PDA

View Full Version : Professor

Claire Copeland
09-13-2003, 01:00 AM
I Love Villette, all of Charlotte Bronte's works. She had more courage to be honest about emotion than any other novelist in the English Language. She is much more than a frustrated "spinster" but truly a courageous soul that had much to endure in her life. She felt emotions such as love, loss and rage that Jane Austen never touched yet Jane Austen is so praised. Why doesn't the literary world recognize Charlotte Bronte for the genius of feeling that she was? It is a great pity that she is so underappreciated when she has so much to tell us all about life, so much to tell us about ourselves if we would only be honest with our own emotions... honest and not afraid of them like Jane Austen.

Alistair Brown
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
If you enjoyed "Villette", or are examining the work critically, try looking at fascinating earlier novel "The Professor", which uses much of the same source material but with significant and illuminating variations, particularly the fact that the narrator is a male persona.

Okaybee
11-10-2013, 09:42 AM
I Love Villette, all of Charlotte Bronte's works. She had more courage to be honest about emotion than any other novelist in the English Language. She is much more than a frustrated "spinster" but truly a courageous soul that had much to endure in her life. She felt emotions such as love, loss and rage that Jane Austen never touched yet Jane Austen is so praised. Why doesn't the literary world recognize Charlotte Bronte for the genius of feeling that she was? It is a great pity that she is so underappreciated when she has so much to tell us all about life, so much to tell us about ourselves if we would only be honest with our own emotions... honest and not afraid of them like Jane Austen.

Just adding that I agree completely with what you have said! Bronte had an amazing ability to describe and transfer the emotions of her characters and remains one of my favorite authors.