PDA

View Full Version : Orwell's Integrity

ryokan
08-07-2003, 09:41 PM
Greetings,
If Orwell were about today, he would become a trenchant observer about the corporate sponsored "Pentagon-coup" in the Middle East.
His integrity aroused much pro/con talk during his life, and fortunately for us, he ignored it and tried to find "truth and beauty" where he could. Where he could not find it, he openly described what was there to see to any _unbiased_ mind. He was above the "pro/con" fray. Such an open mind is rare today. We are obsessed by our own perceptions, and all others are suspect, which, ironically, is one of the undertones in _Animal Farm_ and _1984_. Self-absorpsion always leads to some form of totalitarian expression. Orwell would have easiy seen Big Brother's Newest Face in the Brave New World Order, now coming apart in Iraq.
I send respects to those who've lost someone in this "war." Its absurdist tone does not remove the real personal tragedies, among our own, and the Iraqi people. How easily do we forget the "little brown people" of the planet, when "all are God's children?"

imthefoolonthehill
08-08-2003, 12:28 AM
this is a literature forum, not a place for political disgussion or statements. Can it.

My hypocrisy is noted, but that changes nothing.

Munro
08-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Ryokan, I would love to discuss your idea about how Orwell would respond to todays political situation and environment, but as foolonthehill bluntly put it, Admin doesn't allow political discussions, which is fair enough in a literature forum.

Would we be allowed to discuss it privately through personal posts, Admin?

Zootopia
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Admin., can't an exception be made since Orwell was a political writer?