PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Meg
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
I did enjoy this novel, despite the lack of ending. Unfortunately I saw the movie first (a classic). Gaskell's writing style reminds me very much of Jane Austen's with a lot of the same characteristics. I had a very hard time at first understanding Molly's immediate liking to Cynthia, considering Cynthia's background and present selfishness. She is completely unlike Molly. But I guess that Molly's was more of a sisterly love where she wanted to do anything for her. I never liked Mr. Preston (of course!). And Hyacinth absolutely makes me want to kill her. I consider her the antagonist of the novel. I suppose her father did have to live with the consequences, but I would have been perfectly happy if she had died off at the end of the novel. I was disappointed that there was no ending, but it was well worth reading just the same.

PistisSophia
06-06-2005, 09:12 PM
I did enjoy this novel, despite the lack of ending. Unfortunately I saw the movie first (a classic). Gaskell's writing style reminds me very much of Jane Austen's with a lot of the same characteristics. I had a very hard time at first understanding Molly's immediate liking to Cynthia, considering Cynthia's background and present selfishness. She is completely unlike Molly. But I guess that Molly's was more of a sisterly love where she wanted to do anything for her. I never liked Mr. Preston (of course!). And Hyacinth absolutely makes me want to kill her. I consider her the antagonist of the novel. I suppose her father did have to live with the consequences, but I would have been perfectly happy if she had died off at the end of the novel. I was disappointed that there was no ending, but it was well worth reading just the same.

I agree....a good read and written in such a charmingly feminine way, which is hard to describe.

The PBS version on TV was very true to the story, also.

Scheherazade
06-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Although I read this book, very long time, I remember enjoying it too and being disappointed with the ending. It is true that there are some elements in style which reminds of Austen, I think Gaskell's work lacks Austen's sense of humour and satirical approach to the society in general.