PDA

View Full Version : No Subject

Katie
02-21-2004, 02:00 AM
Hey...umm...not to be rude, but did you read it at all? There is nothing unconventional about Cecil...he is the model of conformity, convention, dryness and timidity. George is unconventional and passionate. Did you perhaps get the two confused?

Kitty
05-16-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm sorry, DTW, but I think you have to possess an appreciation for the subtle to be able to appreciate EM Forster.

Unregistered
02-11-2005, 04:18 PM
sure u didnt miss the underlying metaphors and evident symbolism? and therefore miss the true story?

Star
03-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Katie,<br><br>Are you sure YOU read the book?<br><br>I was assigned the same book to read for my english class and I had a hard time focusing on the book. Cecil - you could argue that he's unconventional just like you could say he isn't. If you were a guy living in Edwardian times and your fiance just broke your engagement, would you be as calm as Cecil was? Most men in that time period would have been more domineering over their fiances because women were not allowed to think for themselves. Throughout the way Forster portrayed the character of Cecil as the narrowminded gentleman, he did include in his character traits that were extremely unconventional - that's what made me somewhat interested in the book. While Cecil may be extremely dry and unadventourous throughout the book, that does not mean that he may have quirks in his personality that surprise the reader. And George? For all his unconvtionality, as soon as his name was mentioned, I automatically knew the ending of the book - the handsome prince marries Cinderella and lives happily ever after. Rather typical, don't you think?<br><br>I don't mean to rip your comments to shreds but i think you should carefully consider both sides of the personalities of the characters before you put each character into your own categories.

D.T.W
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I read 'A Room With a View', which was reccommended to me by a respectable person and when i open the book, I fell asleep. I am very sorry to say the least that the characters were not amusing and lacked spirit. The contexts and plot has been repeated throughout Edwardian novels. The only character i thoroughly enjoyed was Cecil, he added some unconventional humor and light to this very mundane book.<br><br>Cheerio.