PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

jenni
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
in all honesty, I disliked the turn of the screw, not b/c I am ignorant and cannot appreate it, but simply b/c I do not like the lost and confused feeling it leaves me. when I read, watch a movie, etc, I like to understand what is going on and form clear opinions on the subject. with this book, I constantly find myself second guessing my conclusiuons and furiously rewritting my research paper over and again. I believe that the governess is somewhat crazy, but I cannot find enough hard evidence in the tale to support said theory. therefore, I am sticking with the belief that she is truly seeing ghosts and if anyone else shares this belief, help would be so wonderful b/c I am feeling somewhat lost. thnx

Angelfeathers84
07-22-2007, 03:09 AM
I agree with you.I felt as though Miss.Jessens and Peter Quint were controlling the children like puppets from the grave -and the governess may have been a little neurotic before but, the ghosts made it worse.Also, it seemed like the children(or the ghosts) were trying to stop the governess from uncovering their secret by driving her away (to put it lightly)like the former governess.I also noticed Ms.Grose seemed to beleive the governess at times.So I feel that it WAS ghosts.

classicreader
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of Henry James, and find I have now read two of his books. This one and Portrait of a Lady. I don't think I will read another. I almost had to read it aloud to understand what is going on, the old language is hard for me. :( Anyway yes there are ghost/ghosts. Remember in the beginning of the book, it is a ghost story, being told to a some ladies, by "Douglas". Almost everyone reveiwing this book assumes the governess is a little crazy, but the end bears out all her assumptions AND it is a ghost story which usually has ghost, demons and such. Why over analyze it.:idea: