PDA

View Full Version : sons and lovers

meli
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
i really liked this book, i felt at the beginning it would never, ever end, but when i started to understand the need Mrs. Morel felt to live through her sons i started to like it...she wanted to have the life she couldn't with her useless husband, but she doesn´t notice that, by doing so, she is sending her sons life to hell and consecuently, it is them who cannot have a life.

Dipen Guha
01-16-2010, 03:46 AM
when you have experienced "Sons and Lovers", you have lived through the agonies of the young Lawrence stirring to win free from his own life. Generally,it is not only considered as an evocative portrayal orf working-class life in a mining community, but also an intense study of family, class and early sexual relationships.
This is the most autobiographical of all Lawrence's works as the author himself had similar relationship with his own mother. The use of this Oedipal theme is one of a number of Freudian concepts he used throughout his books. Like many of his works "Sons and Lovers" was criricized when first published for obscenity.

cosmo
01-23-2010, 12:47 PM
this is a heart wrenching book & very contemporary. i'm sorry i cannot agree with you that Mrs. Morel's son cannot have a life. there is definitely oedipus complex. actually, Mrs. Morel's son wanted to be as much attached to her as she wanted to be with him. she was unfulfilled by her husband & she had put all her expectations on her sons - as such, when one dies, the other HAS to come forward to take the responsibilities. the mother really wants to see his son prosper, but always centering her. on the other hand, the son also sticks with her as a magnet. it is not until some years later when the son starts to see the outer world that he understands that a mother cannot fill a wife's place and vice-versa.
it is not that he was NOT living a life. he was, in fact, living it partially, & to fulfill it, he had to come out of the influence of the mother. but he regrets in the end for not caring for her enough in her deathbed.( the point is clear in Lawrence's poem- SORROW)

Gladys
02-16-2010, 06:27 AM
she was unfulfilled by her husband & she had put all her expectations on her son

Mr Morel's situation is ever heartbreaking: a decent, honest, hard-working man who, from the start, is not good enough for a conceited wife.

Virgil
02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Mr Morel's situation is ever heartbreaking: a decent, honest, hard-working man who, from the start, is not good enough for a conceited wife.

Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. ;)