PDA

View Full Version : title of book

Shallot
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
I am not sure, but I think it comes from a biblical quotation, doesn't it?

Unregistered
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
why is "The House of Mirth" or should I say where does the title of this book come from???

prcmd
08-20-2006, 09:27 PM
This summer at my synagogue, we are studying Ecclesiastes, from which the Pete Seegar song, "Turn, Turn, Turn" borrowed heavily, and later popularized by the Byrds.

The second chapter specifically refers to the house of mirth. The authorship is attributed by many scholars to King Solomon, though the narrator's name is translated from Hebrew to be "The Assembler." Whoever the true author was, he was extremely rich and privileged, looking back over his life and seeing that all his efforts, noble or not, are futile and he will still die. He asks, then why should we live? It's a beautifully poetic existential work. I recommend reading it as a carefully thought out and felt discussion of the ultimate meaning of life. It's not a work I would recommend to someone full of idealism without some guidance, such as a Lily Bart. The House of Mirth can be viewed from that context.

glassangel
01-07-2007, 04:22 PM
"The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth."

Ecclesiastes 7:4 (http://www.bartleby.com/108/21/7.html)

The book of Ecclesiastes is attributed to King Solomon