PDA

View Full Version : A question about poetry in general.

ajoe
08-07-2003, 05:48 PM
How do you know if a poem is a good one? I think I enjoy a poem when it rhymes and when I can relate to it. But really, how do you tell a good poem from a trashy one? I mean, it can't be the rhymes, because if any poems that both have rhymes and make sense are good, then that means those guys from Whose Line Is It Anyway? are poets and I'll be damned if they're poets. The show, by the way, I enjoy immensely. :)

gatsbysghost
08-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Honestly, that question can only be answered by you. It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are writing a poem to convey a feeling or story to others, it really shouldn't be so crammed full of symbolism that everyone who reads it just scratches their head and gives up. It doesn't neccesarily have to rhyme, either. You have heard of eye candy, correct? Poetry is mind candy. As far as structure and meter go, let's say, for instance, that you are writing a poem about a stream; when read aloud, the poem should flow off the tounge like the stream itself. If you were writing a poem about a traffic jam, you might want to play around with short lines and long lines, having some end abruptly like you were stopped at a traffic light. Adjectives, similies, metaphors, assonance, alltiteration, personification, they are all your friends. Sometimes, you may want to use adjectives abundantly. Other times, you may use them sparingly in favor of a few really powerful descriptions.

This question you have posed, is impossible to answer. If you write a poem, and you like it, and it makes sense to you, then you have written a good poem. Don't worry about what other people think. I like for my poems to have layers. I like to paint a picture, especially about nature or something beautiful, that evokes a strong image in the mind of those who read it, and can be enjoyed at face value, while possesing a deeper, hidden meaning.

I'm babbling. blah

Phoenix_Tears
08-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Most of the time i prefer poems to rhyme, i can read them easier. alas, my poems. I like ones of deep meaning that reflect human natures darker side, some darker than others. If you want honest opinion and to know if its good, then post and i solemnly swear on my Nana's grave that i will tell you the truth and nothing but.

Geeez.. this forum has suddenly burst wide open!!!!! D