PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Selvan
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
This is a wonderful novel. Virginia woolf's writing is realy impresive. The emotional scenes told here are influencive. Its realy sad that she committed suicide. If woolf had lived for some more years ,we ,probaaly, would have gotten some more writings of her which surely would have been different.

pea-nutt
10-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Surely after you have just read one novel of Virginia’s you would understand how she's feel's about her present world and how insignificant she felt as a person, as a women in the early 1900's. I once ask myself that exact question, why would a woman commit suicide, when her novels and her literature is so compelling? But within each of us, we have our own idea’s of the world, of people and of ourselves, so even though other people might have facts about why they died I don’t think that is exactly right, as they cant look into a person’s soul and truly understand from their point of view.

EdParkes
11-16-2005, 11:00 PM
If Virginia Woolf had been of a different, more stable, and less volatile nature.. she would probably never have written the profound and wonderful novels which she did write. If Woolf had been a Mrs Dalloway - an archetypal mother and conventional woman - there would have been no novels at all.

Scheherazade
11-17-2005, 03:14 AM
If Virginia Woolf had been of a different, more stable, and less volatile nature.. she would probably never have written the profound and wonderful novels which she did write. If Woolf had been a Mrs Dalloway - an archetypal mother and conventional woman - there would have been no novels at all.You say it as if that would have been a bad thing!

:p

umb1961
09-13-2006, 05:51 PM
I felt that when reading Jacob's Room, I had to release all prior notions and ideas on how to read a novel. The imagery and inclusion in her stream of consciousness gave a dream-like impression and a feeling of a disjointed dream. This being her first attempt at finding her "voice", I'm not sure she succeeded. She seems to flip-flop from her new direction back to the old school approach. I constantly felt I was admitted into her world, but not completely, and this led to my confusion. Any ideas out there on how to approach reading this book and making some sense out of it? Or is that the purpose, to be allowed inside her world and be forced to create your own interpretation of what she has placed before you? Is she advocating readers to become more interactive with their literature and come to your own conclusions?

Equality72521
06-14-2008, 02:49 PM
You say it as if that would have been a bad thing!

:p

Hahahahaha. It definately wouldn't be.