parts of the Earthsea trilogy.
By tossing a very special coin(dice), we have decided to change our nomination into
"Wizard of Earthsea", "Tombs of Atuan", "The Farthest Shore" and "Tehanu" aka the Earthsea trilogy by Ursula le Guin.
Well, if we change our minds (which we will probably do) we have plenty of time to change our nomination.

amuse
05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
ooh, nice choice. still haven't read Tehanu.

Scheherazade
06-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Nominations so far for our Summer Reading:

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

The Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula le Guin

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

The Hobbit & the LOTR Trilogy by Tolkien

Last week of nominations! :)

mister_noel_y2k
06-10-2005, 06:42 AM
the dice man by luke rhinehart

:banana:

Nightshade
06-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Rebbeca By (soory cant spell it) but you know the one I mean scher its on the Big read list :D :nod:

Jay
06-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Daphne du Maurier :p (or something like that ;))

Nightshade
06-11-2005, 06:12 PM
yupp thats it :D