PDA

View Full Version : not too bad

Janice
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Although the novel was a leaning on the tedious side, merit must be given. The novel had a simple plot that frames the complicated familial relationships between the Dr. Sloper, the father, and his daughter Catherine. <br><br>Allusions of Violetta and Mrs. Bennet could be found, and James' distinct style of unraveling the plot is visible. <br><br>I have to admit it is not one of James' best works, but it is nevertheless still a notable novel.

MARIANNE M
11-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Yes, that may be true. But still it is my favorite novel amongst all others he wrote ;)

Gladys
11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
...a simple plot that frames the complicated familial relationships between the Dr. Sloper, the father, and his daughter Catherine These complicated familial relationships' make the novel a work of genius, if slow moving early.

Sloper's relationship with his daughter, following her offer, "I sometimes think that if I do what you dislike so much, I ought not to stay with you", is a tragedy of the highest order. A sad story of misunderstanding - with a desperately sad ending.